Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

11.30RC1 Performance

Seems to be a bit worse performance for me.  But not by much, and not nearly as much as the 10-20 less FPS from the early betas.  So, I'm cool.  I'm happy to trade a little for the improved ground handling.  

47 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Seems to be a bit worse performance for me.  But not by much, and not nearly as much as the 10-20 less FPS from the early betas.  So, I'm cool.  I'm happy to trade a little for the improved ground handling.  

I flew the sim again this morning, Napa to Reno in a Lancair, and I was very pleased with not only the fps but the fluidity.  It is just so immersive, especially when I pan around the cockpit (aka business office, lol).  I do enjoy P3D too but I fly Xplane more, since I have better photo scenery in it, and its autogen is much better and more realistic, and night lighting, and atmospheric and horizon effects.  I know that stirs debate with P3D fans but as a P3D fan too I feel OK with making such statements.  Because of disk space I doubt I will ever get Xplane12 if and when it is released.  Laminar supports their releases for a long time, and some updates are as good as new releases, like the addition of the Aerolight 103 ultralight which I adore for VFR dead reckoning flight.  Pity no good one was ever released for P3D, but I have the Drifter two place Microlight for that sim, which is about as slow as one can fly unless one downloads my trike and installs it in P3D.  Such a pity my trike cannot be converted to Xplane11, I made it with FSDS2 almost a decade ago but it has legs....  As a real life Trike pilot I honed and honed the flight dynamics until they were 110 pct spot on, I made custom gauges for the Rotax 447 so the rpms would read back properly in XML so they would work with the successors to MSFS (P3D).

John

I did some more extensive comparisons today.  I flew around Florida in the DA-62 with live weather (overcast) in both 11.26 and 11.30rc1.  I definitely lose FPS in rc1.  Probably about 10 FPS overall.  I could peg it at about 60 FPS over the back country in 11.26 and the 40s most of the time, whereas I never really got much above the low 40s in rc1.  At airports and more dense areas, however, it was closer, with upper 30s in .26 and low 30s in rc1.

The thing is that I'm fairly positive that rc1 is a LOT smoother overall.  Both with respect to regular flight and panning the view.  I get a lot of what I would call microstutters all the time flying XP.  I get them in .26.  And panning always induces stutters.  In rc1, I couldn't get panning to stutter at all at any time.  I looked around a LOT.  Smooth at all times.  And the flying seemed a lot smoother and fluid as well.  The ground just flowed by smoothly at all times.  I got a little bit of a stutter on approach in rc1, but not nearly as much as usual.

Also, although the FPS was lower, it was more steady.  There were significantly lower margins of fluctuation.  

The only weird thing is that I get flashing in rc1.  It's as if there's a strobe light in the sky.  Not often, but it's there.  It seemed to happen a lot when I first loaded in.  Then it subsided.  I've noticed it several times when trying the beta version though.

I also noticed a drop of anywhere from 8-25 FPS with same settings vs 11.25. I mainly fly the Zibo 737.

Furthermore, my XP is crashing a LOT. I have the processor clocked to about 5.0 (i7 9700k - 8 core) and the card slightly OC too (GT 1080).

Card reads at close to 6.9GB loaded into it at any one time with some headroom left, but it is clear to me the whole system is struggling. It is an Alienware Auro R8, 3 weeks old, bought specifically for simming. 

I used to have all sliders at max apart from AA (one below top) and reflections etc turned off. Now I have to run all sliders one off max - this will see around 35-45 FPS with some clouds etc. All on a 1080p single monitor.

Laminar have pushed the envalope too far in my opinion. The 11.30R1 is not stable and is a hog on even strong systems. I hate to think what it would be like at 4k or if I decided to multi monitor. Very disappointing. 

1 hour ago, GONKO said:

I also noticed a drop of anywhere from 8-25 FPS with same settings vs 11.25. I mainly fly the Zibo 737.

Furthermore, my XP is crashing a LOT. I have the processor clocked to about 5.0 (i7 9700k - 8 core) and the card slightly OC too (GT 1080).

Card reads at close to 6.9GB loaded into it at any one time with some headroom left, but it is clear to me the whole system is struggling. It is an Alienware Auro R8, 3 weeks old, bought specifically for simming. 

I used to have all sliders at max apart from AA (one below top) and reflections etc turned off. Now I have to run all sliders one off max - this will see around 35-45 FPS with some clouds etc. All on a 1080p single monitor.

Laminar have pushed the envalope too far in my opinion. The 11.30R1 is not stable and is a hog on even strong systems. I hate to think what it would be like at 4k or if I decided to multi monitor. Very disappointing. 

You can't expect leveraging the power of your system by merely operating the sliders. I am sure there is a way for you to run high detail and smooth, but it will require some settings to be set via datarefs (using FlyWithLua). Just an example, "World Detail" -  anything other than max looks bad (holes in the scenery), the problem is, that since v11, the LOD setting is included with the World Detail slider (it was a separate slider in v10), essentially leaving you with the highest LOD setting ("1") when maxing the World Detail slider. By reducing the LOD to 2 or 3, you still get full scenery detail, just not drawn that far out. It's a reasonable trade-off, which heavily reduces CPU load (will come handy with the Zibo). Laminar has made the settings very easy in v11, but unfortunately, they prevent from loading one's system sophistically.

Another dataref setting that may break the chains around your CPU is water reflections. Same story, in v11, Laminar killed the slider. Set it to "1" via dataref (only clouds will be reflected), and boom, your Zibo experience will be rock solid 30FPS.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

5 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

You can't expect leveraging the power of your system by merely operating the sliders. I am sure there is a way for you to run high detail and smooth, but it will require some settings to be set via datarefs (using FlyWithLua). Just an example, "World Detail" -  anything other than max looks bad (holes in the scenery), the problem is, that since v11, the LOD setting is included with the World Detail slider (it was a separate slider in v10), essentially leaving you with the highest LOD setting ("1") when maxing the World Detail slider. By reducing the LOD to 2 or 3, you still get full scenery detail, just not drawn that far out. It's a reasonable trade-off, which heavily reduces CPU load (will come handy with the Zibo). Laminar has made the settings very easy in v11, but unfortunately, they prevent from loading one's system sophistically.

Another dataref setting that may break the chains around your CPU is water reflections. Same story, in v11, Laminar killed the slider. Set it to "1" via dataref (only clouds will be reflected), and boom, your Zibo experience will be rock solid 30FPS.

What specific plugins or FlyWithLua scripts do you use to play with the datarefs?

Thanks.

FlyWithLua is the plugin, and then you just address the specific datarefs in a script. No premade scripts needed.

For LOD (scenery drawing distance):

set("sim/private/controls/reno/LOD_bias_rat", X)

X = 1-5 ("Very High" to "Low") - try anyting from 1.5 to 3 for fair results.

For water reflections:

set("sim/private/controls/reno/draw_reflect_water05", X)

X = 0-5 ("None" to "Complete") - try 1 for only having clouds reflect.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 3

-

23 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

FlyWithLua is the plugin, and then you just address the specific datarefs in a script. No premade scripts needed.

For LOD (scenery drawing distance):

set("sim/private/controls/reno/LOD_bias_rat", X)

X = 1-5 ("Very High" to "Low") - try anyting from 1.5 to 3 for fair results.

For water reflections:

set("sim/private/controls/reno/draw_reflect_water05", X)

X = 0-5 ("None" to "Complete") - try 1 for only having clouds reflect.

Can you tell me what Fly with Lua is. I have heard it mentioned. I am new to XP, so not fully up on all the tricks that can be used or done to get the FPS and rendering dialled in. 

Up to now, I am only using sliders. Can you explain a little bit more what is is, where I get it...and any other info you think relevant. 

Thank you so much.

38 minutes ago, GONKO said:

Can you tell me what Fly with Lua is. I have heard it mentioned. I am new to XP, so not fully up on all the tricks that can be used or done to get the FPS and rendering dialled in. 

Up to now, I am only using sliders. Can you explain a little bit more what is is, where I get it...and any other info you think relevant. 

Thank you so much.

At first it's important to understand that what we are talking about is datarefs - variables that allow us to change how X-Plane looks/works. They are an X-Plane feature and may be viewed and edited using the plugin "Dataref Editor" - but all changes made are lost once you quit X-Plane. Hence we need FlyWithLua, which allows us to put these edits in a file (a "script"), so X-Plane will always load these changes when it starts up - basically datarefs are sliders made of code, sliders that otherwise wouldn't be accessible.

Check this:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38445-flywithlua-ng-next-generation-edition-for-x-plane-11-win-lin-mac/

It's all a lot easier than it first looks. It is a plugin that runs in the background. It allows you to run scripts. Those scripts are basically .txt files that you rename .lua - and put in the Scripts folder that resides within the FlyWithLua folder.  If you create a .lua file using the two lines I explained above, you should be able to free a lot of CPU time. Make sure to get Dataref Editor, so you can monitor your changes while you play around with the scripts (it can all be messed with while X-Plane is running, scripts may be reloaded at any time).

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1

-

Is there a way to increase/decrease a number of trees with the above method? Is there a line to add for that?

Thanks!

Ooof, the salt in this thread. I'm a P3D guy but have XP11 installed and up to date to check in on progress. Yes there are still many of my personal wish list items missing from XP and who knows if they will ever be added, but I will say that there seems to have been more substantial progress made in what seems to be less time since XP10 ended to the current iteration of XP11. Nothing spurs innovation like competition so here's to LR bringing their best! 

Chris

11.30rc1: not completely satisfied.

The LOD issue appeared in 11.30b7 (which I have duly reported) is now hardly noticeable, yet is still present.  
Night lighting is still far from X-Plane 11 usual standards. 
Performance: no significant changes here (neither improvement nor decrease), basically the same FPS I used to have in 11.26 and later. A major concern, however, are unusual GPU loads which still show up from time to time without any apparent reason. I could not identify the cause nor relate the issue to a specific scenery or aircraft. A workaround is reloading the scenery. Often FPS go back to normal, however this is something that did not happen in 11.26.

All in all, a stable version, but not yet ready to go public, in my opinion.

Edited by barrel_owl

Deleted

Edited by Dirk98

5 hours ago, barrel_owl said:

All in all, a stable version, but not yet ready to go public, in my opinion.

Not so stable for me. First time I have ever had a repeatable crash in X-Plane. Changing views via the shift and number keys causes an instant crash with an error about openGL

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For me, 11.30r1 CTD when selecting flights in Europe.