Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

Out Of Memory

For the first time in flight simulating for 7 years,  I have twice received an "Out of Memory" in FSX upon final approach or landing with either a PMDG 737 or 777 at  FSDT add airports and on short flights that are either 2 or 3 hours.  I have been using these aircraft for several years without OOM occurring and I am puzzled why it started now. Never had OOM with PMDG aircraft,  even on 12 hours flights!  I have been using Windows 7 with 64 bit operating system.  Is there any possibilities why this started now?  I am at a loss.  I have not changed anything on my computer.  It seems to have started when I updated FSDT GSX with their updates they send.

Cfoley

Edited by Cfoley

Cray Foley

Cray,

When you get the out of memory messages, you ran out of Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Microsoft only gives FSX 4 GB's of VAS.  When it runs out the sim will crash.  There are many contributing factors for running out of VAS.  If you have your FSX settings set higher, you will run out of VAS faster.  Many like to raise their settings when they get a faster computer.  Autogen eats up VAS faster than anything.  So, if that setting is high, it will deplete it faster.  VAS gives each application more VAS during a flight and then takes that away and then gives it more space if there is nothing to consume the VAS such as crusing at FL350.  More information can be found on page 36, AVSIM CTD Guide, Out of Memory.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have my Autogen setting set at "Normal".  I have not changed any of my settings in over a year.  That is why I am puzzled with the OOM problem now started after all this time.

CFoley

Edited by Cfoley

Cray Foley

Have you added or upgraded any FSX add on software such as weather, textures, terrain, AI traffic?  Upgraded any hardware or drivers?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

No,  I have not added anything.  The problem seemed to have started after I updated FSDreamteam GSX add on.  When you open up GSX in FSX,  sometimes they state with a message that they have updates and you download the updates.

Cfoley

Edited by Cfoley

Cray Foley

My guess is you were close to the VAS limit and some of the models in the GSX update pushed you over. It only takes a single straw to break a camel's back....

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

That would be my guess as well.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I was able to do a fight with a PMDG 777-300 from FSdreamteam KDFW airport to EGLL London Heathrow add-on airport without a "Out of Memory" hit.  It was a 9 hour flight too.  I thought for sure it would happen on final approach, but didn't.  Very strange.

Cfoley

Cray Foley

Yeah!  That is the problem with running out memory messages or running out of VAS.  Sometimes you can complete the flight and sometimes you cannot depending on the weather and other factors at the destination. On a clear day I could complete a flight but, if the weather was nasty with rain, I would be very lucky if I made it to the runway.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did changed the FSX scenery complexity from "Very dense" to "Dense".  That may also have helped.  Also,  On most occasions when I do long flights with a PMDG 747 or Level-D 767 aircraft,  I will get a CTD on final, not an OOM.   Also,  on that particular flight I did,  I landed at night.  I don't know if that would have any effect with OOM.  I also use Delta Virtual Airlines and if I get a CTD, I can recover the flight at where the CDT took place.  I love that feature!

Edited by Cfoley

Cray Foley

17 hours ago, Cfoley said:

I did changed the FSX scenery complexity from "Very dense" to "Dense".  That may also have helped.  Also,  On most occasions when I do long flights with a PMDG 747 or Level-D 767 aircraft,  I will get a CTD on final, not an OOM.   Also,  on that particular flight I did,  I landed at night.  I don't know if that would have any effect with OOM.  I also use Delta Virtual Airlines and if I get a CTD, I can recover the flight at where the CDT took place.  I love that feature!

Dialing back scenery complexity does turn off some structures at airports, so that will lower VAS usage as will dialing back the Autogen density.  If the CTD occurs at only one particular airport and turning down scenery complexity eliminates the CTD at that airport, then I would suspect that there is an object or objects that are set to appear at higher settings that are causing a problem when they load.

Edited by stans