Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Why the OCULUS RIFT is STILL the BEST VR Headset!

Hmmmmm.... Interesting.

I think Oculus is kind of like many think of Apple. It just works.

The controllers are still the best, and the software is still the slickest and most integrated. The packaging makes you feel like you've just purchased a porsche. The only thing it's falling behind in is resolution, and sorry to say, if they came up with an Oculus headset that matched the newer headset resolutions, I would probably throw my (very nice) Samsung over my shoulder in a heartbeat.

(I hate the WMR controllers) If my WMR came with better native software and had nicer controllers, my feelings would be subject to revision. That being said, I bop back and forth between my two headests almost randomly. Oculus: better overall experience, Samsung Odyssey: No Screen door effect.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I sort of agree, I hated the display quality of the rift so I switched to the odyssey.  But the microsoft interface is typical microsoft, inefficient, clunky, and downright annoying to deal with.  I really miss the comfort, better sound, and no nonsense interface of the rift.  Its a shame they haven't put anything new out yet. 

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Just my 2 cents, but a pretty weak video imo, as he doesn't actually compare it to anything else. The MS and Samsung variants aren't anywhere near what the Rift and Vive are, not even apples and oranges there.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

20 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Just my 2 cents, but a pretty weak video imo, as he doesn't actually compare it to anything else. The MS and Samsung variants aren't anywhere near what the Rift and Vive are, not even apples and oranges there.

The display quality of the samsung odyssey is actually much better than the rift.  Much better contrast, true blacks, and better resolution.  Its just a shame that is needs to be used with WMR.

• Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I'm sticking to my Rift. And saving for the new one when it comes. If they manage to get all the features in that are on the prototype now- it will blow the market away!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I tried the Rift 2 years ago and I could not deal with the screen door effect. I have not really looked at VR again but based on what you guys are saying, the screen door effect is gone with the Odissey.

16 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

The display quality of the samsung odyssey is actually much better than the rift.  Much better contrast, true blacks, and better resolution.  Its just a shame that is needs to be used with WMR.

I am a bit out of touch with the latest terminology, what is WMR? does it mean that you cannot fly in the VC exclusively? Thanks for clarifying 🙂

John

12 minutes ago, 757FO said:

I tried the Rift 2 years ago and I could not deal with the screen door effect. I have not really looked at VR again but based on what you guys are saying, the screen door effect is gone with the Odissey.

I am a bit out of touch with the latest terminology, what is WMR? does it mean that you cannot fly in the VC exclusively? Thanks for clarifying 🙂

John

WMR = Windows Mixed Reality = Microsoft VR (As opposed to Oculus or Htc vive, or even Pimax)

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The Rift is a great headset for folks who want a nice OVERALL experience in VR.

Despite this, the Odyssey+ (or Vive Pro for moneyed folks) are miles ahead in display resolution, which is really what matters with respect to flightsims. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

The reasons that I would not buy the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive (and I hemmed and hawed over it for a few years) was that they are so expensive. I heard that the resolution was not great. Also heard that the screen door effect was a real issue and I didn't like the idea of having to set up base stations every time I wanted to use it. I bought the Samsung Odyssey+ because it was very affordable. It has no base stations (as far as I am concerned at this stage of the game the tracing for the headset and the controllers is spot on and there is no lag that I can discern). It reportedly had no screen door effect and I can confirm for this user that is true. The resolution is 3K. Granted I have never tried either Rift or Vive but I am blown away by the Samsung Odyssey+. My gut feeling is that Samsung will release an improved version every year and will completely dominate the VR headset market just like they dominate the HDTV market and the Smart Phone Market. Samsung is the best technology company in the world. When they get the bit between their teeth the kick the word not allowed out of the competition every time.

I purchased an Oculus Rift about a month ago and am very happy with it.  Obviously, better resolution would make P3D better.  But, it looks pretty good to me, with the immersion of it all.  I don't really understand or see a "screen door" effect??!  I am using the native VR in P3D V4.3

The one thing I have found, is that, you have to use some very "easy on the frame rate" aircraft though.  The PMDG 777 looked awesome, but you wouldn't want to fly it with the frame rates that I was getting 😉  Still a big work in progress for me, but the future looks really amazing for VR.

Bruce

Bruce Wood

31 minutes ago, CPC900 said:

I purchased an Oculus Rift about a month ago and am very happy with it.  Obviously, better resolution would make P3D better.  But, it looks pretty good to me, with the immersion of it all.  I don't really understand or see a "screen door" effect??!  I am using the native VR in P3D V4.3

The one thing I have found, is that, you have to use some very "easy on the frame rate" aircraft though.  The PMDG 777 looked awesome, but you wouldn't want to fly it with the frame rates that I was getting 😉  Still a big work in progress for me, but the future looks really amazing for VR.

Bruce

In P3D, don't forget to set it for single pass rendering, in VR

Devons rig

I DID notice the screen door effect in a DIFFERENT vr title the other day and it does make it look worse.  I did not notice it in P3D, however.  Mind you, I have not flown a lot at night lately; I assume it would show more at night?!  I will try to test again soon.

Bruce

Bruce Wood