Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

No Joy After Successful Installation of Tongass Fjords

I guess this cry for help is for Elaine. Her tutorials are so easy to follow and are such an enormous help with all things Flightsim, be it FSX or P3D. I executed Elaine's Tongass Fjords Install tutorial to the letter. The installation appears to have been a success in that I am sure all the files and folders are in the right place. Unfortunately when I go load up P3Dv4.4 and setup a scenario on say the Active Runway 29 at PAFE (Kake) I see the following (This is the case for all the Tongass Fjord included Airports\Airfields):

CORSAIRONE-2018-dec-16-001_zpsjdfwkc5m.j

I have placed the 8 Elevation adjustmemt files into P3D v4.4 scenery\world\scenery, so that's OK. All the contents of Effects, Scenery Texture, Sim Objects and Sound Folders have been inserted according to the installation instructions. This is my Positioning as far as the Scenery Library Order:

CORSAIRONE-2018-dec-16-002_zpsqzciizek.j

I apologize for the unreadable pic of the Library. It's Order Reads:

FTX Entries

Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority

Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority

ORBX!OPENLC Entries

Now, I read in the Misty Moorings forums that if you have Fairbanks X installed it should be positioned in the Library AFTER ORBXLC entries. I have Aerosoft Fairbanks Professional installed and i tried that with no effect, so I re-positioned Fairbanks above the FTX entries.

Best Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomCYYZ

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tongass Fjords need to be above FTX entries in the scenery library.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Your library config seems OK (according to Orbx, the TFX entries should be right below FTX). However, in the screenshot, it definitely looks like the elevation adjustments are not working. Can you check again if the BGL files are placed directly in the correct folder (Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\scenery\), not in an additional "scenery" subfolder, for example? It has happened to me a few times 😉

I've just fired up PAFE in my 4.4 install and everything looks OK.

Tym

Edited by tymk

I use Traffic360 for AI traffic and I need to re-run the airport elevations on that as well as FTX Vector whenever I change my airport scenery. With that in mind, do you have any other package in your sim setup that might need elevation corrections to be re-run?

Best regards

Rupert

9 hours ago, TomCYYZ said:

I guess this cry for help is for Elaine. Her tutorials are so easy to follow and are such an enormous help with all things Flightsim, be it FSX or P3D. I executed Elaine's Tongass Fjords Install tutorial to the letter. The installation appears to have been a success in that I am sure all the files and folders are in the right place. Unfortunately when I go load up P3Dv4.4 and setup a scenario on say the Active Runway 29 at PAFE (Kake) I see the following (This is the case for all the Tongass Fjord included Airports\Airfields):

CORSAIRONE-2018-dec-16-001_zpsjdfwkc5m.j

I have placed the 8 Elevation adjustmemt files into P3D v4.4 scenery\world\scenery, so that's OK. All the contents of Effects, Scenery Texture, Sim Objects and Sound Folders have been inserted according to the installation instructions. This is my Positioning as far as the Scenery Library Order:

CORSAIRONE-2018-dec-16-002_zpsqzciizek.j

I apologize for the unreadable pic of the Library. It's Order Reads:

FTX Entries

Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority

Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority

ORBX!OPENLC Entries

Now, I read in the Misty Moorings forums that if you have Fairbanks X installed it should be positioned in the Library AFTER ORBXLC entries. I have Aerosoft Fairbanks Professional installed and i tried that with no effect, so I re-positioned Fairbanks above the FTX entries.

Best Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Entries must be above all ftx add-ons. Also, don't forget to add the entries to the terrain.cfg.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

9 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Tom,

Entries must be above all ftx add-ons. Also, don't forget to add the entries to the terrain.cfg.

According to Elaine Tongass entries are between FTX Scenery and FTX OLC/Vector. That's how I had it in 4.3 and how it worked for me. I have not yet installed in 4.4 though. Off course, to add the terrain.cfg entries must not be forgotten.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

14 minutes ago, Nemo said:

According to Elaine Tongass entries are between FTX Scenery and FTX OLC/Vector. That's how I had it in 4.3 and how it worked for me. I have not yet installed in 4.4 though. Off course, to add the terrain.cfg entries must not be forgotten.

At the top:

hv97zPV.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the wealth of response with this! I will give the Top of FTX placement a shot and report back.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

I moved The TFX entries above all FTX entries and it is still the same. I had previously performed all of the installation requirements. I'm just wondering if I should maybe try re-doing the terrain.cfg section of the installation instructions. I saved my previous terrain.cfg file which would allow me to try again. Maybe I messed up somehow with that. I'm sure if I did there would have been some kind of error message when I started up P3Dv4.4.

Thanks all

The instructions of Elaine are the right one. I did follow them with succes.

The two entries in Orbx Ftx were initially created for it !

The tricky step is the update of terrain.cfg ...

Good luck.

Gérard

Thanks, In scenery\world\scenery I also notice there are several .bgl's for eg. ADE_FTX_SAK_PACV that were placed there when I installed the  ORBX South Alaska Region. Is it possible these files may be creating a conflict?

Note: I followed the terrain.cfg step very closely with no favourable result. All the airports continue to have the elevation issues where they appear sunk into the ground. I have saved my original terrain.cfg file so I do have the option to uninstall TFX and try again or revert back to life without it. Thanks to all for the great responses, It is a simple install and Elaine helps a great deal with it, but it does not seem like a good fit with my system.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomCYYZ

Just an Update. The helpful people over at Misty Moorings have suggested that Additional Terrain Mesh is not necessary for TFX to work, and in fact may cause problems. I have all of Toposim's Mesh products installed. So, I am going to test that out by disabling the Alaska Mesh I have installed and we'll see what happens.

I used to f;y in the Misty Moorings all the time, back in my FS9 days. After reading the instructions on how to get that to work in P3D, I decided to forget about it. I sue wish that Orbx could redo that entire area and sell it so that one click would install it . I would buy it in a heart beat. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I used to f;y in the Misty Moorings all the time, back in my FS9 days. After reading the instructions on how to get that to work in P3D, I decided to forget about it. I sue wish that Orbx could redo that entire area and sell it so that one click would install it . I would buy it in a heart beat. 

Agreed Bob, that would be great!  I'm beginning to think this is not worth the hassle, even disabling my Toposim southeast Alaska Mesh still the elevation problem. I may just uninstall TFX and go back to enjoying the ORBX views.

27 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Agreed Bob, that would be great!  I'm beginning to think this is not worth the hassle, even disabling my Toposim southeast Alaska Mesh still the elevation problem. I may just uninstall TFX and go back to enjoying the ORBX views.

Let me know if you want to keep trying.