Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_Fortuna

GTN 750 keyboard shortcuts do not work in P3D

Editing shortcuts in RealityXP.GTN.ini in the Documents/Reality XP... folder using TOGGLE_WINDOW_1 = … does NOT work. It doesn't matter what key you use. I'm pretty sure that this file is completely ignored in setting shortcuts. I am using P3D v4.4. I can, of course, toggle the popup window from Vehicle->Instrument Panel->Reality XP GTN Unit 1 (managed). All is working perfectly with the 750, other than the keyboard shortcut. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to troubleshoot this?  

Incidentally, the shortcut works perfectly in X-Plane by editing the RealityXP.GTN.ini file in the X-Plane preferences folder. My suspicion is that there is a bug in the keyboard shortcut handling for P3D. This would surprise me, though - I'm sure others are using keyboard shortcuts for a popup window in P3D (but maybe not in v4.4).

Edited by Jeff_Fortuna

Why not use shift+n for the popup window?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Well, the RXP .ini in the aircraft folder in P3D has no mention of popup settings for a keyboard. There is also no mention of this in the documentation. So, even if I could find a parameter to adjust, it would be set on a per aircraft basis? That would be a bit of a pain since I have about 30 payware aircraft that support the 750. I'd have to say that if the initial (global) method in the documentation doesn't work, then I'm likely not going to ever get this to work. Mucking about with this without any documentation is too frustrating to be worth the effort. It isn't a big deal - I can toggle the window from the main menu and I run P3D in a window. I have to admit to being a bit surprised that something as simple as setting a keyboard shortcut to hide / show the popup 750 is incredibly complicated or not possible at all (?)

Thanks so much for the tip, though!

It seems to me that popup windows and view changes via keyboard shortcuts are very easy to set up and simply work correctly in X-Plane. They simply don't in P3D. Thankfully, there is ChasePlane for handling view changes in P3D - that is all I will say about that.

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why not use shift+n for the popup window?

That was my first attempt - which does work (sort of). The problem is, of course, that which key it is changes based on which plane I am using, because some of the shift+number combinations are used for aircraft pop-ups. In the case of some A2A aircraft, all of the popup windows are assigned and are no keys left. Therefore, there is no way to pop up the 750 window. This is what prompted the search for a universal shortcut.

Perhaps I would be better off with the F1 750? Seems a bit of a shame to throw this one out in P3D because I can't get a keyboard shortcut to work...

Edited by RXP

3 hours ago, Jeff_Fortuna said:

Seems a bit of a shame to throw this one out in P3D because I can't get a keyboard shortcut to work...

Sounds like I rather drive the Honda because my Lamborghini doesn't have CarPlay...

It has been less than 6 hours you've posted your message, on a sunday night (our time), can you please at least wait we review this before jumping to conclusions?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I don't think there is anything wrong with your product at all. It works perfectly in X-Plane and almost perfectly for me in P3D. And I'm quite sure keyboard shortcuts work fine for all of your other users in P3D. So you are right, I would be throwing away something that works quite well. However, the lack of a keyboard shortcut is frustrating. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can fix this one. P3D offers little debugging info and, based on my complete lack of ability to set up keyboard shortcuts for 3D views in P3D - they simply did not work - I'm not holding out much hope here. 

8 hours ago, Jeff_Fortuna said:

That was my first attempt - which does work (sort of). The problem is, of course, that which key it is changes based on which plane I am using, because some of the shift+number combinations are used for aircraft pop-ups.

I go through the trouble of rearranging the popup windows in each new airplane, so that Window01 is always the GTN.  I then have shift+2 assigned to a button on my yoke.  That works nicely.

If you like using the mouse, you can assign a shift-popleft or popright parameter in the aircraft ini file..

Lots of options that DO work.. :cool:

Bert

41 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I go through the trouble of rearranging the popup windows in each new airplane, so that Window01 is always the GTN.  I then have shift+2 assigned to a button on my yoke.  That works nicely.

If you like using the mouse, you can assign a shift-popleft or popright parameter in the aircraft ini file..

Lots of options that DO work.. :cool:

Guess I should have looked more closely at panel.cfg - I have a lot more time in X-Plane than P3D. Thanks so much for the help! That solution works nicely...

It is a bit of a pain to do it for so many aircraft but I have found the popups are disorganized for many of the planes so this gives me an excuse to rearrange all of them to my liking.

This is actually a timely post for me.

If I could be allowed to briefly hijack the thread, I was trying to set up my Emuteq hardware after a system upgrade (i7 9700K, Win 10 Pro - only sad thing is now FLN no longer works 😪 ), connected to the Real Air Turbine Duke.

I configured everything correctly as per past experience, and FSUIPC was reading the movement of all switches, and my GNS popup worked nicely with a little "no bezel" mod, however when I tried any of the Emuteq controls, nothing worked. I checked and re-checked the RealityXP.GNS file and all was as it should be.

Is there a possibility that Jeff is indeed correct, that the RealityXP.GNS is not being read in v4.4?

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

HI, I confirm the POPUP_WINDOW keyboard shortcut is not working because well, it is not implemented at all... :blush:

it is fine in X-Plane and it will be fine with the next update we are trying to finalize before Xmas with tons of enhancements.

NB: unlike XPlane where we manage THE popup window ourself, FltSim can have multiple popup windows of the same gauge ( yes I know some vendors got you used to having only 1 displaying at a time, not Reality XP....)

Therefore, we are implementing this keyboard command in a straightforward way: the first non-VC window displayed is the one the keyboard shortcut toggles from view. Advantage: this is orthogonal to the pop left / pop right settings and gives you more options.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

12 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I configured everything correctly as per past experience

have you cross checked "Use Simulator GPS Commands" is enable?

1 minute ago, RXP said:

have you cross checked "Use Simulator GPS Commands" is enable?

Confirmed - enabled

David Porrett

Just now, RXP said:

HI, I confirm the POPUP_WINDOW keyboard shortcut is not working because well, it is not implemented at all... :blush:

it is fine in X-Plane and it will be fine with the next update we are trying to finalize before Xmas with tons of enhancements.

NB: unlike XPlane where we manage THE popup window ourself, FltSim can have multiple popup windows of the same gauge ( yes I know some vendors got you used to having only 1 displaying at a time, not Reality XP....)

Therefore, we are implementing this keyboard command in a straightforward way: the first non-VC window displayed is the one the keyboard shortcut toggles from view. Advantage: this is orthogonal to the pop left / pop right settings and gives you more options.

For now I will implement it as Bert suggested above. I am indeed surprised that no one has noticed this sooner... 

Oh well, thank you so much for looking into this!

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I do both of these and gain a lot of flexibility!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere