Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

3 X 24 Monitors v. Samsung CHG90 49

Greetings, 

I have been in the three monitor setup for about 10 years and seriously considering the move to single monitor as so many seem to be recommending the latter. I recently became aware of the Samsung 49 inch ultra wide screen and thought this might be the ticket to finally get rid of the dreaded bezels without compromising a huge amount of field-of-vision. Today, I had the opportunity to view the Samsung at a local Microsoft store, however, there was no chance to observe FS activity. I was hoping someone may have some comments or even better, some video (GA preferred). I have searched YouTube, however unable to locate detailed FS utility as it relates to this specific monitor. 

This is my present setup w/ 3 x 24" Dells, i7 GTX980, P3Dv4.3  and nil performance issues: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v2b295af5npuc3/3_DELL_24.jpg?dl=0

Samsung CHG90 49: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4gwmr2vndqi82m/SAMSUNG_49.jpg?dl=0

Again, many thanks for any comments.

This will no doubt look great out of the box but I can't see any way it trumps a three-monitor setup for flight sims other than the lack of bezels. Or rather, 'bezel' (singular), as it's only as wide as two 27" 1080p monitors.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I just purchased and returned the CHG90. Unfortunately it had more back bleed in the upper left corner than I could tolerate .

I liked the size but like Mark said you would be giving up a third of your horizontal view. The CHG90 is effectively half of a 55” 4K tv. It may function well for a bezel free external view. However, if your displaying a virtual cockpit as well as the outside world I find it vertically restrictive. I ended up buying a Samsung 55” curved 4K TV. Twice the real estate for very close to half the price.

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Thanks for the comments; they are much appreciated. I seem to go through a journey of seeking greener pastures about once a year only to return to the 3-monitor setup. 

On the Samsung 55" curved TV, we have the same as our bedroom TV, but I have a difficult time imagining it as a flight sim monitor considering the size. May I ask how far back you sit? 

Thanks again / Les Parson

Les

The truth is I just picked up the TV today and then had to leave town. My objective is to use my Dell 38" 21x9 to display the virtual cockpit only and position that slightly in front of the 55" TV which will display the outside world only. I imagine I'll be 24-30" away from the TV that I will mount flat to the wall. I tried this setup with my 65" TV. It was a neat perspective but it was just Too large. The width of the 55" TV is approximately the same width as the CHG90. I'm thinking it will be positioned about the same distance from me. I'll will just give me more vertical view. 

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW