Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

PBR - 3 letters that changed your livery painter's world.

No words can describe the effect of PBR on metal....see for yourself. 

This is early work Brian Thibodeaux and I have been doing with the Leonardo Maddog recently based on my metal textures from the AA and Eastern paints...they will have what I believe will be the 1st PBR aircraft model to be released (soon according to their FB page).  The reflections you see are real...they are dynamic, and they represent something you have never seen in FSX/P3D until now.

Below you can see the yellow lines in the reflections, as well as the taxi sign near the front, the sun glint is dynamic and real.  These pics are at 4k and very large to capture what I see on my 55" 4k monitor.  I had to use a lot of jpeg compression to keep them a reasonable size.

1Ldylk.jpg

xfJprR.jpg

1vFN9J.jpg

00W5Tj.jpg

7HqVlt.jpg

1w5Urg.jpg

Once we get the metal completely dialed in , I'll add the AA and Eastern liveries.(as good as it looks in these pics....there are still more tweaks left to do)

Although metal receives the biggest benefit from PBR, painted liveries take on a whole new look...just hit up the Leonardo Maddog FB page to see the work other beta painters are posting...they look amazing!

• Like 18

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

And I thought this would be about Pabst Blue Ribbon beer! LOL!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

And I thought this would be about Pabst Blue Ribbon beer! LOL!

I know right? 🤣

Well maybe enough beer will help me re-learn how to paint with the new things we have to learn with PBR....where we had a main texture map and alpha channel deal with in the past (or is that Pabst? hehe), we now have 2 separate maps and 3 extra channels (RGB) to control the various environmental effects on every paint.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

In the Pabst, I haven't paid much attention to these things, but now...I'm beery excited for the visuals we will see.

• Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I'm happy you p3d guys get to experience PBR!  And stunning work on the paint...  I'd say you are one of the best painters at avsim.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

In the Pabst, I haven't paid much attention to these things, but now...I'm beery excited for the visuals we will see.

Oh my...let the beer puns begin....lets see.

I "barley" got started on PBR textures...so you guys will have to "wheat" a while before I push out any liveries with it.  I hope you guys can "beer" waiting for them. 🙂

At "yeast" I don't have too many beer puns left.

• Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

This looks quite impressive. Really looking forward to seeing final results. I am sure it will be exceptional. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm happy you p3d guys get to experience PBR!  And stunning work on the paint...  I'd say you are one of the best painters at avsim.

Thanks Ryan!

Yeah I've drooled at PBR in Xplane for a while...glad to see it come to us P3D'ers finally.  I have Xplane but have not flown it in ages sadly....just not enough time to split between the two and painting.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Very impressive. I like the paint. The old American livery is just a classic. Great job, @Steve Dra

How's the performance with PBR in Prepar3D? 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

40 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Very impressive. I like the paint. The old American livery is just a classic. Great job, @Steve Dra

How's the performance with PBR in Prepar3D? 

I think I got a few more frames making the switch to 4.4.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

something you have never seen in FSX/P3D until now.

I saw PBR in FSW one year ago.

9 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

I saw PBR in FSW one year ago.

Your point?

It has also existed in X-Plane for a while, but that still doesn't remove the fact, that it's a new feature in P3D.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

+1 for the awesome!

Just wondering, if all our AI had this type of repaint, how much an effect (if any) would it have on general sim performance?

Regards

Alan

5 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

see for yourself

Wow Steve. They are fantastic shots. Amazing work as always! Can't wait for the Maddogx release. I'm busy fresh installing P3D and having a clear out ready for the planned weekend release of the updated MD. I will be sure to add your liveries when they are ready.

Thank you! I hope you are enjoying painting them as much as we will enjoy using them.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire