Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

First Flight in the Vertx Diamond DA-62

Yesterday, not only did I install Nvidia Shadowplay to start recording some flights, I also installed the Vertx Diamond DA-62. I thought I'd post my very first flight in the aircraft. This was literally just a taster, so procedures out of the window!

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 5

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Looking good!

What are your thoughts on the Vertx DA62 so far?

How did you make those photo textures look so sharp?

P3d settings?

CFG Tweaks?

These are just a few questions viewers could ask. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Very nice Howard.  Valdez is a great place to do a first flight vid, that's for sure!

Scott

• Like 1

Nice video Howard. The DA62 by Vertx is fast becoming my new go to aircraft when simming. Whilst it is missing some nice to have items that are on A2A aircraft, there is something about the Vertx aircraft that makes it a joy to fly. The slight wing bounce in turbulent air is brilliant. I mainly fly in VR and this aircraft just looks awesome. 

There are a few items I would like added

• Ground lighting reflections (strobes, nav lights)
  • Engine warms up and cools down too quickly
  • Operational fuses
  • Rain effects on windshield (coming with a later patch)

Sean did a fantastic job and I'm pleased to support this project through purchasing. Great job.

• Like 1

Paul Edwards

4 minutes ago, pedwards said:

Nice video Howard. The DA62 by Vertx is fast becoming my new go to aircraft when simming. Whilst it is missing some nice to have items that are on A2A aircraft, there is something about the Vertx aircraft that makes it a joy to fly. The slight wing bounce in turbulent air is brilliant. I mainly fly in VR and this aircraft just looks awesome. 

There are a few items I would like added

• Ground lighting reflections (strobes, nav lights)
  • Engine warms up and cools down too quickly
  • Operational fuses
  • Rain effects on windshield (coming with a later patch)

Sean did a fantastic job and I'm pleased to support this project through purchasing. Great job.

For VR - Try with No Mipmap VC and 2x SSAA - Turn HDR and Shadows Off (just as recommended by the User guide), then look at the cockpit - it is unreal - it looks super real...the detail is mind blowing

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

29 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

For VR - Try with No Mipmap VC and 2x SSAA - Turn HDR and Shadows Off (just as recommended by the User guide), then look at the cockpit - it is unreal - it looks super real...the detail is mind blowing

Great suggestions, thank you. It seems smoother. Mind blowing is spot on. Even after owning VR (Vive) for about a year, it amazes me every time I put on the headset. I now have my own 'real' DA62!

• Like 1

Paul Edwards

Very beautiful indeed.

Edited by nolonger
  • Like 1

Hi Howard,

What scenery is this? It looks great fun to fly around/over/through!

Paul Edwards

7 hours ago, DJJose said:

Looking good!

What are your thoughts on the Vertx DA62 so far?

How did you make those photo textures look so sharp?

P3d settings?

CFG Tweaks?

These are just a few questions viewers could ask. 😀

Hi Jose, I have literally only flown the aircraft once, in this video! But my first thoughts are, it is extremely sweet. Lovely graphics, reflections. Love the wing flex which works nicely in turbulence, as does the actual aircraft movements too, very realistic. The sound set is awesome. My only observation after a single flight, so it may change, is that the plane seemed extremely stable, maybe a little too stable, I don't know. However, it made a very nice change, as I always felt in control during approach and landing. The next few days I will pay close attention to the flight dynamics and handling. In fact I may record a video of the handling of the plane in turbulence, that may be interesting.

I haven't done anything to the textures Jose, I am running a 4k monitor, with 1080Ti. P3D graphics set with 4xSSAA and hi resolution scenery textures exp=9.  No real cfg tweaks, except FFTF=0.01, that's about it really, oh I did change the OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048 to =4096 to alleviate the jaggy VC shadows, although this I will be running further tests, just to see if I am paying anything in the way of FPS by doing so. I did remove AM from the cfg and I found that it helped the scenery loading!

31 minutes ago, pedwards said:

Hi Howard,

What scenery is this? It looks great fun to fly around/over/through!

Hi Paul, it's Orbx Valdez (PAVD) in Southern Alaska. It's beautiful scenery. Nicely rendered with some lovely photoscenery surrounding the area.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

5 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

My only observation after a single flight, so it may change, is that the plane seemed extremely stable, maybe a little too stable

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. That and computer controlled engine management makes this one of the least complex ... complex airplane I've ever seen 😄

Chris

19 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

...the plane seemed extremely stable, maybe a little too stable... Ha, I was thinking the same thing. That and computer controlled engine management makes this one of the least complex ... complex airplane I've ever seen  😄

I'd be interested in hearing from someone with experience with the RW aircraft and whether they think my observations are valid.

Howard

17 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I'd be interested in hearing from someone with experience with the RW aircraft and whether they think my observations are valid.

So would I.  But it wouldn't surprise me if Vertx has gotten it right.  Remember, Diamond's heritage is in gliders, so their designs tend to be good flyers.  And speaking of heritage, one of the hallmarks of Rob Young's flight dynamics for RealAir was that his aircraft felt like physical objects, with mass and inertia.  I know he's not involved here but it's possible that the FDE follows that tradition.  It's something I always loved about his aircraft and those of a few other designers (Alexander Metzger and Bernt Stolle come to mind).

I haven't picked up the DA-62 yet - life has been getting in the way - but I'm about to.  If I was in any doubt, your video would have clinched it for me.

Edited by Alan_A

Interestingly, this 2015 Flying Magazine review calls out the DA-62's stability.  "...handling in the bumps was rock solid..."; "handled the wind with no problem..."

Again, I'll defer to real-world pilots with experience in the type but it seems possible that the stability of the Vertx DA-62 is a feature, not a bug.