Sign in to follow this  
ckyliu

Coverage outside USA

I note in the USA you get taxyways and airport layouts, superimposed charts, SIDs and STARs on the GTN750. Do you still get these functions outside the USA with the bundled nav data? Most of my IFR flying is in Western Europe.

Also, I understand they've added fields outside the USA that are unlicensed or have shorter runways, this would very useful for my VFR flying in the UK.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi,

It is rather easy to figure out: either you already have our GTN and you just configure it to use the 'International' DB and see, or, you download and install the Garmin GTN trainer then run it, select 'international' (Jepp) and see.

One thing for sure: charts (overlays or not) included in the trainer are USA only, and the latest(s) trainers DB removed shorter runways. NB: although not a real runway on the map with all the info, the trainer 6.50.x now permit designing any user waypoint as an airport, with all the benefits of an airport in regard to navigation, if I'm not mistaken this includes visual approach assistance.

• Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Is the older database with the shorter runways still available and if so can it be installed?

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Fellow users, correct me if I am wrong.  Is 1513 the one that is worldwide with the shorter runways. and I believe also worked with both the GNS and GTN?  If so I believe I have it, but you would need to revert to the Garmin GTN Trainer that was current at that time.  Newer versions of the Garmin GTN Trainer use a different nav data format.  So it is not just a database version issue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

23 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Newer versions of the Garmin GTN Trainer use a different nav data format.  So it is not just a database version issue.

I think the newer trainer can still read the older DB, at least, the Jepp DB if not the Garmin DB.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

37 minutes ago, RXP said:

I think the newer trainer can still read the older DB, at least, the Jepp DB

Pretty sure that's right. My real regional database from Jepp contains 2 versions of the DB, the "newer" GTN one and the older one which can also be read by the GNS. I think I read somewhere ages ago that it is provided for backward compatibility in case users have not updated their GTN software. The updates are not compulsory. The system "knows" which one to use.

46374824351_d6086ca397_b.jpg

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

Great. So Ted? Would that help you get to your destination?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

44 minutes ago, RXP said:

I think the newer trainer can still read the older DB, at least, the Jepp DB if not the Garmin DB.

So perhaps I had it backwards. Probably NOT the case that the updated GTN Trainer cannot read the old format, but instead that the aging GNS Trainer cannot read the new format.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Maybe I have it backwards, but the 1513 database and the removal of shorter runways after that date applies to the GNS, as best I know.. not GTN.  :unsure:

Bert

36 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Maybe I have it backwards, but the 1513 database and the removal of shorter runways after that date applies to the GNS, as best I know.. not GTN.  :unsure:

Agree. We both actually say the same thing in regard to GNS.  The newer databases lack the shorter runway airports and those are not compatible with the older GNS gauges. 

So Bert, are you saying that the more up-to-date databases for the GTN still include shorter runways?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

38 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Agree. We both actually say the same thing in regard to GNS.  The newer databases lack the shorter runway airports and those are not compatible with the older GNS gauges. 

So Bert, are you saying that the more up-to-date databases for the GTN still include shorter runways?

That is indeed what I am saying..

• Like 1

Bert

@Bert Pieke
So I would be "safe" with the latest worldwide GTN trainer database? In terms of it having shorter runways still.

And just because my GNS has coverage, it doesn't follow that a GTN would as they use a different database?

And final point, i think Jean-Luc said there are no SIDs or STAR in it for Europe?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

i think Jean-Luc said there are no SIDs or STAR in it for Europe? 

I'm wondering where I could have said such things!

What I've probably said though is that we've enabled the whole SBAS systems in our GNS V2, including EGNOS for Europe! See "Complete SBAS Support" on our website: http://reality-xp.com/index2.html#sbas_support

Nevertheless, you might want to review my message here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545258-which-database-ships-on-430/?tab=comments#comment-3930279

And read my suggestions here too:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/546848-rxp-gns-530w430w-v2-database-update/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-3941914

Edited by RXP

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

@Bert Pieke
So I would be "safe" with the latest worldwide GTN trainer database? In terms of it having shorter runways still.

And just because my GNS has coverage, it doesn't follow that a GTN would as they use a different database?

If in doubt, download the GTN Trainer and check it out..

Yes, the GNS and GTN databases are different.

Bert

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

Great. So Ted? Would that help you get to your destination?

I appreciate the feedback Frank but I think I am still as confused as everyone else. :biggrin:

I've put off buying any addon Garmins due to this. My intended use is to fly small GA aircraft into small ORBX airports, hence the interest in the small airport database. According to Bert the latest GTNs do include the small airport database so that just leaves the GNSs. It sounds like you can downgrade the GNS software to an earlier version and then install the earlier small airport database into the GNS. Is this correct?

I will try Bert's suggestion of downloading the GTN and GNS trainers to view the databases.

Thanks,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4