Sign in to follow this  
canee

P3D V4.4 Low FPS

Hello, I have been having this problem with P3D for a long time now and I don't know how to fix it. I always get between 15-20fps on P3D when I'm on the ground, taking off or landing, but when I'm in the air it goes up to 30-45. I am running P3D off of the 500GB SSD

My PC Specs:

Spoiler

i5-6600k 3.7GHz

ASUS 1060 6GB

Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz

500GB SSD

4TB Hard Drive

My P3D Addons:

Spoiler

Aerosoft A318/19

Aerosoft A320/21

QualityWings 787-8/9

ORBX FTX Global Base Pack

ORBX FTX Lights

UK2000 Gatwick (Disabled)

FlyTampa Dubai (Disabled)

Aerosoft Mega Airport Heathrow

FlightBeam Washington Dulles International

Active Sky

Chaseplane

My P3D Settings:

Spoiler

FXAA = Off

AA = 4xMSAA

Texture Filtering = Anisotropic 16x

Texture Resolution = Medium 1024x1024

VSync = On

Triple Buffering = On

Level Of Detail Radius = Medium

Tessellation Factor = Medium

Mesh resolution = 19m

Texture resolution = 60cm

Use HD terrain textures = Off

Scenery complexity = Dense

Autogen and scenery draw distance = Medium

Autogen vegetation density = Dense

Autogen building density = Normal

Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation = Off

Water Detail = Low

Bathymetry = Off

Reflections = User Vehicle only

Special effects detail = High

Special effects distance = High

Dynamic Reflections = Low

Dynamic Lighting = On

Landing-Lights illuminate ground = On

Lens Flare = Off

Shadow quality = Low

Shadow draw distance = Ultra

Cloud draw distance = 90mi

Cloud coverage density = Maximum

Detailed Clouds = On

Volumetric Fog = On

Detailed Precipitation = On

Windshield Effects = On

Enable turbulence and themal effects on vehicle = On

Just off the top of my head, your i5-6600k at 3.7GHz is probably the costliest to your low performance.  P3D is both CPU and GPU hungry.  You should be able to overclocked your 6600k to get better performance.  Have you tried that?

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

You didn't mention your traffic settings, you could try turning those down. But don't chase numbers, if the sim feels okay and looks good then that's enough 🙂

Overclocking your processor past 4 Ghz would help and swapping the 1060 for a 1080.

Oh and dynamic lighting can be a performance hog, you may wish to disable that. Vsync and triple buffering could be hurting framerates, experiment with disabling those too.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Your specs are much higher than mine but I would say I get far better performance than you are reporting, but I'm not completely sure because I'm unclear how much detail you are running with. It is a complicated subject and everyone tweaks in their own way, so i am posting this in an effort to give examples, not a firm guide. I can only say what I do.

One thing I don't do is to start with everything set high. I do the complete opposite. I start with a simple, default - or FSX default - aircraft imported into p3d (the FSX defaults all work almost flawlessly despite posts here saying they don't and in fact LH specifically declare that P3d v4 is FSX Sp2 compatible except where 32 bit gauges in the form of .dll files are included).

With sparse scenery and autogen, and shadows and reflections off, no weather and no HDR your system should easily achieve well over 200 fps in spot view if you load an imported default C172 from FSX, or similar aircraft. Actually I get well over 200 fps in this aircraft on a machine that is at least 4 years older than yours and of a much lower spec and it is also underclocked for stability.

Your system should do much better than mine (possibly 300 fps in spot view and 200 fps inside the cockpit?). If your system and set up cannot achieve these rates with sparse scenery and a modest aircraft, it is never going to achieve a decent frame rate with a complex aircraft and more scenery detail/shadows/Ai traffic etc. If you don't get this kind of frame rate then look at your p3d.cfg and remove anything that is not standard, APART from maybe Fiber Frame Rate which most definitely delivers a much higher frame rate with low values, and rarely causes any blurries unless you over-ride scenery or weather and LOD standard values.

Work from the highest frame rate possible then gradually add more complexity and see the effect, one by one. This is so much more efficient and useful than starting with all guns blazing then having to reduce.The reason is obvious to me. In this way you can identify precisely which component is slowing things down, rather than seeing what improves when you remove things. Additive tweaks from nothing upwards are always more efficient than reductive tweaks from ridiculous detail downwards.

Despite what some say, flight models break down very quickly below 30 fps - even though they might be just about ok with procedural flights that do not tax the FDE. If you are happy with this that's fine. But you need overhead. Unless your system is delivering totally smooth motion at 25-29 fps you need overhead because the best setups still suffer spikes. Just one tiny spike during a banked turn can introduce stutters and make a smooth flight model jerky. 

If you are flying a large airliner mainly under autopilot then 28 fps is just about ok providing you do not get frequent fps spikes. For this reason I always aim for at least 35 fps and ideally more, because just a couple of fsp drops can ruin the experience. If you are flying smaller aircraft manually and want to fly with any kind of challenging maneouvres, you need in my opinion more fps: 40 fps is a decent ambition as that will iron out micro stutters.

The aircraft you listed are mostly very challenging as to fps. There are ways to instantly improve frame rate of most of them and they included editing huge dds files which can be reduced in size without much visual impact, disabling certain gauges that are known causes of performance reductions, removing unnecessary pfds and mfds, removing weather radars etc, etc. 

Two very useful ways to test if your system is delivering decent performance are, surprisingly, nothing to do with actually flying. They concern camera movement. If you are in a Virtual Cockpit and you pan left and right, and the movement is jerky AND there is a delay before the movement starts, that nearly always indicates that you over-taxing your graphics card, probably with more MSAA, or SSAA than your machine can handle for the detail you have loaded. This has become a very telling indicator for me, even without flying. It also might indicate that you have loaded more stuff than both your CPU and graphics card likes.

There is no magic wand as you no doubt know! Except for the most demanding addon aircraft you should be able to find a decent compromise between detail and flyability. I'm still learning and I've been tweaking privately for over two decades!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Update: I just notice you are running with triple buffering. Have you tried switching this off? And vsync off? You can always start both later once you have established what else is slowing you down. Your goal is to find the highest possible frame rate with low, vanilla settings, then to gradually add, one by one, other components (then switch off and try something else - in other words do not keep adding things - but test each setting individually).

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page