Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

The Vertxsim DA-62 at Innsbruck... Tales from Tyrol...

Returning from the Salt Mines this evening, I took a very German color scheme (DIVXA) to Innsbruck, just to keep things apropos. The Wx was perfect LOWI 182315Z 1900/1924 27005KT CAVOK TX03/1913Z TNM05/1904Z TEMPO 1922/1924 -FZRA SCT050 BKN070. The light was getting softer, and in a few minutes all the captivating charm of Tyrol would assert itself.  The cockpit of a DA62 was just the place to shake off the dust of the day and retreat far from the madding crowds.

IJaatXJ.jpg

We taxied down to the Alpha hold line, and with final clearance began the back taxi for RW08.  The neon signs just past the airport boundary fence were lit, and together with the long shadows from the taxi signage, rocked hypnotically as we rolled down to the turn around.  

s4liy3v.jpg

Lining up on 08, one last look ahead showed allest gut, and we pushed the power levers to the stops. 

LEKAG7y.jpg
The Vertxsim DA-62 does an initial take off roll much like I would imagine a real one does.  The center lighting was thumping away, as I offset a bit to the left to avoid the drumming and then we were flying.  The rotation was pressure not pull.  The levitation was translational and the lift at proper trim speed materialized with the measured feeling of air supporting a lifting surface.  Not one pop or twitch, so common in flying electrons- just lift- pure and simple, like I remember from the days of yore. We were rolling along one moment, and then in the perceived measured spread of milliseconds we were supported by a solid cushion of air with fairly high wing loading.  The sort of same feeling when one rotates a Mooney 201 off a wet Florida runway in perfectly still conditions, after the thunderstorm has passed and made all temperatures equal- simply magic.

ff6m8p0.jpg

We cleaned up gear fairly quickly (one learns to do that if one spends even a single airborne moment in an anemic Aztec or Seneca 1 (btw all Aztecs are anemic).  As speed built- again I was impressed with the sense of momentum that imbues everything about this aeroplane.  There is no sudden result of calculations achieving desired value- rather everything responds as though it were a lifting surface, acted upon by a control surface, all passing through the air at about 120kts.  Measured, precise, but no twitchiness, or sudden response.  After a few hours in this aeroplane I have come to know exactly where the mains are, and when holding her off during the last few feet, have developed a confidence that this bit of kit flies oddly enough like an aeroplane.

We journeyed down the valley on an initial heading to RUM and then 075 thereafter.  Putting in (and taking out) the AP and YD are an exercise in reality.  The solid reassuring feel without nervous micro corrections are a pleasure.  With 9500 dialed in and AP holding PITch we climbed smartly after cleaning up flaps and reducing power to 90%.  I have yet to overcome my inherent desire to tweak the prop knobs... but that will come.

lTjRsAz.jpg

The evening was clear enough to enjoy the climbout and at D14 OEV we struck out for RTT with power back to 80%, RTT being a familiar friend from my initial sessions here on Vatsim shortly after the Turbine Duke released in FSX. 

YvSa6TB.jpg

We established outbound RTT for 2 minutes, and then began a procedure turn inbound, to cross and strike out at 210 degrees further reducing to 65%.

KJP8Y2C.jpg

Power had now come back to 60% and airspeed had settled nicely at 135kts.  We continued on this path until identifying and establishing on the OEV LOC at 21DME.  It was very reassuring to see the white LOC annunciate on the FMAs (gosh, I sometimes don't speak as though I spent my youth pumping 100LL). Thereafter it was a series of step downs with DME altitudes until we were comfortably VFR.  Cancelling the IFR plan we swung left to track the rabbit REIL and chirped down on the TDZ.

5CYYGM2.jpg

coKZwk9.jpg

The salient part of the preceding paragraph is that in the very final moments of flight, when correcting for minute burbles across the fence lines, and the rising columns of the differently convective surfaces that comprise the final approach lateral line, the connection to the aeroplane has to be experienced to be understood.  There are moments where this platform has me suspended over asphalt, sliding ever so slightly sideways, moving forward at 120 KIAS and not happy with the anticipated touch down point.  There in that split second, I am connected enough to move the aeroplane over a couple of feet, arrest the sideways motion completely, and unhurriedly paint the upwind landing gear on to the surface.  Then I actually get to decide when to lower the down wind leg and nose gear, so before I know it I have actually flown the entire landing down to walking speed.  Old tail-dragger pilots will no doubt immediately relate to the above drivel.  The more recent generation of button punchers will wonder why I spent so long discussing the simple act of landing an airplane?  The point is- I flew the landing completely through, to its end.  Not something one can say often when sat behind a desk.

When discussing surfaces and their suspension in liquid, I would encourage repeated flap extension and retraction sequences when you have a moment.  The feel of the split flap, disturbing the boundary layer, extending to create lift and drag and finally with it all out, fully impacting airspeed is something to behold.  NOTHING SUDDEN, nothing the result of calculated equational positioning, rather a splendid constant sequence of added flap, resulting drag, interjected with lift and finally with flat plate effect, all the while affecting flight path in a single fluid motion.  Cycle the gear for a bit more suspension of disbelief- you have to feel  and hear the burble, flap balloon and drag to appreciate what hath been wrought. Again, in short- the real feel of flap & gear actuation in a light twin. No more- period.

I am told that this aeroplane has a comprehensive avionics suite, and I certainly do see lots of glass. So far I have used lots of Windex and wipes trying to eliminate all the smears and oil streaks, but I read that in fact this panel will allow me to find very certain points of space along my flight path, both laterally and vertically.  Incredible what technology can do these days ;)! I will spend the time required to learn how to press all those fancy buttons with adroit dexterity.  In the meanwhile, I am much too busy enjoying flying- really flying.  Truth be told I've never flown more than the very first bit of a SID or STAR IRL, being too low and too slow for the commercial flow.  I am confident any such momentous issues will be dealt with in time.  In the meanwhile, I'm busy flying this little gem, making a long list of Orbx destinations to visit and writing a giddy love letter to Australia- Bravo Zulu!

C
Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 11

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Great report and pictures, thanks.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

Nice pics and write-up!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

43 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

As speed built- again I was impressed with the sense of momentum that imbues everything about this aeroplane.  There is no sudden result of calculations achieving desired value- rather everything responds as though it were a lifting surface, acted upon by a control surface, all passing through the air at about 120kts.  Measured, precise, but no twitchiness, or sudden response. 

43 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

The levitation was translational and the lift at proper trim speed materialized with the measured feeling of air supporting a lifting surface.  Not one pop or twitch, so common in flying electrons- just lift- pure and simple, like I remember from the days of yore. 

That's exactly the quality I associate with Rob Young's work for RealAir - and the work of a couple of other flight dynamicists, in particular Alexander Metzger and Bernt Stolle.  And it's a quality I don't associate with the work of a lot of other developers, including some prominent high-end ones - whose products have a lot going for them, and I enjoy them, but the experience is a lot closer to "calculations achieving desired value," not the feel of flight we're talking about here.

The DA-62 isn't my usual kind of ride - but now that I've read your description and a couple of others like it, there's no choice - I've got to pick this up.

Edited by Alan_A

Thanks for the kind words. This release is noteworthy in SO MANY ways. For those “worried” about the  present lack of Navigraph compatibility, I’m confident that issue will be resolved in the near future. Meanwhile, I’d offer that this (and every other) aeroplane can be successfully flown on raw data, and the FEEL OF FLIGHT from Vertxsim is MUCH TOO GOOD to miss.

Readers here will know how fond of the Orbx World I am.... I am busy compiling a long list of distant locales that the DA62 will shortly transport me to. The wet straightaways will be covered by my incredible PMDG fleet. The chicane by the DA62 and for the hair pin turns my Annuschka awaits. 

2019 holds great promise 🙂

C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

BTW was contacted about the piccies- YES, they are 4K, just click for full resolution.  Enjoy.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Ron-

After some discussion with @SteveW I locked my frames at 24- for everything from the 747-8 to the Ultralight.  I'm very happy with performance, and have ceased tinkering many months ago.  The Vertxsim DA62 did not create any performance issues- a non event that absolutely knocked my socks off.

Goes down about like a Macallan 25 mate :)- smooooooth.

C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I NEVER JOKE ABOUT GOOD SCOTCH 😉

😛

C

PS- A HUGE fan of dunked Digestives!!

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Thanks Ron.... Darjeeling and Digestives are the bees knees!

😛

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Darjeeling? Poseur. Good old builders tea, that's the stuff.

Enough now. There'll be someone come along and tell us to behave ourselves. :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.