Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Navigraph Flightsim Survey results published

23 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Obviously they needed to give credit to one of the sponsors, rather evident.

But, anyway, I prefer to do a complete reading of the report before making any further judgment. My initial impression was regarding that "typical flight simmer flying XP-11 most of the time", something to me it´s not what you feel when you´re browsing at AVSIM.

Cheers, Ed

There are other sites that weren't mentioned or surveyed.... Unless I missed it x plane org wasn't in this at all.  And true, here at avsim you'll find mainly fsx p3d users.  But you'll find mainly XP users at the org.

• Like 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Whoa

Did you guys see the final report here

https://download.navigraph.com/docs/navigraph-flightsim-community-survey-2018-final.pdf

The above link is only a summary

Go to 2.7.6 Auxiliary systems

What does your simulator setup look like?

3% said "Captain's hat" 😆😋

4% said "Drink Trolley" 🍻 🤣

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

42 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

What does your simulator setup look like?

3% said "Captain's hat" 😆😋

4% said "Drink Trolley" 🍻 🤣

Yeah, I'm not sure what those mean.  Someone has a drink trolley by their sim rig? Ok, good on them I guess :)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I do recall me posting in one of those contentious DTG FSW threads that if present trends continued, the market would be equally split between P3d and XP. That made many of the AFS2 and FSW users upset.  FSW is gone and AFS2 is on life support.

I'm fairly confident that this XP/P3d split is stabilized and probably won't change very much unless either LR or LM introduce impressive new features. FS9 and FSX will continue to decline to some small percentages and their users will either migrate to one of the two main flight sims or just give up.

I also agree with the "annual money spent" figure obtained by the survey. My rationale is that XP11 users still mostly rely on freeware, although that will probably start changing during the next year. That reliance probably cuts down the average value listed in the poll results. 

• Like 2

I filled in the questionnaire and IIRC there was no authentication check of my submission, meaning that I could actually fill in the questionnaire more than once had I wanted to. A serious flaw in any type of statistical undertaking.

In my VA (1000+ members) the numbers logged by our ACARS software tell a very different story: P3Dv4 58%, P3Dv3 4%, XP10/11 9%, figures are from July 2018.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I'm not sure I understand why everybody is so butt hurt that x-plane is becoming popular.  Why dont we all just blame facebook and google for the flawed results or even better the russians altered our perceptions when filling out the survey.

Does it really matter what simulator people are using?  Who cares if P3D may become second to x-plane it won't affect my enjoyment of P3D.

Some people just are not happy if they are not b***ing.

Edited by sgreen91
  • Like 5

Sean Green

9 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

the console and 3D shooter world or any world outside of flight simulation and those users are spending $200 per month so about $2400/yr (averages)

Where did you find that estimate if I may ask?

From my experience and numbers that I have found the average spending of a gamer (excluding hardware) is closer to $100-$200 a year, so your figure is really surprising to me.

2 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

I'm not sure I understand why everybody is so butt hurt that x-plane is becoming popular. 

This is an interesting question.  

Why do we get so bent out of shape if our sim of choice gets less air time, doesn't win polls, gets less development time?   Even I sometimes feel like I need to defend P3D.  No idea why.  It is altogether silly.  I love P3D for very particular reasons and XP is far from changing that, so why should I care

Is it because sub-consciously we feel we are making the wrong choice.... or that we're going to lose out on something? Or is it that we just get frustrated that other people can't see what we see in our own sims?  Maybe its the fear that developers will no longer develop for our own sim in the future. 

I think it all comes down to certainty.    People want reassurance that their choices are the right choices, and if anything threatens that, we become shirty.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ErichB said:

This is an interesting question.  

Why do we get so bent out of shape if our sim of choice gets less air time, doesn't win polls, gets less development time?   

Is it because sub-consciously we feel we are making the wrong choice....

Your arguments certainly can't be denied, but there are more ones: (i) I still can't make really friends with the other sim (and I tried several times), although solely flying VFR. (ii) I am afraid to loose quite an amount of investement, actually several 1000$ which I could reuse over the years, albeit sometimes with some upgrade fee, (iii) The other sim draws development resources away. As is obvious in the case of ORBX.

There may be even more arguments.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On the subject of investment I admit my sim is well loaded and I'm getting picky on what I buy now, I don't have some airports from some of the best developers due to the fact they are old and outdated and now only look at airports and products made with V4 SDK, I have not purchased much in the sales only one TG EDDM.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 minutes ago, pmb said:

Your arguments certainly can't be denied, but there are more ones: (i) I still can't make really friends with the other sim (and I tried several times), although solely flying VFR. (ii) I am afraid to loose quite an amount of investement, actually several 1000$ which I could reuse over the years, albeit sometimes with some upgrade fee, (iii) The other sim draws development resources away. As is obvious in the case of ORBX.

There may be even more arguments.

Kind regards, Michael

I cannot get my head round why XP fans take great pleasure in posting in the P3D forum about there sim, I have never posted or read the XP forums and I'm not just talking about avsim forums you see on other sites including FSX, I get the impression it`s to wind some users up. 

Edited by rjfry
  • Upvote 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

26 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think it all comes down to certainty.    People want reassurance that their choices are the right choices, and if anything threatens that, we become shirty.

Surely you were there when ACES closed shop. Did anybody that was there when FSX was released think that the next iteration would be for gamers only?

I think that it comes down to care/concern about what the future holds. There have been plenty of blunders in this community/realm, and all it takes is a few more big blunders to ruin this community.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LM had a pretty good hold on the 3rd parties that it has, but now several major developers are going to XP as well, but no XP 3rd parties are coming to P3D. This will result in P3D users having to wait longer, no matter how you slice it.

Why this is happening is debatable.

But did anybody notice the popularity of EDDF (maybe PMDG -8 flights IDK -- P3D only -- ???) along with the fact that most participants were from the USA, and only 1 Flightbeam airport on the list....the strange results and findings are flourishing. 

A direct quote from the survey - page 71:

While respondents tend to fly both simulators, most of the time is spent in Prepar3D

Yet P3D was still ranked #2. I'm telling everyone here, this kind of corruption destroys the possibility of any success. If XP is going to be #1 it needs to EARN that!

Unless there is a correction to the truth, this survey should be counted as totally useless from now on.

For the record I'm a happy camper, and I do not "hate" XP11, I just love honesty and truth. 🤩

• Like 2

Am really happy XP is doing so well. 

Never used it but it looks stunning, sloped runways, lighting... it really does look great.

But until it has AS, Seasons, PMDG, FSL, stunning clouds, Chaseplane, etc I personly have no wise to rebuy all them add-ons again. So until all that happens am happy to watch and see what happens. 

I dont see why it has to be one or the other if you have the money to invest in both then great, enjoy them both for there strengths. I don't, so I will stick to P3D. simple as that for me for now. If you do have both, great enjoy 🙂 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I'm still not convinced that the $200-$300 per year spend on payware addons is a genuine and accurate reflection of the community at large.  Surely not.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, rjfry said:

I cannot get my head round why XP fans take great pleasure in posting in the P3D forum about there sim, I have never posted or read the XP forums and I'm not just talking about avsim forums you see on other sites including FSX, I get the impression it`s to wind some users up. 

rjfry

Someone decided to open this particular topic in the PD3 forum. Someone else tried to open a similar topic in the X plane forum but the moderator felt it was better to keep everyone in this topic as to not duplicate it.

However this topic is more suited in the Hanger's forum since Navagraph covers a wide range of simulators and aircraft that interest everyone and has nothing to do  with the desire to "wind some user up".

Bob

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1