Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil56

Imaginesim KATL

Anybody running the Imaginesim KATL Atlanta airport scenery...??

I've toyed with the idea of getting it for a while, but because of the sheer size of the airport and it's environs I fear it's a gruesome performance hog.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has it installed, your system specs, and what kind of performance you get.

Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that Fly Tampa is coming out with KATL. I'm going to wait.  In the mean time I just used ADE and updated the stock airport. 🙂

Grace and Peace,

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Honestly, it's a great addon airport with good performance.  I really like it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

Honestly, it's a great addon airport with good performance.  I really like it. 

I have to agree!  But I am also looking forward to the FlyTampa release of KATL... they showed they could do a large, highly detailed airport with excellent performance (not an easy thing to do) with their Amsterdam scenery... a scenery which I dearly love!

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have had the Imaginesim KATL for years, and the current version for P3Dv4 works very well. Don't expect to use GSX L2 here because their implementation of SODE and parking assist works well without it.  Performance is as good as any other addon airport.  If FSDT came out with a KATL I would probably stick with Imaginesim just because of that darned couatl.exe engine.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hey thanks for all the info guys.

Sounds like this is a good one and i'll most likely get it, but it's going to have to wait until after the holidays because my flight simulator piggy bank is a little tapped out at the moment.. lol

FWIW, I already have the Imaginesim KCLT scenery, it's great but KCLT would be a mere pimple on KATL's behind, so I was little worried about what to expect performance wise with KATL.

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all.

19 minutes ago, downscc said:

I would probably stick with Imaginesim just because of that darned couatl.exe engine.

Oddly enough, I never had a problem with it in FSX, P3Dv3 or P3Dv4. I like the fact that I don't need to install multiple copies of the same scenery and it all just works. Of course, YMMV.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

22 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

FSDT ? wasnt it Flytampa ?

Thanks Michael Moe

Indeed!  Thanks for the correction!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

KATL is my "home" base, so I installed ImagineSim KATL quite some time ago, and I really enjoy it.  Performance is affected mostly by the percentage of AI I have set (using UTL).  Now that FlyTampa is also doing KATL, we'll just have to wait and see.  Competition is typically a good thing.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I have it, but I'm not at all impressed.  The dynamic lighting is TERRIBLE.  The airport itself is boring, but that's more to do with the layout and design of KATL, so there's not much to be done from a development standpoint.  I don't like either parking option, the dense or normal. Dense places gates too close together whereas normal makes them too sparse.  It's also a huge performance hog, even with my high end system and moderate settings.  I bought it to have a hub in the Southeast, and I use it from time to time, but it's also one of my least-favorite sceneries, and I have more than a hundred to base my opinion on.  I'm not saying don't get it, but don't expect much either imho.

6 hours ago, Bluestar said:

It is my understanding that Fly Tampa is coming out with KATL. I'm going to wait.  In the mean time I just used ADE and updated the stock airport. 🙂

Grace and Peace,

Is your ADE update available publicly?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

It still takes quite a performance hit but nowhere near as bad as past versions.

My main gripes are:

A huge area around the airport is using a custom land mesh to flatten the area. So a few miles away from the airport you see large unnatural "cliffs" for lack of a better word. Their KAUS also has this problem.

Their SODE jetways don't line up to planes quite right for some reason.

Also KATL is going through a big renovation right now so it already is looking different than the imaginesim version. I would think Flytampa will be basing their versions off of the post renovation plans. 

Edited by JasonPC

FlyTampa KATL should be out by 2020. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Is your ADE update available publicly?

I haven't made it available but I can. I have about a dozen I just need to get off my lazy rear end and upload. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam