Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Droning on...

Heathrow Airport was closed down for a few hours last night because of a drone flying on the approach. Apparently there was a police helicopter trying to locate the operator, but I don't know how that ended. Because of the closure, Gatwick got a lot of diversionary traffic to the point where it could not take any more flights, and then they started coming up to us at Manchester and to a few other airports, forcing us to deal with some flights we were not expecting as well as causing us to tow off some aircraft from the stands on pier C to make way for other potential diversionary traffic. Then of course the passengers had to be catered for, transported by buses etc. So thanks for that, whoever the dumbass operating that drone was.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wow! You never realize the implications... 😮

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Off the top of my head, wouldn't drones operate on certain standard frequencies susceptible to being interfered with locally? Drone operators would probably be a lot more careful if their toys were dropping out of the skies in certain areas and not being returned.....

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Has this happened again - this time over London Gatwick?! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

I can see, flights being delayed/cancelled and arriving planes being diverted to LHR and AMS...

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

What a bloody mess.  It's only a matter of time before drones are banned for private use or will have mandatory tracking and ID sensors of some kind.

Gatwick. Not Heathrow. And still closed. 

Edited by Jetset408

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

26 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

Gatwick. Not Heathrow. And still closed. 

So it's Gatwick, Not Heathrow it happened?! 

Wonder why it's still closed... Flights are being diverted... currently BA2262 is just circling over the English Channel... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

European air traffic management group Eurocontrol said the runway would remain closed until 11:00 .

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

From Eurocontrol:

EGKK( Gatwick)
Airfield unavailable due to drones in the area till 1200 UTC.
High delays.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

At a monthly meeting of flight sim enthusiasts on Saturday in Heald Green (1 mile out from EGCC and right under the flight path) a member brought his new drone. He wasn’t able to demonstrate it as it’s sophisticated enough to know he is inside a restricted area and it won’t respond to commands. It should be illegal to sell or own drones that don’t have that technology.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

53 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

At a monthly meeting of flight sim enthusiasts on Saturday in Heald Green (1 mile out from EGCC and right under the flight path) a member brought his new drone. He wasn’t able to demonstrate it as it’s sophisticated enough to know he is inside a restricted area and it won’t respond to commands. It should be illegal to sell or own drones that don’t have that technology.

The problem is, people with intent to disrupt or just be numpties will always find ways around that.  This is why, giving  the common man free reign to do as he pleases on the basis that he'll apply sound judgement is becoming an increasingly bad idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

The problem is, people with intent to disrupt or just be numpties will always find ways around that.  This is why, giving  the common man free reign to do as he pleases on the basis that he'll apply sound judgement is becoming an increasingly bad idea.

The technology is built in to the drone and your average owner won't have the ability to break into it. There are always idiots in all walks of life. The problem as I see it is the law has been slow to respond to the potential damage drones can do in irresponsible hands.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This seems to be a deliberate attempt to cause disruption.  More drones spotted and they don't think it'll be resolved until 4pm.  Crazy

According to AP it's a mess - https://www.apnews.com/313575772ac14fc6a3b7d6edf960291d

Edited by Jim Young
Changed link from Daily Mail to AP so members will read the article....

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

You don't take the DM too seriously. Everything's a mess according to them. I trust your attention wasn't drawn to the clickbait on the right. :biggrin:

Edited by Jim Young
Removed quote as I edited the OP.
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather