Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Droning on...

The latest is that police have called in armed snipers as they don't think its an isolated incident but a deliberate act.   

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 minutes ago, rjfry said:

The latest is that police have called in armed snippers as they don't think its an isolated incident but a deliberate act.   

I hope that they’re there to take out the operator not the drone !

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

3 minutes ago, jon b said:

I hope that they’re there to take out the operator not the drone !

You're kidding, right? 🤨

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

17 minutes ago, rjfry said:

The latest is that police have called in armed snippers as they don't think its an isolated incident but a deliberate act.   

Interesting... I'd assume that they could take it out, as long as they can control where the remains lands... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

If some smart tech guy comes up with something that can detect and trace the signal to the dron they could make some money.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just made the mistake of nipping into work to speak to someone who only works until 4pm (my shift starts tonight at 6pm, so I'd have missed them otherwise). When I went in the crew room, they wanted me to stick around and start work right then, but I didn't have my PPE gear with me so couldn't do so, but I said I'd be back and start an hour early to help out, and this is all thanks to those plonkers flying drones about and causing runways to be shut down and making aircraft divert all over the place, so it's gonna be a fun night tonight. Those things should definitely be required to have an operator licence and should be fitted with transponder devices too, so they show up on radar.

I've no wish to spoil people's fun with flying their drones if they enjoy doing so and it is done responsibily, but when it is at the massive expense of causing passenger aeroplanes to go to different destinations and all of the ensuing trouble that causes, I think it's time to address the matter with some legislation, licensing and/or technology to allow the things to be tracked. There's no way anyone who lives near an airport could be unaware of the potential trouble they might cause with a drone operated near a flight path, so I think some prison sentences are in order too if they find the people who do this sort of thing.

Maybe I should go a bit more proactive: I could always go out and buy a drone on the way into work, fly it about a bit near EGCC when I've parked my car up, with a big piece of tin foil tied to it so it shows up on the radar, and that'd shut that place down too. Then I would be in for a quiet night at work lol.

Oh well, last night of shift block tonight anyway, then off work for four days, can't wait for that, it's bloody cold out on that ramp at the moment, especially on Stand 15 where the wind really blows.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It appears that this operator is using a sophisticated drone, above the simple low-end retail ones that run out of battery life quickly and have very limited control radius.

Addressing the issue with further legislation isn't the answer - it already exists and is observed by law-abiding drone operators.

The actual issue is how to deal with the illegal activity of drone operations in restricted areas, such as near airfields and near large concentrations of people.

There have been many attempts to deal with this problem:

Japanese authorities' effort:
566aeac9dd089546488b46c0-750-563.jpg

Dutch authorities' effort (now grounded due to animal welfare activists):

DAveulAW0AEedTW.jpg

French army's effort:
DkoBkrLVAAAsHAI.jpg

UK-based OpenWorks Engineering's effort:
maxresdefault.jpg

I especially like the last one - cool a.f. 😎

Where the tech needs to be developed is to be able to trace the source of the drone's signal back to the operator much quicker.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

If some smart tech guy comes up with something that can detect and trace the signal to the dron they could make some money.

It's pretty hard to do, they use Wi-Fi and public frequencies to fly them so it's like looking for someone you don't know what they look like in a very crowded subway system. Hard problem. Counter UAS systems are a billion dollar business right now for this very reason. It's a challenging problem because you cannot really jam the command and control links nor GPS for obvious reasons, and acoustic detection sensors are not where they need to be yet. 

33 minutes ago, ErichB said:

What a mess.  

Incredible simple and precise statement for the situation they're facing...

Wondering when they have everything under control again. Judging from the descriptions and implications of the problem, this could take quite some time. Especially if they can't find the person / persons piloting and controlling the drones.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Given the first drone was spotted around 21:00GMT yesterday and it or they continued around 03:00 today and for most of today a conspiracy seems likely. Multiple drones allowing for them to return to base for recharging. And time for people to get some sleep.

But if they shoot them down it seems unlikely the perpetrators will be caught. They could just packup, leave it for a day or so then start again. Nightmare.

Could be idiotic teenager, someone with a grudge against the airport or even terrorist act as it causes massive disruption for very little outlay.

Emergency legislation needs passing to tighten up laws for selling of drones. I can see copycat actions at other airports if the criminals aren’t caught and dealt with most severely.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yet more actions who will ruin an interesting hobby.
I have a drone, being interested in photography, i would never dare to fly in such a place.

The main brands also have software enforced no fly zones, and in case of DJI drones they also offer special tools for authorities to identify drones flying in the area.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

What a mess.  

You should of been in my OCC over the last 2 days.  Mess is an understatement. We've got crew all over the place stuck in the USA Caribbean not just in Gatwick who are fooked for Christmas, its reminiscent of the Iceland volcano.  Its a complete cluster f

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

These idiots (whoever they are) need lengthy prison sentences when they are caught. This situation is totally unacceptable, and could end up costing millions....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

These idiots (whoever they are) need lengthy prison sentences when they are caught. This situation is totally unacceptable, and could end up costing millions....

Id love to deck them. Our flying programme is knackered and the poor crew are stuck everywhere (for once I feel for them) 

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png