Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Native vs. non-native resolutions

Let's say you have two monitors, both are 27". One has native resolution 1920x1080 and the other has native resolution 2560x1440. Now you set both monitors to 1920x1080. Would the picture quality and impact on performance (P3D v4) be the same on both? Would there be any differences?

9 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Let's say you have two monitors, both are 27". One has native resolution 1920x1080 and the other has native resolution 2560x1440. Now you set both monitors to 1920x1080. Would the picture quality and impact on performance (P3D v4) be the same on both? Would there be any differences?

Assuming you're asking either/or, I'd expect the performance to be identical but the higher-res monitor to look fuzzier.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

7 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

So, basically, there's no point in lowering the resolution on higher res monitors to gain performance.

No, exactly the opposite. I mean the performance of two monitors running at the same resolution will be the same. 

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Speaking from personal experience it is not a good idea to run a monitor at anything other than its native resolution. I tried changing my superb BenQ PD3200U down to 1920*1080 - a quarter of its native of 3840*2160 - to run 32-bit Concorde and the VC was far. less distinct. Difficult to live with really.

I expected more given it was a simple halving of the res but it just doesn't work. Stick with native.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather