Sign in to follow this  
portanav

What does this ICON mean?

Can someone explain tome the meaning of the little shield on the bottom right of the ICON, some have it, some don't? --  zZ4xcuj.png

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 but am having problems auto starting certain programs. If I double click on these icons they run normally, but if I place an icon in the startup folder they (those with the shield) do no run whilst others do.

I bypassed the folders of all flight sim programs in the firewall, so can't understand why this happens.

Edited by portanav

It means that it's being protected by Windows UAC. Just do a search on google for UAC shield shortcut icon to get more info.

Mario Di Lauro

If you are signed in as administrator on your PC this should not be a problem, it so that someone who may use your PC cannot edit or change setting if they are logged in as a guest user. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Are you running Prepar3d (and other programs displaying the Windows Defender shield) as an Administrator?  If not log-in as Administrator, then right click the Prepar3d icon, in the pop-up click on "Properties", then the "Compatibility" tab.  Near the bottom of that box you'll see a check box next to "Run this program as an administrator"... make sure there's a check in that box. 

HTH,

Greg

7 hours ago, lownslo said:

Are you running Prepar3d (and other programs displaying the Windows Defender shield) as an Administrator? 

Greg, yes I am.

I am also logged in as Admin user. The thing is, it is only a few of the program icons that have the shield and I can't find out why.

My other problem is some of these programs will no run if placed in the startup folder, again I at a loss.

Sorry Michael.  I've seen this numerous times in Windows 10 installs and every time I could make the Defender shield go away from the desktop icon simply by running the app as Administrator.

Hope you find a solution,

Greg

19 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Sorry Michael.  I've seen this numerous times in Windows 10 installs and every time I could make the Defender shield go away from the desktop icon simply by running the app as Administrator.

Hope you find a solution,

Greg

Thanks Greg.