Sign in to follow this  
mustiej

dll.xml is corrupt and cannot be opened.

Hi guys, 

My dll.xml is corrupted because of an addon scenery I tried to tweak and now I can't even open the file and look for the problem.

What is the concenquences of deleting this file? Reinstall my addons, if so, which ones?

It will get rebuilt. As to which you might need to reinstall - no way for us to know. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

It will get rebuilt. As to which you might need to reinstall - no way for us to know. 

Vic

So reinstall addons must be happening then? Also, we are only talking about the dll.xml in appdata right? Perhaps there is a list of addons that use the xml, so maybe I might only reinstall those instead of everything? addons like orbx takes ages, dont want to reinstall that if thats not needed... 

2 minutes ago, mustiej said:

So reinstall addons must be happening then? Also, we are only talking about the dll.xml in appdata right? Perhaps there is a list of addons that use the xml, so maybe I might only reinstall those instead of everything? addons like orbx takes ages, dont want to reinstall that if thats not needed... 

No need to reinstall orbx. Probably very little would need it. 

FSUIPC, ASP4, REx Weather radar and some aircraft. Just let it rebuild and run p3d. Some of the addons will auto correct and put the entries in already.

Have you tried renaming your dll.xml to dll.txt and see if you can open it in notepad? If you can - post the contents here.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

19 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

No need to reinstall orbx. Probably very little would need it. 

FSUIPC, ASP4, REx Weather radar and some aircraft. Just let it rebuild and run p3d. Some of the addons will auto correct and put the entries in already.

Have you tried renaming your dll.xml to dll.txt and see if you can open it in notepad? If you can - post the contents here.

Vic

I tried doing that and the only way it opens and correctly shows it's content is with notepad++ and it only shows 4 entries before everything goes random characters...

Quick question: everyone seems to have fsuipc either free version or the 30/40 bucks version just for communication between addons? What does that even mean?

Certain addons use FSUIPC to send data back and forth to p3d. Some use FSUIPC to control all their controllers, yoke, rudders etc. If it is required for a specific addon, they will tell you.

your best bet is to just delete the old xml file and let P3D rebuild it. It's either that or don't run P3D any more because you have to have the dll.xml file. There is NO easy way around the problem unless you had a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

Certain addons use FSUIPC to send data back and forth to p3d. Some use FSUIPC to control all their controllers, yoke, rudders etc. If it is required for a specific addon, they will tell you.

your best bet is to just delete the old xml file and let P3D rebuild it. It's either that or don't run P3D any more because you have to have the dll.xml file. There is NO easy way around the problem unless you had a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

Okay, I geuss I will reinstall the addons in the weekend then. Do you perhaps know if any of the FlyTampa, DDesign, FSdreamteam or Aerosoft scenery or third party scenery in general addons require reinstalling? I have a couple of them along with 2 PMDG aircraft(I will reinstall these), GSX(reinstall needed?) and 3 products of night environment...

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling all those addons - RUN P3D and see what happens. Most of what you listed may not need anything done at all. Don't give yourself more work than necessary.

once you get it right, make a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

2 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling all those addons - RUN P3D and see what happens. Most of what you listed may not need anything done at all. Don't give yourself more work than necessary.

once you get it right, make a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

I can run p3d just fine except the addon scenery that caused the corrupted dll.xml doesn't load very well, missing buildings etc and the pmdg aircraft doesn't function. Before, the game wouldn't even launch because of the corrupted addon file. I fixed that by reinstalling the addon but by tweaking it, I messed up the xml file somehow, so even if the game starts and runs fine, the file can't be opened and edited meaning the addon scenery still doesn't function. 

Try Notepad ++.  It should open the file.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 minute ago, jmdriskell said:

Try Notepad ++.  It should open the file.

It does but 90% of the content is random characters. The file is damaged.

Most the time the last addon you installed will make a backup of the dll file. Do you have one of those. BTW, I keep a spare tor just, I say just such an occasion.

Edited by Adrian123

5 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Most the time the last addon you installed will make a backup of the dll file. Do you have one of those. BTW, I keep a spare tor just, I say just such an occasion.

In the same location I find scenery backups but nothing else that suggest a backup. Maybe another location?

25 minutes ago, mustiej said:

It does but 90% of the content is random characters. The file is damaged. 

That could just be the file encoding gone wrong, caused by an incompatible installer that was unaware of proper character encoding. Try to change the encoding in Notepad++ (menu "Encoding" at the top) to UTF-8 or UTF-8 BOM, and if that fails, try UCS-2 LE BOM.

Best regards

LORBY-SI