Sign in to follow this  
mustiej

EFB 2, GSX and addon sceneries different from eachother

Hi guys,

I have a couple of issues with gates, taxiways, jetways etc.. don't know where the problem is..

Whenever I land or want to take off, the gate in game of the addon airport isn't similar to that of the EFB 2 that I use. Neither is the taxiways. Sometimes the single or dual jetways won't work. When using the GSX's warp me there feature, it warps inside the terminal way off the gate's position. This doesn't happen when I choose the gate in P3D's own menu though.. 

Also, sometimes when typing in my flightplan, I get the fmc message of 'not in database'.. 

When I have these issues, I don't know where the problem is. Is it the scenery, game, gsx, or perhaps efb2?

Edited by mustiej

I do not have EFB2, but I do know that anytime GSX, the game and some third party program like EFB (e.g. LittleNavMap) there's usually multiple AFCAD files that conflict with each other. The different programs are probably referencing different AFCAD files. Some addons will install their own AFCAD, and even though usually third party AFCADs will disable any default ones, every time you have issues such as you describe, it's worthwhile having a look to make sure.

Now as I said, I don't own EFB2, so I don't know if it uses Navigraph data, or does it scan your scenery library to determine what you actually have? There is absolutely no guarantee that Navigraph's up-to-date information matches the frequently out-of-date depictions you see in your sim.

When you run into situations such as this, are you using default sceneries, or third party? Do you have any specific examples?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

I do not have EFB2, but I do know that anytime GSX, the game and some third party program like EFB (e.g. LittleNavMap) there's usually multiple AFCAD files that conflict with each other. The different programs are probably referencing different AFCAD files. Some addons will install their own AFCAD, and even though usually third party AFCADs will disable any default ones, every time you have issues such as you describe, it's worthwhile having a look to make sure.

Now as I said, I don't own EFB2, so I don't know if it uses Navigraph data, or does it scan your scenery library to determine what you actually have? There is absolutely no guarantee that Navigraph's up-to-date information matches the frequently out-of-date depictions you see in your sim.

When you run into situations such as this, are you using default sceneries, or third party? Do you have any specific examples?

I totally forgot to mention this; I used the freeware program to scan for duplicates, now it says that it doesn't support v4 but it does for me. Only 2 duplicates in a region where I didn't notice these issues. I don't have knowledge about these afcad files but I believe these are .bgl files? EFB2 uses navigraph or the aerosoft ones, I made a database from navigraph. These issues that I've noticed are third party airports. I usually fly only airports that I've an addon for it. So, I don't know if these happen with default ones too.

So, the problem with solely relying on Navigraph data is that the data you use is typically current, and your scenery may already be several years old, depending what you use. For new, P3Dv4 airport this shouldn't be much of an issue, but P3Dv4 airports ported from earlier versions, you may find all sorts of inaccuracies. The most dramatic example of this is KORD, which changes all the time. Also, if you use FSDT's KJFK you will notice that Delta's old Terminal is still there in all its ancient glory; in reality it's been torn down several years ago. Sadly, if you insist on using EFB for your airports, you will always retain such issues.

Why GSX and your airport aren't in sync I'm not sure, but if I may hazard I guess, I'd think that GSX is running with whaetver the AFCAD is offering it. If you head oevr to FSDT's GSX subforum on their forums, you will find people making specific GSX 'instruction-type' files for severla airports, which should at least update parkings to match GSX to whatever your scenery actually depicts, even if it's outdated.

As an aside, I've personally found Littlenavmap an excellent program for flight planning, and especially operations at airports. This nifty flight planner scans your scenery databases, so it only depicts what you actually have and thereby makes sure that your routings will always work, and your airports will depict the way they actually are.

Hope that helps!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

10 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

So, the problem with solely relying on Navigraph data is that the data you use is typically current, and your scenery may already be several years old, depending what you use. For new, P3Dv4 airport this shouldn't be much of an issue, but P3Dv4 airports ported from earlier versions, you may find all sorts of inaccuracies. The most dramatic example of this is KORD, which changes all the time. Also, if you use FSDT's KJFK you will notice that Delta's old Terminal is still there in all its ancient glory; in reality it's been torn down several years ago. Sadly, if you insist on using EFB for your airports, you will always retain such issues.

Why GSX and your airport aren't in sync I'm not sure, but if I may hazard I guess, I'd think that GSX is running with whaetver the AFCAD is offering it. If you head oevr to FSDT's GSX subforum on their forums, you will find people making specific GSX 'instruction-type' files for severla airports, which should at least update parkings to match GSX to whatever your scenery actually depicts, even if it's outdated.

As an aside, I've personally found Littlenavmap an excellent program for flight planning, and especially operations at airports. This nifty flight planner scans your scenery databases, so it only depicts what you actually have and thereby makes sure that your routings will always work, and your airports will depict the way they actually are.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Littlenavmap seems to be a github project.. will check it out!