Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

9900K Direct Die Cooling

Well it is good that folks are trying but 4-10 drop in temp and that is a maybe, That seems like quite a risk for not much return depending on your luck. Being an old poker player I think I would pass. If you are doing it for fun and have deep pockets I guess maybe. Some pigs just don't take well to lipstick! LOL

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

12 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Well it is good that folks are trying but 4-10 drop in temp and that is a maybe, That seems like quite a risk for not much return depending on your luck. 

That 4 - 10 drop is compared with a delidded 9900K with liquid metal. So should be added to the drop in temp as a result of delidding. But yes, not Earth shattering. 

If you got 10 degrees lower it would be well work it. I'll definitely do this on my next build in a year from now.   Coming up on 6 years for my i7 4770K build which is still pumping out frames at 4.8ghz 😁

As I said, that's in addition to the initial delidding. Delidding a soldered 9900K can result in a 5 - 10 degree drop so if you are lucky enough to get the same with the direct die frame I guess you could be looking at a 10 - 20 degree drop total. 

Sounds like there is quite a margin for error given that it has to be very precise between die and cooler and there could be just enough air gap in between because its not sitting low enough.  He believes most coolers including AIO should work, but seems risky given that process. Was great for the 6700k but I think I will pass this time for my 9700k. The temps are reasonable running P3D anyhow. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Not sure I would use aluminum for this product... Delrin would be much safer.  The anodizing will protect the aluminum from the Gallium... until there is even the slightest nick or scratch.  And things could get ugly.

Greg

I was thinking the same thing, some stiff non-conductive material would be better than relying on thin plating. Either way I think this has got Rob's name all over it for use with his chiller setup. :laugh:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

15 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

I was thinking the same thing, some stiff non-conductive material would be better than relying on thin plating. Either way I think this has got Rob's name all over it for use with his chiller setup. :laugh:

Ted

I think if it's quality anodising it should be okay. After all, it's merely a frame to allow the CPU to be mounted, rather than a critical component like a cooler base plate. As long as reasonable care is taken during installation I see no issues. Once in place, it's not going to get any damage. 

50 minutes ago, martin-w said:

As long as reasonable care is taken during installation I see no issues.

After watching the video again it looks like the anodized bracket is kept above the motherboard by the CPU socket. I thought initially that it was clamped to the printed circuits on the motherboard.

This gentleman is quite innovative with the products he develops.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

1 hour ago, Ted Striker said:

After watching the video again it looks like the anodized bracket is kept above the motherboard by the CPU socket. I thought initially that it was clamped to the printed circuits on the motherboard.

This gentleman is quite innovative with the products he develops.

Ted

it wasn't so much that it was conductive, it was the reaction of aluminium with gallium that was concerning Greg. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 7:53 AM, martin-w said:

As I said, that's in addition to the initial delidding

Yeah that's what I meant. 10 degrees on top of gains of provided by delidding and liquid metal.

Although I find the 3 to 10 degree spread a little suspect. I would suspect that is a result of the quality of the application rather than random variations in die.

When I originally delidded my i7 4770k I contemplated putting the cooler right on top on the die without the heat spreader. I don't recall checking to see if it would actually fit but I was worried about how the die would stand up to the direct compression force. I'd still be concerned about that.

The heat spreader doesn't only conduct heat to the cooler. Does it not also protect the die from excessive compression force?

21 hours ago, Avidean said:

The heat spreader doesn't only conduct heat to the cooler. Does it not also protect the die from excessive compression force?

Yes, true. But I perhaps the der8auer direct die frame is engineered precisely to the depth of the die, so minimal stress on the die. 

Edited by martin-w