whilst TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 can use about 4GB, TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 is 4x the size and could theoretically use 16GB. from experience (with my not quite max settings in P3D) a couple of sky textures set outside P3D to 4096k will use all the RAM on a 1080 and spit me out to the desktop. in my experience active sky will give a warning and rex will not before you are dumped out (CTD).
I removed TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=anything and although textures more obviously 'come into focus' as I progress across the landscape, I'm satisfied with the compromise.

the point I'm aluding to is that a card with 4GB at 9 will handle everything but going to 10 and depending on the requirements of the enviroment you're flying in and what texture settings are; you can use more ram than is available.
oh, and monitor resolution is a factor.

Edited by jpf

Problem solved! Now VRAM / shared memory usage as expected (and normal!) 🙂

@EastFB72 

Was all ok at your system?

@kiek You still have the problem? 

As im not totally sure what was the real last successful step: I was fiddeling around in the Nvidia Profile Inspector, cause it was obviously a problem in the graphic region of my PC. But after success, i cant reproduce the problem by putting settings back. I think the successful option was: 

2018-12-23_124826.gif

I have to mention that I had activated the internal GPU for my fourth monitor 3-4 months ago in my actual windows installation, but not with the current P3D installation, nor with the new GPU. Also the internal GPU was disabled in BIOS the last months. kiek, please try the other two options, maybe followed by returning to your currently selected option and tell me if your real VRAM memory is used at demanding settings (without shared memory usage going high too! now i have 5-6-7 GB used, with shared memory at 0.2-0.4 GB) Dont forget to press the apply button in inspector! 🙂

Addendum: I before uninstalled nvidia driver with DDU, activated iGPU, uninstalled intel driver with DDU, pressed (tried) p3d to run on the iGPU intel-monitor. No success until i changed the multi-montor/rendering option in inspector.

Greetings from happy Thomas 

15 minutes ago, ThomasEDDL said:

@kiek You still have the problem? 

Yes I have. But I have only one monitor and I'm not using Nvidia inspector ...

4 hours ago, ThomasEDDL said:

@kiek Never used iGPU?

No, not that I am aware off. I had a GTX970 before.