Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Metal...PBR style

Thanks P_7878!

In the never-ending quest to dial in the metal to my satisfaction, here is another adjustment to the red channel on the metallic map and alpha on the main map.  You can see the line between the nose and mid texture maps as I'm only adjusting the nose, and then going into the sim to see the outcome.    Mid section has my previous adjustments, the nose the newest.

If it is possible to wear out an SSD for concurrent loads of the same app over, and over, and over, and over...a painter trying to get the new PBR effects just right will certainly do it! :blink:

P6Wjr5.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi @Steve Dra,

did you know, that changing the texture resolution within P3D (Options>Graphics>Display>Texture Resolution) reloads all the textures of the addon aircraft? This is true for all "normal" textures I came across. I know nothing about pbr but in the end they are still textures, no?

Maybe it helps you save some time and nerves.

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

On 12/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, NovemberUniform said:

Hi @Steve Dra,

did you know, that changing the texture resolution within P3D (Options>Graphics>Display>Texture Resolution) reloads all the textures of the addon aircraft? This is true for all "normal" textures I came across. I know nothing about pbr but in the end they are still textures, no?

Maybe it helps you save some time and nerves.

Wow Nels....didn't know that but I'll surely try it out!

I got the One World and Wifi onboard stickers on....hope to have it done soon.

1ciaT1.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks for the tip Nels....it works! 🙂

Still tweaking and have so many iterations of the variations I'm playing with it's mind numbing.  Looks like I'll put a beta version under the tree to give you guys something to fly tomorrow (if that is your Christmas plans) 🙂

There are slight differences between the 3 main maps that are giving the overall plane a slightly different look between them...so may not even notice unless the sun is just right and you hit just the right angle as you're panning around it.  

In this pic, the reflection you see on the bottom of the plane is the actual ground below, and as you see it in motion the effect of shiny metal is as close as we've every seen in FSX/P3d!

lYl5ny.jpg

This pic shows the nose door latch I added, plus the optional Super 80 glue stain you'll see on some older AA Maddogs (sadly you better look quick because they are soon to be only seen in boneyards or in pictures) 😞

3XKPWr.jpg

The new PBR effects and additional details will make this hands down the hardest plane I've painted in 15 years!

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

5 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Thanks for the tip Nels....it works! 🙂

Great! Happy to help one of my all time favorite painters. 

Is this the MD-82 model or the newly released MD-83 / MD-88? Do the models even differ? 

Edited by NovemberUniform

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

Steve - what is there left to say about your mad skills!!! In fact, you owe me over $3,000 for the new rig I just got because I wanted to use your many repaints in P3D4 🙂

I can’t wait to fly this one, although I may just end up loading it into the sim starring at it 😉

Thanks for another of your many Christmas gifts you’ve given this community.

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dmosdk.jpg

Thanks to our awesome Library Manager Brian Neuman, this gift is just a click away from being under your virtual Christmas Tree!

Simply click the link in my sig and she's yours! 🙂

Enjoy flying her and let me see some pics of her at some great angles with the sun glinting off her shiny surface...and its a REAL shine now...not just painted on. 🙂 

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve, this looks stunning!! Can’t wait to get home from the holidays end get P3D 4.4 installed and get the MD80 up and running to see these new PBR effects. Is this paint for the MD-82 or -83? 

3 hours ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

Steve, this looks stunning!! Can’t wait to get home from the holidays end get P3D 4.4 installed and get the MD80 up and running to see these new PBR effects. Is this paint for the MD-82 or -83? 

I was told its an 83, although I may have labeled it as an 82....the textures resemble the 83, so you may have to edit your aircraft config accordingly....still learning the subtle nuances between all the models.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I was told its an 83, although I may have labeled it as an 82....the textures resemble the 83, so you may have to edit your aircraft config accordingly....still learning the subtle nuances between all the models.

I looked up the reg and you are correct, it’s an -83. Haha tell me about it, I’ve been reading countless things trying to wrap my head around the various MD-80 variants. The -83 is pretty much an extended range version of the -82 and the -88 came with with an updated cockpit, however -82s received the same cockpit upgrades eventually so the difference between them became even murkier. 

The cockpit layout we have with the MaddogX lends itself better to AA -83s because when I look at the pictures they have the electronic engine instruments as well as dual FMCs on some of them. All the pictures of -82s I’ve seen have the analog engine dials and a different kind of FMC than what we have in the sim 

She’s an absolute beauty Steve, thanks for your hard work. As I predicted, being new to P3D, I just ended up loading this repaint on the ramp at EDDF and starring at it 🙂

Thanks again for the Christmas gift!

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

On 12/26/2018 at 8:00 AM, Peter Z KCLE_EDDN said:

She’s an absolute beauty Steve, thanks for your hard work. As I predicted, being new to P3D, I just ended up loading this repaint on the ramp at EDDF and starring at it 🙂

Thanks again for the Christmas gift!

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Pete.

And I did you a favor by forcing you to get a PC to handle P3D....hehe....its been the best thing to happen to flightsim since I started simming.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Thanks Pete.

And I did you a favor by forcing you to get a PC to handle P3D....hehe....its been the best thing to happen to flightsim since I started simming.

Lmao, so true 🙂

Steve. Thanks for the livery. But i cannot seem to get it to work. The loadmanager doesnt seem to add it the way it should.

I saw that you have all files in the texture folder but the other liveries have the XXXairframe.cfg outside there. I tried this manually but this also fails. Now it adds it to the loadmanager but it will never show up in the Sim.  Can you please doublecheck the folder structure in the latest version?

If i do it manually over cfg file it probably get trouble with mainetenance again.

Edited by Senchai

BetaTeamB.png