Sign in to follow this  
malct

Transferring from FSX to FSX Stream

Hi, I have you purchased the FSX Stream edition and i am attempted to get my head around how do i transfer all my software from FSX Gold to FSX Stream.

So far i have downloaded FSX Stream and located its folder Program files 86/stream/streamapps/common/fsx

I have started up the stream edition after the download and loads up ok.

I have downloaded one of my paid airports and directed the file to Program files 86/stream/streamapps/common/fsx and i can see it in the Addon scenery folder next to texture and scenery.

I have restarted FSX Stream, but the add on file is not in the scenery library

Any help in where i am going wrong.

I have not deleted the FSX gold edition and other addon scenery's yet, Do you think its goings to be best to delete everything off my PC first, or is there away of transferring files from the Old FSX over to FSX Stream.

It sounds complicated to me. (Getting to Old)

Thank you for any help

Did the same as you years ago. To be frank if you are serious with transition to the steam edition long term you are better off starting with a new installation of windows and fsx steam and not using any other version. Having 2 versions on the same pc will cause many headaches for you. It is definitely worth it in the long run I am getting the best ever sessions these days and still can not see me needing to leave the platform for a very long time. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I would also recommend Steam installed under C:\Steam, not Program Files(x86).

Also strongly agree with the above comment, dual installs will create havoc.

Nonetheless well worth the effort. Have run FSX SE for years now, one crash.

19 minutes ago, philabos said:

Absolutely, even better set up a whole disk drive or partition for your simming and keep everything in there away from all your system stuff, will make rights management a breeze and backups easier.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

1 hour ago, philabos said:

Actually, DoveTail corrected (fixed) the permissions issue for the default install path.  I'm not saying to avoid using the default install path, but there is no need to do this as their was back with FSX.  Just one of many enhancements with the FSX Steam Edition.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you for your replies

I will delete everything and start everything new.

Regards

I have downloaded one of my paid airports and directed the file to Program files 86/stream/streamapps/common/fsx and i can see it in the Addon scenery folder next to texture and scenery.

I have restarted FSX Stream, but the add on file is not in the scenery library

Any help in where i am going wrong.

I did that FSX and FSX steam thing for awhile and after experiencing these kind of grieves I thought , WHY? I chose FSX Steam and deleted FSX Box and never regretted it. I never figured why to have both. Steam installs a legacy path. Sounds like your getting closed. Good luck.

Edited by Adrian123

1 hour ago, malct said:

Thank you for your replies

I will delete everything and start everything new.

Regards

I would recommend if you are going to delete everything then run the free version of Revo Uninstaller to remove some of the registry entries.

If you can clear all signs of FSX out of the registry then when you install FSX Steam it will install with the default FSX naming conventions, etc. making using non Steam addons much easier to install.

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

If you still have trouble trying to clean your registry out but dont want to install windows clean a last measure that MAY work is to

1) UN install Steam/FSX completely from your system.

2) create a new user in Windows "SIMMING or GAMING" or whatever name you prefer , make it an administrator

3)Install Steam and FSX AFTER logging into that account and just use that account for your simming. After install you can make the new user a standard one again not admin for safety.

It REALLY is a good thing if STEAM is kept separate from your windows program files directory and preferably on a different drive completely. Addons work better and simpler this way too!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Thank you for your help, I have done a full recovery on the PC, So now the work comes to install everything. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, malct said:

Thank you for your help, I have done a full recovery on the PC, So now the work comes to install everything. 

Gold luck! It's worth creating a system restore point each time things are working well and before you install something major. Then you can go back easily and undo anything that causes problems. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Just installed Stream and UT2 and all working so far.

Regards all the other files, They will need to be pointed to the stream folder i imagine.

Slowly getting there, But like one poster once said, Only install the files that your going to be using, So likes of KL airport, Its rare that i used it, So i might not install it. 

Getting there, a few issues. No planes at Bangkok airport, I am running UT live and i believe that the planes are at the new airport and not the old one.

One issue i have, If i am watching another plane in the sky, Its spluttering and other daft noises.

Going to attempt uploading QW 757, But looking for another plane now, Any planes that come with a co pilot i wonder to do all the work ?

I have downloaded all my airports, So i have not tried them all yet.

Not impressed with the colours, too dull, Maybe its something i can look at later 

1 hour ago, malct said:

Going to attempt uploading QW 757, But looking for another plane now, Any planes that come with a co pilot i wonder to do all the work

The wonderful freeware C-47 comes with talking pilots, who read checklists for you. The A2A LO49 Connie has an automated engineer to manage all the engines and pressurization. The Aerosoft A320 series used to have your co pilot do checklists AND actually flick switches for you. Pretty sure their latest version does the same. I'm sure others will add some more options those are ac I have personally used and enjoyed in FSX. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK