Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

1080 to 2080Ti - 10Fps drop?

Poppet

In this situation the OP resolved his Issue by regenerating the Prepar3D.cfg file and the Shaders folder

Please see the link below for more Information and locations of this file and folder

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=131587#p189254

Message added by Poppet

So I just took the plunge and upgraded my 1080 to a 2080 Ti.  Every game I have frame rates have gone up by an insane amount.  P3D, I was averaging 30fps on 31L @ jfk with fair weather and 100% UT Live traffic.  I popped in the 2080ti, fired up the same scenario, and my frame rates are now 18-20.  I deleted shaders but no change.  Any idea why I had such a severe decrease?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Did u reload your graphics driver and delete your cfg.?

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Did u reload your graphics driver and delete your cfg.?

Plus cache.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Run safe mode, delete driver, shut down, reboot in safe mode, select custom install and install driver only, shut down, reboot normally, voila! BTW, if you normally run Nvidia Inspector, try not doing so and run only graphics settings in P3d.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I ran DDU in safe mode and that step, I also deleted shader cache, I didnt try the P3D cfg yet.  Gonna give that a go now and will report back.  I figured at the very least I'd have the same performance as I know P3D is very CPU restricted, but didn't think I'd get less! haha

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Welp - there it was.  After deleting shaders again and the p3d cfg, I was able to push my GFX settings WAY higher than they were and maintain no lower than 35 FPS on 31L @ JFK facing NYC with 40% UTL traffic.  I actually didn't think I'd see much improvement over my old 1080 but I guess I was wrong.

--------

Moderators Note: 

Please see the link below for more Information regarding the Prepar3D.cfg file and the Shaders folder location

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=131587#p189254

Edited by Poppet
edited post to include Information and link

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

1 hour ago, pegruder said:

Welp - there it was.  After deleting shaders again and the p3d cfg, I was able to push my GFX settings WAY higher than they were and maintain no lower than 35 FPS on 31L @ JFK facing NYC with 40% UTL traffic.  I actually didn't think I'd see much improvement over my old 1080 but I guess I was wrong.

The 2080ti is a very powerful card.  I don’t think the benchmarks show its true performance.  My 2080ti performs better then my two 1080ti’s in SLI.  

Matt Wilson

The 2080ti is a very powerful card.

It should be considering the extortionate amount of money they are charging for it!!

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It should be considering the extortionate amount of money they are charging for it!!

Haha your not kidding.  I mainly got it as I play alot of VR games that are demanding however for the past 15 years I've been flight simming I've been striving for the holy grail of performance as I'm sure we all have.  This is probably the first time I've invested in hardware and seen true sim performance increases.  I remember when I turned 18 and got a no interest credit card.  I said to myself - THIS IS IT!  I went to town on a water cooled top of the line rig (whatever that was at the time).  I only saw a 1-2fps avg increase.  This time the CPU and GPU combo brought me some fairly serious gains, honestly for probably less than I spent back then.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

13 hours ago, pegruder said:

P3D, I was averaging 30fps on 31L @ jfk with fair weather and 100% UT Live traffic.  

2 hours ago, pegruder said:

I was able to push my GFX settings WAY higher than they were and maintain no lower than 35 FPS on 31L @ JFK facing NYC with 40% UTL traffic. 

Chris - Since I also just purchased the ASUS STRIX 2080TI, I'd like to know a bit more about the scenario you were using to compare performance.  If I can duplicate more or less what you are doing, I could then compare your 9900K @ 5GHz with my 8700K @ 5GHz to see what improvement I might see with a CPU upgrade. 

In addition to what you already stated (assuming 40% UTL), please tell me what aircraft you loaded up (C&D or engines running), what 3rd party scenery (if any) for KJFK, and any other scenery add-ons (like Orbx, etc.) in the region.  Also, are dynamic lights enabled and are any turned on in the aircraft.  Thanks for your time.  The 2080Ti produced an 850% performance boost over the GTX1060 I had previously, so I'd be interested to see what marginal improvements might come with a 9900k.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I purchased a 2080ti today.  MSI Gaming X Trio.  It is to replace my 1080.  Had no clue I needed an additional 8-pin power cable and additional 6-pin power cable.

Nowhere around here sells those so I gotta order them online... and my 2080Ti and all its performance goodies just sits in its’ box taunting me.

pezgM.gif

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

41 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

I purchased a 2080ti today.  MSI Gaming X Trio.  It is to replace my 1080.  Had no clue I needed an additional 8-pin power cable and additional 6-pin power cable.

Most modern power supplies have those, I believe. You might end up having to nab one eventually.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 12/22/2018 at 1:08 PM, dmiannay said:

Chris - Since I also just purchased the ASUS STRIX 2080TI, I'd like to know a bit more about the scenario you were using to compare performance.  If I can duplicate more or less what you are doing, I could then compare your 9900K @ 5GHz with my 8700K @ 5GHz to see what improvement I might see with a CPU upgrade. 

In addition to what you already stated (assuming 40% UTL), please tell me what aircraft you loaded up (C&D or engines running), what 3rd party scenery (if any) for KJFK, and any other scenery add-ons (like Orbx, etc.) in the region.  Also, are dynamic lights enabled and are any turned on in the aircraft.  Thanks for your time.  The 2080Ti produced an 850% performance boost over the GTX1060 I had previously, so I'd be interested to see what marginal improvements might come with a 9900k.

I loaded up the default F22, with the Drzweicki NYC, JFK and EWR installed.  UTL was also installed along with orbx.  on 31L, default spring day, with Fair weather.  Also running ASP4 and rex Skyforce.  Avg was 26-28, now 34-38 on the new card.  Not a scientific test but was good enough considering NY airspace has always been nearly unflyable for me.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

51 minutes ago, pegruder said:

I loaded up the default F22, with the Drzweicki NYC, JFK and EWR installed.  UTL was also installed along with orbx.  on 31L, default spring day, with Fair weather.  Also running ASP4 and rex Skyforce.  Avg was 26-28, now 34-38 on the new card.  Not a scientific test but was good enough considering NY airspace has always been nearly unflyable for me.

Perfect... and thanks, Chris.  Gives me something to go by.  I am currently getting a solid 30 FPS in a similar scenario, but I'm using FSD KJFKv2, FSL A320 (eng running) and all the Orbx products.  Also using P3D "Clear Skies" without ASP4 and ASCA.   Tried my scenario with the default F22 and got a solid 37-38.  I agree... not scientific, but encouraging results.

Merry Christmas!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64