Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

CaptainSim 757 P3D v4

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

It seems to be playing the Terrain warning every time, but then I have only been circuit testing at one airport so far (Runway 34 departure at EGPD Aberdeen).

Do you need excessively long takeoff runs? The EPR for takeoff differs substantially from TOPCAT's value which results in really long takeoff rolls and, depending on the terrain, terrain warnings right after getting airborne. I remember taking off from KSFO's 28L with the terrain behind the runway was a scary roller coaster...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, threegreen said:

The EPR for takeoff differs substantially from TOPCAT's value which results in really long takeoff rolls

Could you elaborate?  Are you saying the TOPCAT EPR value is incorrect?  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

The main runway at Aberdeen is 6400 feet long, and I am able to reach Vr comfortably before I run out of asphalt. However, this is with 66 per cent fuel, and no payload. One thing I have noticed though is that the calculated take off trim seems to be excessively nose down. It should be relatively well balanced if it has been calculated correctly, but I always have to pull back on the yoke quite a bit to maintain even a slight climb attitude. This issue may also be responsible for inducing the TERRAIN warning.

I am going to test a range of trim settings to see what works best.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

20 hours ago, SAX702 said:

Could you elaborate?  Are you saying the TOPCAT EPR value is incorrect?  

I'm not sure which one is incorrect but I'm more inclined to say it's the 757's. TOPCAT has always been spot on for me in other aircraft, mainly the NGX. The CS 757 also doesn't allow for assumed temps higher than (I think) 51, so I can't even use the highest assumed temp from TOCPAT most of the time. The 757's EPR rating is always way higher than TOPCAT's. On my last takeoff out of ATL the TOPCAT EPR was 1.30 and the 757 gave me 1.36 with the same assumed temp/derate. Considering the lower assumed temp used plus the higher takeoff power compared to TOPCAT I should make it off the runway noticeably sooner with more margin left than TOPCAT says, however, I always need more runway. This doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

One thing I have noticed though is that the calculated take off trim seems to be excessively nose down. It should be relatively well balanced if it has been calculated correctly, but I always have to pull back on the yoke quite a bit to maintain even a slight climb attitude. This issue may also be responsible for inducing the TERRAIN warning.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing, too. Some others have noted the same problem over at the CS forums but some people don't seem to have any issues which is strange. The CDU value also matches that in the manual, yet the aircraft is heavily undertrimmed on rotation.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I'm not sure which one is incorrect but I'm more inclined to say it's the 757's. TOPCAT has always been spot on for me in other aircraft, mainly the NGX. The CS 757 also doesn't allow for assumed temps higher than (I think) 51, so I can't even use the highest flex temp from TOCPAT most of the time and still almost run out of runway frequently. On my last takeoff out of ATL the TOPCAT EPR was 1.30 and the 757 gave me 1.36 with the same assumed temp/derate.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing, too. Some others have noted the same problem over at the CS forums but some people don't seem to have any issues which is strange. The CDU value also matches that in the manual, yet the aircraft is heavily undertrimmed on rotation.

In my case i felt that it doesn't climb so much on takeoff and I have to pull a lot on the stick but rotation is fine for me

7 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

In my case i felt that it doesn't climb so much on takeoff and I have to pull a lot on the stick but rotation is fine for me

You're right, that's what I meant. Not rotation initially but as soon as I'm airborne the nose down trim becomes obvious.

Edited by threegreen

Same here. Rotation is smooth, but the plane wants to pitch over on climb out.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

I'm not sure which one is incorrect but I'm more inclined to say it's the 757's. TOPCAT has always been spot on for me in other aircraft, mainly the NGX. The CS 757 also doesn't allow for assumed temps higher than (I think) 51, so I can't even use the highest flex temp from TOCPAT most of the time and still almost run out of runway frequently. On my last takeoff out of ATL the TOPCAT EPR was 1.30 and the 757 gave me 1.36 with the same assumed temp/derate.

Thank you.  I've noticed the CS 757 EPR limitations compared to TOPCAT, but I'm not yet sure which one is right.  Regarding trim, I haven't noticed any issues after I set the weights, trims, etc., based on TOPCAT.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

5 minutes ago, SAX702 said:

I set the weights, trims, etc., based on TOPCAT.

Are you saying you set the trim value given by TOPCAT?

15 hours ago, threegreen said:

Are you saying you set the trim value given by TOPCAT?

Yes, but I'm always learning.  Should I look elsewhere for trim value?  

dv

23 minutes ago, SAX702 said:

Yes, but I'm always learning.  Should I look elsewhere for trim value?  

No, I'm just curious. What's the trim value from TOPCAT compared to the 757?

Can someone please let me know how I activate the following....

• Altitude callouts
  • Thrust indicator position

VNAV mode is annoying me a bit. I changed all the departure speeds in the FMS (because 250 knots just after the wheels have left the ground seemed a bit excessive), but they seem to have been ignored. It also annoys me that I do not seem to be able to have VNAV and SPD active at the same time (like I can in the PMDG Boeings), which may force me to switch off VNAV mode. However, when I tried that on my last flight, I was unable to activate the SPD button?? I am probably doing something wrong, but I just want to get these issues sorted out, so that I can complete a flight whilst actually feeling like I am in control!

On a side note, the framerate on my PC is excellent (and that is with the VC cabin enabled). I will need to test it at various locations to be certain, but it seems to be smoother than any of my PMDG aircraft.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No other CS 757 pilots here with at least answers to my first two questions?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Can someone please let me know how I activate the following....

Altitude callouts are there and should definitely work like any other plane. Something's not right there. I usually don't like to suggest re-installs but, honestly, no idea why you don't have altitude callouts. As for your second question, I assume you're referring to a thrust lever position indicator like in PMDG birds? If so, there is none.

I changed all the departure speeds in the FMS ... but they seem to have been ignored.

Happens to me too sometimes.

However, when I tried that on my last flight, I was unable to activate the SPD button?? I am probably doing something wrong

You're not doing anything wrong. SPD INTV doesn't work, when on VNAV the SPD window can't be opened. It's a bug.

Thanks, Niklas. The only altitude callouts that I hear are "1000" and "100".

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png