Sign in to follow this  
HarryTwine

FUEL TEMP ISSUE?!?!

Hi All.

Just got back to the flightdeck on a trans-atlantice route to find my 744 at 7000ft and close to stall speeds with only 2 engines live. 

Wondering whether PMDG model the minimum fuel temp, because thats all I got for the cause. If the temp goes below minimum then the fuel crystalises and blocks the fuel lines. 

Thisis the only reason I can think of as to why the aircraft failed to engines at that sort of altitude. 

Anybody know any more?

Thanks!!

25 minutes ago, HarryTwine said:

Anybody know any more?

More importantly, which engines were dead, and how much fuel did you have in each tank?

(...but to answer your question, yes, we also model fuel temp and its effects.)

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

More importantly, which engines were dead, and how much fuel did you have in each tank?

(...but to answer your question, yes, we also model fuel temp and its effects.)

Hi, 

Engines 1 and 4 were dead. 

The Main 1 and Main 4 tanks were empty.

Sounds like you took off in Tank/Eng config by mistake?

regards Jon Bunting 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

25 minutes ago, HarryTwine said:

Hi, 

Engines 1 and 4 were dead. 

The Main 1 and Main 4 tanks were empty.

The 747 is a complex aircraft. Our simulation of it is similarly complex, and definitely requires some self-study to learn how to properly operate it. We have provided some resources for you, along with the aircraft.

Please ensure you follow the tutorial, and read this thread:

Additionally, full names - first and last - are required here in the forum.

Kyle Rodgers

13 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

The 747 is a complex aircraft. Our simulation of it is similarly complex, and definitely requires some self-study to learn how to properly operate it. We have provided some resources for you, along with the aircraft.

Please ensure you follow the tutorial, and read this thread:

Additionally, full names - first and last - are required here in the forum.

Thanks All.

9 hours ago, jon b said:

Sounds like you took off in Tank/Eng config by mistake?

regards Jon Bunting 

That’s what I thought too. If you don’t open up the crossfeeds in your preflight not only will you be configured for tank to engine, but you will never get the FUEL TANK/ENG message therefore even if you have the sim setup to auto configure it’s never going to happen. There will also be no message displayed prior to departure to warn you of this configuration error and if all pumps are on nothing on the overhead will light up. The end result is that you will come back to your sim eventually with engines 1 and 4 flamed out due to fuel starvation. 

Edited by Jetlinker

20 hours ago, HarryTwine said:

Hi All.

Just got back to the flightdeck on a trans-atlantice route to find my 744 at 7000ft and close to stall speeds with only 2 engines live. 

Wondering whether PMDG model the minimum fuel temp, because thats all I got for the cause. If the temp goes below minimum then the fuel crystalises and blocks the fuel lines. 

This is the only reason I can think of as to why the aircraft failed to engines at that sort of altitude. 

Anybody know any more?

Thanks!!

That will teach you never to leave the Flight Deck with nobody there monitoring the ship - and to take more fuel next time! 

Seriously, if you had been there you would have seen plenty of clues well in advance of your two engines flaming out to warn you that something was amiss with your fuel configuration settings.  For example, you would have seen a >FUEL IMBAL message when the difference between tanks 1&4 compared to 2&3 exceeded 2,720Kgs; as well as FUEL QTY LOW and FUEL PRESS ENG & FUEL PUMP  EICAS messages as the fuel was used from your two outboard mains and long before engines 1 & 4 ran down.