Sign in to follow this  

Very Pricy Addons

8 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Gouging? Based off of what? Your own exclusive opinion?

It is my opinion. From a well seasoned mind. And there is nothing exclusive about! 😀

I paid $25 for the CS 757. No tax was added to the price.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 12/24/2018 at 8:49 AM, W2DR said:

Been to Disney World lately?  😊

Almost 35 years ago, has it gotten any better since then? :laugh:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Currently the iFly 747 is 5/21st the price of the main competition. That's less than a 1/4. I'm buying it and I rest my case!😀

24 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Currently the iFly 747 is 5/21st the price of the main competition. That's less than a 1/4. I'm buying it and I rest my case!😀

PMDG left a very sour taste in my mouth with the transition to P3D.  But like many others I was dumb enough to pay full price again plus the extra licensing crock of word not allowed that went along with it.  Then they totally abandoned the MD11.  Depending on how V5 pans out I am done with PMDG.  I love Boeings but like u said they still want $90 for the NGX!  PMDG needs to realize they are not the only king on the hill anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matt Wilson

Well also concerning Boeing aircraft and the price of addons. When I switched to X-plane 11 which I got on sale 🤣. I couldn't believe how awesome the Zibo mode for the 737NG was. Granted I am not getting to deep into systems but landing the Zibo mode in X-plane 11 gave me a far greater sense of flying. (After I gave X-Plane 11 a serious go I really had to eat my previous words about flight dynamics in a sim)

Anyway point being why would I spend $100 on something when I can get a free and according to many equally as good or even superior alternative.

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

Well also concerning Boeing aircraft and the price of addons. When I switched to X-plane 11 which I got on sale 🤣. I couldn't believe how awesome the Zibo mode for the 737NG was. Granted I am not getting to deep into systems but landing the Zibo mode in X-plane 11 gave me a far greater sense of flying. (After I gave X-Plane 11 a serious go I really had to eat my previous words about flight dynamics in a sim)

Anyway point being why would I spend $100 on something when I can get a free and according to many equally as good or even superior alternative.

Very good point.  The Zibo 737 is an absolute masterpiece and it’s free!  When Hifi comes out with there cloud art it is going to be very difficult to stay away from xp

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

PMDG B747-400 + 8i <$139.99 USD + $69,99 USD = $209,98 USD> (work as pilot) - iFly B747-400 + 8i <until Jan, 01 2019 $49,95 USD> (hobby as simmer)

PMDG is 4,20 times than iFly

The price difference is very high. Can we realize that difference just sitting in front of the computer ... I think we're a confusing hobby with work. I'm never going to fly a 747 myself why than I need to buy an almost same product to high cost. I think I'll prefer hobby's a lot cheaper.

• Upvote 2

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Currently flying a few weeks of VOR to VOR only navigation with the pmdg 737. All flights made using the MCP only none of that Lnav or Vnav allowed. . In between switching radials I'm reading the 400 page crew manual and applying my new knowledge during all phases of flight. The pdf manual on my left monitor matches the sim on my front one exactly. I say the price charged for the first copy of each of the PMDG aircraft is worth every cent for the hard work and attention to detail on display everywhere in today's world of disposable products released too early and never fixed. However charging full price again to use in a other very similar sim is pure theft and taking the pee. If we don't make a stand for what we believe we deserve all we get. I'd love P3D and it would be a dream on my system. I could afford any edition I want but I will never buy it simply because of the reasons I am not allowed to discuss here. FSX is freedom of the skies for me in every way and add-ons fairly priced for what you get. 

Edited by sloppysmusic
Auto spell

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 12/24/2018 at 6:23 PM, scianoir said:

Another company that has perfected gouging!

Bill

Disney's policy is to never close admissions to a theme park due to overcrowding. They are using ticket prices as a form of crowd control. Prices are increased until a point is reached where, at a given level of sales, the maximum number of allowed daily tickets is reached. As long as folks are willing to pay that price for a purely optional experience there is no "gouging" involved.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Ever wonder how much Disney World prices have increased been since the opening? Mind blowing.....but still not "gouging":  https://www.gobankingrates.com/saving-money/entertainment/how-much-disney-world-cost-year-born/

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Disney has no reservations at all concerning closing the gates when the parks are overcrowded.  This has happened numerous times that I know of. I'm speaking of Disney World and Epcot  and Animal Kingdom. 

However,  their prices have gotten too rich for my blood now.  I was an annual pass holder for years but it eventually got too rich for me. 

But on the topic of sim addons,  I personally would never pay anything approaching 200 for any whether scenery  , utility, or aircraft. But I won't say the vendors are ripping anyone off either.  The choice to purchase at the market price is up to each person.  Too much,  don't buy.  Easy. If this happens enough  vendors will correct their prices or cease operations.  Economics 101.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

10 hours ago, W2DR said:

As long as folks are willing to pay that price for a purely optional experience there is no "gouging" involved.

‘Gouging’ is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as “the action or practice of increasing prices sharply, especially to take advantage of high demand”. On the basis of this definition one could therefore say that both Disney and some flightsim developers are actually ‘gouging’ although clearly the boundary between a reasonable price increase for a commodity and gouging is somewhat blurred and open to individual interpretation.

Judging from your avatar W2DR, you are a Disney fan and I would have considered myself one too having made numerous (transatlantic) fun visits to Disney theme parks in Orlando and Anaheim since the mid 1990s when my kids were young. However the price of entry over the years has outstripped inflation by a considerable extent and the cost of meals and drinks in the parks has always exceeded the cost of similar purchases outside the park by multiples! As you say these are purely optional experiences so whether the term ‘gouging’ should be applied to them is debatable but, although I was fortunate enough not to have to worry about the cost of these trips and enjoyed them very much, these pricing policies always left a slightly bad taste in my mouth. To be fair to Disney they are not alone in their pricing with similar policies being evident with other theme park operators such as Universal. 

I suppose pricing in a free and open economy will always be dependant on supply and demand but whether it is the area of theme parks, flightsim addons or something else, paying what one considers as ‘over the odds’ for a commodity will always feel slightly unfair to some of us.

Bill

10 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Disney has no reservations at all concerning closing the gates when the parks are overcrowded.  This has happened numerous times that I know of. I'm speaking of Disney World and Epcot  and Animal Kingdom. 

However,  their prices have gotten too rich for my blood now.  I was an annual pass holder for years but it eventually got too rich for me. 

But on the topic of sim addons,  I personally would never pay anything approaching 200 for any whether scenery  , utility, or aircraft. But I won't say the vendors are ripping anyone off either.  The choice to purchase at the market price is up to each person.  Too much,  don't buy.  Easy. If this happens enough  vendors will correct their prices or cease operations.  Economics 101.

Very true. I've seen the parks closed also. But it's rare and not something that Disney does willingly. Like you, I had annual passes for almost 15 years but finally gave them up. We live about 45 minutes from the parks and went frequently. I didn't give up the passes because of the costs but after you've been there 200-300 times the experience just isn't the same 😃..........Doug

To throw my thoughts in the hat I think the P3D sim is very expensive at $199.  It is based off of FSX and Microsoft updated their FS products about once every 2 years and charged less than $75.  It is only the basic engine for which the other addons use.  What makes it so special they have to charge $199?  I realize that academics can purchase it for about $50 but that sounds like a fair price for everyone.  X-Plane is not that expensive and FSX Steam Edition is ridiculously low too.  I would like to see LM reduce the price to no higher than $80 for everyone which I think is very fair and would bring in many more buyers as it would be more competitive in the markets.  I do not know how they calculated the pricing but the $199 is obscene. 

They also charge a large sum of money for developers.  As everyone knows, developers and corporations do not lose money.  You raise their taxes, they will increase the price of the product they are selling.  You raise the price of development to a particular sim, the developer will raise his/her price so profits will not be lost.  So, if LM brought down the price for consumers and developers, everything would be a little cheaper.

I do believe those talented individuals who have the capability of developing creative products should be paid for their efforts but pricing has gotten a bit out of hand IMHO.

• Like 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10