Sign in to follow this  

Very Pricy Addons

49 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The cost of a two-copy developer license for P3D is just $10/month.  The really big costs if you want to develop commercially are for labor and also for third-party tools...try pricing an annual subscription to the 3DS Max modelling software, for example.  $10/month doesn't even rise to noise-level in comparison to payroll for even just a couple of capable software engineers, 3D modellers, computer graphics artists, etc.

I suspect I was looking at the $2300 developer's license.  I thought the Developer Pro product was more than $9.95 a month.  So I was off there but I still cannot understand the $199 every two years price.  Now I have been paying that much and, like you, easily spend well over $1000 a year to upgrade and buy new products.  Like you I can handle that but there are many in the world who cannot and I would like to see the base engine a little cheaper than $199 every two years.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

I can't say who, but I understand it was very much a statistically (and financially!) significant cut.

Fair enough - could you at least say what kind of software it was (aircraft, scenery, utility) and the rough price point? I'm curious.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Reading all that two things caught my eye.

10 hours ago, Luke said:

economics has no morals

I agree with this but my take on it might be a bit different. Once might say that economic is amoral. That's a bit euphemistic. In my book amoral and immoral are synonymous so I see that as supporting my thesis.

8 hours ago, skelsey said:

or there are rather more unscrupulous people out there than all of us would like to think 😞

There are more unscrupulous people out there than all of us would like to think. And they are not only the makers, they are the buyers too! This is the way it has always been and there have been periods and places in history where it been more or less prevalent. I think we currently live in relatively amoral age 😉

Don't get me wrong I know everyone has to make a living and certainly many of the products I refer too are quality products and I am not advocating cheap low quality products. I am however sure that among all the legitimate factors alluded to in this thread for arriving at the retail price of any item there is also the behind closed doors wink wink nudge nudge factor. My father often said to me "You know what they say about a fool and his money!" I glad he eventually managed to dumb that into me! LOL!

So you know this is going on. It's obvious. All you have to do is look at a McDonalds Big Mac add.

I always thought the terms of the LM licensing contract with MS prohibits them from entering the "entertainment" market.....

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Gasp...They said the L word, LM and entertainment in the same sentence. 😉

18 hours ago, Avidean said:

In my book amoral and immoral are synonymous so I see that as supporting my thesis.

amoral/ immoral. Both have to do with right and wrong, but amoral means having no sense of either, like a fish, but the evil immoral describes someone who knows the difference, doesn't care, and says "mwah ha ha" while twirling a mustache. If you call someone immoral, you are saying that person knows better.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

amoral/ immoral. Both have to do with right and wrong, but amoral means having no sense of either, like a fish, but the evil immoral describes someone who knows the difference, doesn't care, and says "mwah ha ha" while twirling a mustache. If you call someone immoral, you are saying that person knows better.

Far enough Father. I'll qualify what I said. In the context of human activity which is what economic is you could describe the individual who allegedly doesn't know the difference between right and wrong as amoral i.e. without morals. It's hard to believe that the people who pull the levers of power in successful businesses don't know the differences between right and wrong or could offer that as an excuse.

I ran owned and service business for 15 years. There where ups and downs. In the heyday I had 20 employees and my philosophy the way I ran the business was win/win/win. i.e. I had to win, the employees had to win and the customers had to win. Our company mantra was "raising the expectations we meet and meeting the expectations we raise." The industry has a large rouge element and it was hard to persuade potential customers that the alternative quotes that got were fairy tales.

My older brother (a successful economist in London) once told to me statistically you are far more likely to do well or very well in terms of making money by over promising and under delivering. I'm no saint but that does not and never has set well with me.

If It did, to the degree that it did I would then have to describe myself as "someone who knows the difference, doesn't care, and says "mwah ha ha" while twirling a mustache." And it would be immoral because I coudn't say I didn't know better.

I definitely wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush but I am sure there is a lot of laughing on the way to the bank going on.

Edited by Guest