Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Seen some positive things recently.... time for a new build?

Seems like its an every few month question for me.... is it time to build a new system? With good results from the i9-9900k and the RTX2080TI, I am starting to think about it again. 

P3D is my main focus. I also do other gaming but I would build a system geared toward P3D. 

Power supply and HDD would carry over. Would plan on getting a new case. 

Budget is around $3k max but ideally closer to $2k. 

Would a new build be worth it? 

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

8 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Seems like its an every few month question for me.... is it time to build a new system? With good results from the i9-9900k and the RTX2080TI, I am starting to think about it again. 

P3D is my main focus. I also do other gaming but I would build a system geared toward P3D. 

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

I have the exact same set up as you with a 32inch 4K gsync monitor.  I’m going to plug in a 2080 Ti next week and see where it gets me.

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

4 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Current setup:

i7 6700k 4.5 Ghz OC

GTX 1080

Asus Z170 Deluxe

64GB 3200 mhz

I went from a 7700k, 1080ti SLI to a 9700k, 2080ti and feel the upgrade was beneficial.  Do not waste money on the 9900k.  Go with a 9600k or 9700k.  If u fly in very complex scenery go for the 9700k.  The extra two cores will help with scenery loading.

Matt Wilson

I would get the 9900K. I would not waste money on old technology such as a 9700K, especially if you plan on getting a 2080ti. Read the reviews.

My new build has a 9900K matched up with a 2080ti and it really is amazing!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 hour ago, Pugilist2 said:

I would get the 9900K. I would not waste money on old technology such as a 9700K, especially if you plan on getting a 2080ti. Read the reviews.

My new build has a 9900K matched up with a 2080ti and it really is amazing!

9700K old technology??  I’d love to hear your reasoning on that claim.

Matt Wilson

If I see correctly, the price difference between the two is a little over 100 bucks. If you have enough money to spend on 2080TI and 9700K, I doubt you'll have troubles for another 100 bucks. It's little faster, and has more L3 cache. I see no reason for getting 9700K.

8 hours ago, SimonC said:

If I see correctly, the price difference between the two is a little over 100 bucks. If you have enough money to spend on 2080TI and 9700K, I doubt you'll have troubles for another 100 bucks. It's little faster, and has more L3 cache. I see no reason for getting 9700K.

$150 difference on NewEgg.  I believe that most users will disable HT for a max overclock.  Would like to hear opinions on this.  I don’t see the L3 cache amounting to anything measurable in P3D.  If u have unlimited funds ya go for the 9900K.  But if u don’t I would invest in faster memory.

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

But if u don’t I would invest in faster memory.

Well, since we are nitpicking, I'd bet that 100Mhz more on the 9900K will yield more FPS than $150 faster memory.

Edited by SimonC

3 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Well, I'd bet that 100Mhz more on the 9900K will yield more FPS than $150 faster memory.

The are way to many variables in that statement to say what the FPS improvements would be.  Not saying u are wrong but it all depends if u get a good chip or not.  I tested the 9600K at 4.9ghz and the 9700K at 5.0ghz.  The only reason I went with the 9700K in the end was the smoother scenery loading.  The cores in the 9600K would see 100% usage spikes in complex scenery.  I have yet to see that issue with the 9700K.  I saw no measurable difference in FPS between the two chips.  If that extra $150 is worth maybe 0-2 FPS then go for it.

Matt Wilson

0-2 FPS on how high the FPS? 10, 100, 200? To be precise one would have to talk percentage really.

I only wanted to point out that $150 more on the memory means most likely 0, and I really mean zero improvement on anything. While CPU will most likely see (little) improvement, of course only if you manage to max it out. I have a 6700K still, so I have no problems maxing out the CPU, but I can't imagine that you can't max out 9900K.

23 minutes ago, SimonC said:

0-2 FPS on how high the FPS? 10, 100, 200? To be precise one would have to talk percentage really.

I only wanted to point out that $150 more on the memory means most likely 0, and I really mean zero improvement on anything. While CPU will most likely see (little) improvement, of course only if you manage to max it out. I have a 6700K still, so I have no problems maxing out the CPU, but I can't imagine that you can't max out 9900K.

0-2 frames when limited to 30 FPS.  Memory speed does help.  It is noticeable to me anyways.  I do understand your point but I’m looking at it from a value standpoint.  I would bet if u had a good 9600K it would offer almost identical performance to the 9900K in P3D.  I bought my 9600K for $230.  A 9900K cost $550.

Matt Wilson

12 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

I bought my 9600K for $230.  A 9900K cost $550.

I thought we are talking about 9700K? In any case, I wasn't talking value, but rather high performance. And it's a common thing that the last few ounces of performance usually cost overproportionally more.

And since the budget is $3000, ideally about $2000, I think the decision comes down at what you want to pay and is it worth to you.

And one another thing: if he doesn't need 64GB of RAM for something else, it's really not necessary to go above 32GB. Save money on that. Or get a mainboard with only features that you need.

Edited by SimonC

18 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I thought we are talking about 9700K? In any case, I wasn't talking value, but rather high performance. And it's a common thing that the last few ounces of performance usually cost overproportionally more.

And since the budget is $3000, ideally about $2000, I think the decision comes down at what you want to pay and is it worth to you.

And one another thing: if he doesn't need 64GB of RAM for something else, it's really not necessary to go above 32GB. Save money on that. Or get a mainboard with only features that you need.

I commented on the 9600K just to put into perspective that a cpu at almost half the price of a 9900K would offer near the same performance IMO.  Just throwing that out there in case it might be beneficial to someone on a more strict budget. That is assuming u had to disable HT to reach a good over clock on the 9900K.  My 7700K with HT enabled did result in faster texture loading.  But from my experience with the 9700K I'm thinking the 9900K with HT enabled would reach its thermal limits before u reach an acceptable over clock.  I agree that 64GB of ram is overkill unless like u said he is running other applications that require it.  32GB is a good number that should also cover XP11 with Ortho. 

Matt Wilson

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a 9900k and 2080ti are the ticket.  Is there anything on the horizon that would make it worth waiting another 3-6 months?