Sign in to follow this  
777-Pilot

Performance drops along "magic line"

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a very weird issue in multiple sceneries with my P3D V4.4 installation right now: I am happy with my overall performance, however my FPS drops by about 30-40% repeatedly when crossing a "magic line" in the scenery. When I go back over this line, my frames go back to normal. This happens no matter whether an airport scenery is installed or not. I have recorded a few videos to demonstrate my problem.

Do you have any ideas, what could cause this?

Edited by 777-Pilot

I did some more research and found that when crossing this "magic line" the GPU Power consumption drops aprubtly (see video below). Maybe someone has an idea what coukd cause the power consumption to drop? I am using an RTX 2080

Edited by 777-Pilot

under nvidia settings "Manage 3D Settings" --> "Power Management Mode" -- is yours set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" ?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I would say most likely is that "line" is simply where you happen to be entering the LOD radius of a large group of objects. That whole area around London is insanely packed with objects (airports, buildings, AI, etc) and is probably the hardest-hitting in the whole sim.

The GPU utilization drop is probably because entering that LOD pushing your CPU even harder, thus "relaxing" your GPU a little.

It's an interesting observation as I see a repeatable stutter just after takeoff everytime from 35R at YMMB regardless of aircraft or sceneries - add ons or default, and I have an i7-9700K with a 1080ti and 16gb RAM.

David Porrett

Have you installed FTX Global, EuropeLC,and similar stuff ?

In my experience, flyng around UK is almost impossible in that case....

Maurizio

spacer.png   Como (Italy )   www.sim737ng.it

I9-13900kf-Asusz790-32GB GSkill-Rtx4080-MSFS/P3Dv6-3xBenq1080ST-Win10-Prosim3.26-AS-Envtex-Envshade-Orbx basepack,OpenLC Europe-CPFlight hardware-RSP TQ-Always on Vatsim

banner2.jpg

Merry Christmas! Thanks for all your answers.

I have installed FTX Global, Vector and EU LC.

I already tried to increase my LOD setting to ultra (when doing that the position of the line should shift in theory - since I should then be inside the critical area and not just at the edge) but nothing happened. I also disabled all Vector entries in the scenery library - nothing happened aswell. Btw, the line seems to stretch way beyond the airport are: 

In my opinion, the GPU is the issue. Something is telling the GPU that it is not needed on the "bad side" of the line. As soon as I cross it again, the GPU usage increases. In this video, note how the GPU is at highest clock speed in the good side and immediately throttles wehn on the bad side:

Here is another video from Budapest. The problem obviously is independent of the used aircraft and seems to also be independent from whether you are at an airport or not. If the line happens to cross airport scenery you will notice it, if not you have no FPS problems.

I found the solution: The FPS drop is caused by the freeware night lighting tool SlimLights by Rainer Kunst. I deactivated it in the scenery library and now everything works fine. It is a great program, but seems to cause some problems in certain circumstances. I will contact Rainer to see whether he can find a solution.