Sign in to follow this  
Starlifter60

Opinions on P3Dv4 Hardware Upgrade

Good morning all,

I'm seeking opinions from those who know a lot more than I do about P3Dv4 performance and what a good upgrade might look like on my current system to improve FPS and general smoothness. I'm "fairly" content for the money I've spent but I'd like to see a bit less stuttering to be able to open up the throttle on P3d visual settings a bit more.  What do you think would be the best thing to upgrade without buying a new rig?

-i7 7700 3.6GHz, no overclocking
-16G RAM
-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM
-Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Current build

-P3Dv4.4
-ORBX Global Base, Vector, LC North America
-F1 GTN 750
-F1 B200
-Carenado, C90 GTX, Phenom 300, Citation CJ2 and Citation II
-Ultimate Traffic Live
-Active Sky P3Dv4, Build 6909

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Brian

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

14 minutes ago, Starlifter60 said:

Good morning all,

I'm seeking opinions from those who know a lot more than I do about P3Dv4 performance and what a good upgrade might look like on my current system to improve FPS and general smoothness. I'm "fairly" content for the money I've spent but I'd like to see a bit less stuttering to be able to open up the throttle on P3d visual settings a bit more.  What do you think would be the best thing to upgrade without buying a new rig?

-i7 7700 3.6GHz, no overclocking
-16G RAM
-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM
-Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Current build

-P3Dv4.4
-ORBX Global Base, Vector, LC North America
-F1 GTN 750
-F1 B200
-Carenado, C90 GTX, Phenom 300, Citation CJ2 and Citation II
-Ultimate Traffic Live
-Active Sky P3Dv4, Build 6909

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Brian

Have u thought about over clocking your 7700? Is it the K model?  What is your upgrade budget?

Matt Wilson

17 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Have u thought about over clocking your 7700? Is it the K model?  What is your upgrade budget?

The spec program I use says it's a Kaby Lake,is that it? I've always been a little shy about over clocking but have never tried it. Budget wise, I'd be willing to buy a new card but probably no more than $500

Brian MacMillan

I would opt for 8700K if money is tight and you don't plan to OC.  But be aware, you can achieve 50% performance increase with a good "stable" OC setup ... there is lots of "bang for buck" value there.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes but it should either be a 7700 or 7700K.  The K model is unlocked for overclocking.  I would overclock first and see if you are satisfied.  But also remember your 1070 with only 4gb will be very limiting when it comes to visual options.  With a budget of $500  I would overclock the 7700 if it is the unlocked model and upgrade the GPU to something with at least 8gb VRAM.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

8700K, 16/32gb fast ram, overclock it, see if you can stretch to a 1080ti...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Thank you guys for the great advice. Guess it's time to read up on over clocking. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Brian

Brian MacMillan

1 hour ago, Starlifter60 said:

Thank you guys for the great advice. Guess it's time to read up on over clocking. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Brian

What motherboard do you have?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

8700K, 16/32gb fast ram, overclock it, see if you can stretch to a 1080ti...

I believe he said his budget was $500.  I also don’t see any point in buying a 1080ti over the 2080 at this point in time.

Matt Wilson

Definitely go for the OC.  A high OC is the holy grail for a flight sim.  I'm sitting on my 7700k for a while yet since it has a multiplier of 51 or 5.1 GHZ.  You want 5.1 or better on ANY processor but the Kaby Lake processors (what you have) is a good starting point.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

34 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I believe he said his budget was $500.  I also don’t see any point in buying a 1080ti over the 2080 at this point in time.

Consider second hand parts? The OP may not be able to stretch his budget but I offered that as a consideration as I agreed with an earlier poster that the GPU originally posited probably would be less than satisfactory... :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Consider second hand parts? The OP may not be able to stretch his budget but I offered that as a consideration as I agreed with an earlier poster that the GPU originally posited probably would be less than satisfactory... 🙂

True there are a lot of used 1080ti’s out there.  Used PC parts is a gamble though.  I sold a fellow avsim member my 1080ti.  It was a very low use card, never overclocked, and never had one issue with it.  The gentleman received the card and within a week had issues with it.  Had to RMA to Gigabyte.  Thank god it was still under warranty.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

14 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM

This is hardly possible. Either you have some mis-information there and in reality, you have 8GB VRAM on this 1070 or somebody sold you a fake graphics card...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

This is hardly possible. Either you have some mis-information there and in reality, you have 8GB VRAM on this 1070 or somebody sold you a fake graphics card...

According to my Speccy app, it has 4095 MB of memory. Of course I could be reading that wrong. The card came with the system I bought

Brian MacMillan

19 hours ago, Mace said:

What motherboard do you have?

MSI B250M Bazooka

Brian MacMillan