Sign in to follow this  
Starlifter60

Opinions on P3Dv4 Hardware Upgrade

Speccy is almost certainly misreporting the amount of memory if it's a 1070.  Try running GPU-Z.

From the perspective that a well-balanced system gets you the best return on components, you already have a well-balanced--but unfortunately low performance--system.  Adding just a faster CPU, or just a faster GPU is going to make one part of the system outperform the rest, which is likely to yield underwhelming bang for the buck.  That said, if a new high(er) performance system is out of the question, I think GPU would be where I'd start, because that can be transplanted over to an upgraded overclocked motherboard/CPU/RAM configuration later.  Ultimately, though, you need both a fast CPU and graphics card to get the most out of a flight sim.

Nice avatar.  I was an IP in the 53rd MAS at Norton around a million years ago.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

38 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Speccy is almost certainly misreporting the amount of memory if it's a 1070.  Try running GPU-Z.

From the perspective that a well-balanced system gets you the best return on components, you already have a well-balanced--but unfortunately low performance--system.  Adding just a faster CPU, or just a faster GPU is going to make one part of the system outperform the rest, which is likely to yield underwhelming bang for the buck.  That said, if a new high(er) performance system is out of the question, I think GPU would be where I'd start, because that can be transplanted over to an upgraded overclocked motherboard/CPU/RAM configuration later.  Ultimately, though, you need both a fast CPU and graphics card to get the most out of a flight sim.

Nice avatar.  I was an IP in the 53rd MAS at Norton around a million years ago.

Regards

Thanks for the advice. I'm "ok" with the performance I'm getting on P3D but just ok. I know there's no magic bullet other than a large expense (but divorce is way more expensive 🙂 ). 

I built TF-33P7s in Norton's back shop from 86-89. Loved that cranky old beast compared to some of the newer power plants I worked in later years

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

10 hours ago, AnkH said:

This is hardly possible. Either you have some mis-information there and in reality, you have 8GB VRAM on this 1070 or somebody sold you a fake graphics card...

I stand corrected...it is an 8G card. My apologies. Deleting Speccy....

Brian MacMillan

4 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

MSI B250M Bazooka

That makes sense.  I wasn't thinking, when I asked what the motherboard was.  The B250 chipset doesn't support overclocking, and that is logical since the system has the locked 7700.  Duh.

You /could/ upgrade the vidcard now, and take it with you on a new build.  I think if it were me I would save the money until I could re-work the entire build though.  That's how I like to operate, anyway.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

We got my 7700K running real nice at 4.9 GHz. Maybe could go higher but I guess I'm a bit conservative... :D

Make sure if you OC that you have good cooling for the CPU and case.

6 minutes ago, Mace said:

That makes sense.  I wasn't thinking, when I asked what the motherboard was.  The B250 chipset doesn't support overclocking, and that is logical since the system has the locked 7700.  Duh.

You /could/ upgrade the vidcard now, and take it with you on a new build.  I think if it were me I would save the money until I could re-work the entire build though.  That's how I like to operate, anyway.

Well, that's a bummer. But thanks

Brian MacMillan

Just now, Starlifter60 said:

Well, that's a bummer. But thanks

Well no think about it positively in this way.  I would use that time to research and spec out a new system, or at least get an idea about the hardware that worked best with the sim.  If you're talking 6 months away, that's great!  Today's top end will be tomorrow's high end.  Today's high end will be tomorrow's midrange.

Something will be right in your budget wheelhouse.

You will end up doing that anyway (specing out a new sys), if you decide to get a vid card now.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Buffy Foster said:

We got my 7700K running real nice at 4.9 GHz. Maybe could go higher but I guess I'm a bit conservative... 😄

Make sure if you OC that you have good cooling for the CPU and case.

All 7700Ks should go 5.1 ghz out-of-the-box.  Set your core voltage at 1.4vcc.  Don't worry about blowing the thing up - you will be upgrading within the next 5 years.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Oh, I used the BIOS OC tool, not fiddled with individual settings that I don't really understand. :D

I'll try when Dad has some time to help me with it, so thanks for the info and Merry Christmas! :)

4 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

I stand corrected...it is an 8G card. My apologies. Deleting Speccy....

Since that card is 8gb I think your locked 7700 is really going to hold u back even if u did upgrade your GPU.

For a $500 budget look into a z390 mobo and a 9600K.  I upgraded from a 5ghz 7700K to a 4.9ghz 9600K and had a pretty noticeable improvement.  Very small gain in FPS but scenery and texture loading were much improved.

Matt Wilson

6 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Since that card is 8gb I think your locked 7700 is really going to hold u back even if u did upgrade your GPU.

For a $500 budget look into a z390 mobo and a 9600K.  I upgraded from a 5ghz 7700K to a 4.9ghz 9600K and had a pretty noticeable improvement.  Very small gain in FPS but scenery and texture loading were much improved.

Do you need different RAM, too?

34 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

All 7700Ks should go 5.1 ghz out-of-the-box.  Set your core voltage at 1.4vcc.  Don't worry about blowing the thing up - you will be upgrading within the next 5 years.

Cheers
bs

That’s very bad advice.  If that chip hasn’t been delidded I do not see it lasting more then a year at those settings.  And no not all 7700K’s will reliably run at 5.1ghz

Matt Wilson

3 minutes ago, Buffy Foster said:

Do you need different RAM, too?

Technically no.  What is the current RAM?

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Technically no.  What is the current RAM?

IDK, I was asking for the OP.  Prolly has DDR4?  Does the 9600K use it still? He didn't say what speed even, so it might end up being too slow?

On the OC idea, thanks; my 7700K isn't delidded so I better leave it be.  It runs real nice at 4.9.

What made a HUGE difference for me was putting an M.2 in for P3D to live on.  \o/

1 minute ago, Buffy Foster said:

IDK, I was asking for the OP.  Prolly has DDR4?  Does the 9600K use it still? He didn't say what speed even, so it might end up being too slow?

On the OC idea, thanks; my 7700K isn't delidded so I better leave it be.  It runs real nice at 4.9.

What made a HUGE difference for me was putting an M.2 in for P3D to live on.  \o/

Yes it will be DDR4.  My preferred memory is 3200mhz cl14.  U can go faster but the price really starts to climb.

I have a m2 for my OS and am quite happy with it.  P3D is on a normal SSD. What improvements did u see? Did u upgrade from a mechanical or SSD drive?

Matt Wilson