Sign in to follow this  
Graeme2812

Returning after 13 years!

So after having loitered on the outside of the flight sim world since last being involved in around 2005, I've decided it's time to return. The advances in graphics (Orbx for example) and aircraft (QW 787 for example) have enticed me back after all these years.

I've made the decision to go down the P3D route, and am now in the unenviable position of having to make the correct decisions with regards to hardware choice. 

I'd just like to say thank you very much to this community and it's contributors as they have been hugely helpful and informative for me. 🙂 

Here's hoping to a new sim in 2019!

No turn back! Run while you still can! Warn others not to come this way. It's to late for the rest us. Save yourself while you still can! 😫!!!!!

Edited by Guest

2080Ti, 8700K or 9900K, 32GB DDR4, Samsung 2TB EVO 970, 4K monitor ... I picked up a really cheap Samsung 7100 series 40" 4K for my test PC ($349 on sale)  ... took a little setup work for the monitor but manage to get very good image quality with it for P3D and XP11 and it will run at both 30Hz and 60Hz RGB full.

Cheers, Rob.

Save yourself! Run! Leave us here, we'll... only... slow... you... down...

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 hours ago, Avidean said:

No turn back! Run while you still can! Warn others not to come this way. It's to late for the rest us. Save yourself while you still can! 😫!!!!!

10 hours ago, Chock said:

Save yourself! Run! Leave us here, we'll... only... slow... you... down...

Pretty much.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just think what ELSE you could do with all that time and money...

As Chock and HiFlyer said... RUN!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Don't let the naysayers discourage you.  You can look forward to many hours of installing  uninstalling, troubleshooting,  scanning the forums for help and answers,  and driving yourself mad wondering if you made the right hardware choices. The plus is that during all this you will get to experience hours of the wonders of flight. 

A major accomplishment is that you are now at Avsim,  the greatest source for freeware and a community of like minded souls. 

Welcome aboard.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

19 hours ago, Graeme2812 said:

I've made the decision to go down the P3D route

OK, On a more serious note. I've considered what I might do if I was in your position but at the same time having the benefit of hindsight.

You cannot avoid building or buying a high performance PC however if I where in your shoes I would go the X-plane 11 route first. Out of the box X-plane 11 looks a hell of a lot better than P3D and there is some really high quality freeware. Scenery, Aircraft etc. Also its been my experience that it performs better.

Also, it might be worth considering looking at used second generation hardware because the cutting edge stuff has been outrageously priced in the last couple of years and is not really delivering much in improved performance for the investment.

I guess that P3D V5 is coming within the next couple of years and perhaps now is not a good time to spend a lot of money on Prepar3D addons because much of that stuff may not work in V5 without upgrade fees or even having to buy them all over again!

One last thing. You might want to take a look at Virtual Reality too. I have been considering this since the appearance of the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive but took the plunge recently on the Samsung Odyssey+. Its a different route than big 4K displays and has its own list of pros and cons but this is the route I am taking. There are visual quality issues but its getting better. IMO as far as immersion is concerned it completely wipes the floor with everything else.

Edited by Guest

If you live in the USA you may want to check out www.jetlinesystems.com - give them a call to at least get advice - they know flight sim PC's.  

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

IMO as far as immersion is concerned it completely wipes the floor with everything else.

Nothing can top the amazing immersion of XP11 with the lush green vegetation and landscape in the dead of the winter! 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

Booster? Go!

Retro? Go!

FIDO? Go!

Guidance? Go!

Surgeon? Go!

Control? Go!

Procedures? Go!

Expensive and massively overpowered PC barely capable of 10 fps in P3D with no graphics options turned on? Go!

Really expensive add-ons purchased? Go!

Tons of expensive hardware? Go!

48 hours spent installing stuff and somehow making it all work together? Go!

Wife/Spouse/Significant Other placated after they saw how much all this stuff costs? Go!

900 page PDF which is actually longer than the manual for the real aeroplane thoroughly studied? Go!

Additional info gleaned from forums and watching youtube videos? Go!

We are go for launch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Go!

Yes Go... For "The fun" of our passion...

uncredible results in actual p3dv4.4, go !

Actually in fairness, I've found FPS in P3D V4.4. to be quite good, but you know what us lot are like, the moment we see an FPS improvement, is the moment we think 'Now I can enable all that other stuff and slow it back down again!' 🤣

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

On 12/23/2018 at 6:55 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

2080Ti, 8700K or 9900K, 32GB DDR4, Samsung 2TB EVO 970, 4K monitor ......

Cheers, Rob.

That's the spec I have penciled in, except the 4K monitor as I'm hoping to go VR. Judging by other posts and my limited understanding of the hardware out there at the moment it's a challenge to spend wisely!

13 hours ago, Jetset408 said:

Just think what ELSE you could do with all that time and money...

As Chock and HiFlyer said... RUN!

FSX was my last Sim....it can't have gotten any worse surely?! 😂

8 hours ago, Avidean said:

.... I where in your shoes I would go the X-plane 11 route first. Out of the box X-plane 11 looks a hell of a lot better than P3D and there is some really high quality freeware. Scenery, Aircraft etc. Also its been my experience that it performs better.

Also, it might be worth considering looking at used second generation hardware because the cutting edge stuff has been outrageously priced in the last couple of years and is not really delivering much in improved performance for the investment.

I guess that P3D V5 is coming within the next couple of years and perhaps now is not a good time to spend a lot of money on Prepar3D addons because much of that stuff may not work in V5 without upgrade fees or even having to buy them all over again!

One last thing. You might want to take a look at Virtual Reality too....

VR is definitely on the future list. I've experienced it briefly through work (in a commercial environment) and I was impressed. A part of me does want to hold off for P3D v5 for the very reasons you have said.....hopefully v5 is released in 2019.

I had only briefly considered X-plane tbh. I will need to look at compatibility for addons etc. 

The current situation with Hardware in general is the big barrier at the moment!

9 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Don't let the naysayers discourage you.  You can look forward to many hours of installing  uninstalling, troubleshooting,  scanning the forums for help and answers,  and driving yourself mad wondering if you made the right hardware choices.

Hahaha. Made me chuckle!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire