Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Is REX Sky Force 3D worth it (for me, personally)?

I use ASP4 and REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds and am generally happy with it. Back when Sky Force was initially released I got the notion from reviews and the like that it wasn't really what it was promised to be in terms of revolutionizing the weather and atmosphere within the sim so I held off on buying it because I couldn't spot anything I didn't already have. Now that updates have been released I'm back to considering buying it but I'm still not sure. Mainly that's because I wouldn't even be using the weather engine as I'd definitely stick to ASP4 to do that part and that doesn't warrant the price for me, personally. The 30% sale over the holidays comes in handy though.

Are the 3D clouds really so much 3D? Do you actually see the difference and does it make it more realistic compared to REX4 2D textures?

Are the new clouds a noticeable improvement over REX4 clouds in general?

Does the 10-hour-cycle thingy add a substantial improvement to the simming experience?

Are the new textures and dawn/dusk skies noticeably better than what you get from REX4?

Thanks in advance to anyone bothering to read and answer!

(No idea if this is the right place to post this, feel free to move it elsewhere.)

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Hi Niklas and Season's Greetings,

only you can answer whether SF3D is worth it for you. As far as personal opinions go, my own experience with SF3D has been very positive. I also use AS as a Wx engine (disabling the built-in REX one - I am waiting for their next Wx engine iteration which is promised to be a separate product and much improved) and use the SF3D textures for my sky/clouds needs. Having used a similar combination in the past (AS + REX4HD + Soft Clouds) I can unequivocally say that, for me, the newer AS + SF3D combo is a winner.

Cheers!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Hello all and seasons greetings to all who celebrate Christmas,

Do we really need Rex4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds + Rex  Skyforce3D + ham and eggs for breakfast + + + in order to get really good cloud/weather coverage. I have just the REX Skyforce 3D and very little experience with P3Dv4 so I do not know if I am missing out on something which could be better.

Is having all three of these programmes  a somewhat overkill situation (read Great REX Marketing Skills) or does the Skyforce product replace everythiing. 

I also have to admit that I use REX for my WX engine as well but will replace that with Active Sky as soon as finances/War Office permit. I know it is Christmas but she is not that flexible LOL 

So, if someone could enlighten me I would be grateful.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I only use ASP4 & ASCA - no REX clouds at all.

My point is, what we are talking about is a purely VISUAL experience - what I like vs what you like vs what someone else likes may be totally different but for each of us it is fine.

1 If you are not satisifed with what you have, try something else, at worst you'll waste a few dollars, at best you'll find something you like..........until the next release  - then go to 1  and repeat.

Vic

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Do we really need Rex4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds + Rex  Skyforce3D + ham and eggs for breakfast + + + in order to get really good cloud/weather coverage. I have just the REX Skyforce 3D and very little experience with P3Dv4 so I do not know if I am missing out on something which could be better.

Is having all three of these programmes  a somewhat overkill situation (read Great REX Marketing Skills) or does the Skyforce product replace everythiing. 

I also have to admit that I use REX for my WX engine as well but will replace that with Active Sky as soon as finances/War Office permit. I know it is Christmas but she is not that flexible LOL 

So, if someone could enlighten me I would be grateful.

Regards

Tony

As I said, I use ASP4 as weather engine along with REX4 textures. Just two products. Now I'm wondering if it's worth to buy Sky Force to replace REX4, still only two products. These definitely suffice to be well covered in terms of weather.

45 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I only use ASP4 & ASCA - no REX clouds at all.

My point is, what we are talking about is a purely VISUAL experience - what I like vs what you like vs what someone else likes may be totally different but for each of us it is fine.

1 If you are not satisifed with what you have, try something else, at worst you'll waste a few dollars, at best you'll find something you like..........until the next release  - then go to 1  and repeat.

Vic

I agree on the subjectivity that inevitably comes with a matter like this. I'm not only talking about the purely visual experience though but also about whether the 3D clouds from Sky Force are actually more complex and advanced than 2D textures from REX4 - and actual 3D clouds. Overall, I'm hoping someone using Sky Force can tell me if there's more 'substance' to it technically to improve the weather system rather than just new, different looking textures.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Technically rex sf says its a weather generator too and you PAY for it. But its funny how nobody (well, maybe a couple people who don't know how good they could have it with Active Sky) seems to like/use that portion of the package - so there is a waste of money. When the price comes down to 5-10 dollars - then it may be worth it.👨‍⚖️

It should have just been a texture package, with a simple UI, and no invasive registration, then the price could have been cut to half or even a quarter of what it is. Maybe then there would not be so many questions about the value (worth it?) of sf. 👨‍🎓

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Niklas,

Now heres the thing (Linda in "Becker") you stated that you have " ASP4 and REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds" 

What I am querying is the need for TEX4 Texture + soft clouds. (two products to my knowledge)  and I do not know if those two are replaced by Skyforce3d or not. If they are not .... why?. Why can't we have a programme that incorporates all of that in a single product. If REX gets the REX4 Textures correct why do we need "soft clouds" and, what is the difference between normal, hard or soft clouds anyway?

Reading through the various topics created on this subject reveals very little for me.  Nearly all are in agreement that the REX product is the best textures for clouds but not for WX generation for which Active Sky take the crown for the time being.

AND, I say again, I have the Skyforce product with intentions of buying the Active Sky WX engine, but, I do not know whether this combination can be improved by the inclusion of Soft Clouds and/or REX4 Textures.  It just seems to me, that having to buy all three or more products make WX acquisition and display an expensive part of P3D realism.

Any answers would be apreciated

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

You will want REX4 Texture Direct for water & wave animations, runways/taxiways and airports (if you don't already have WorldWide Airports for the latter two).  You can uncheck the other categories in the settings.

You no longer need Soft Clouds since Sky Force replaces all cloud, sky, sun, and sound effects.

So to cover all your bases before Environment Force comes out, you need TD4 and SF.  WorldWide Airports is highly recommended to upgrade the default airports.  It is a pity they never updated the Enhanced Add-On Airports beyond the initial KSLC.  If you are getting SF you can ignore SC permanently.

The SF weather engine still stinks a year after release, but the clouds and environment are definitely improvements over TD4+SC.  I still use Active Sky Next for Steam (FSX:SE user here) and its weather engine is still better than Sky Force's.  I may get AS16 eventually to replace it if I don't change over to P3D v.4 instead.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

5 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello to you as well! And Merry Christmas from one who does celebrate the season in character!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I run these three: SF3D, AS, and ASCA. I find the AS weather engine is more stable, and my performance is much better using ASCA and AS along with SF3D, rather than letting SF3D do it all. 🙂

If you read my footnote profile you may understand why accurate weather is important to me.  The most superior results I have had with FSX have been with REX Essentials + Overdrive textures, and live weather from FS Global Real Weather.  With that combination I had accurate live weather and accurate cloud types at appropriate altitudes.  and I never recalled experiencing pauses as weather refreshed with that combination. A common complaint from users of other combinations.

Recently I began to experience unusually slow initial weather load times from FSGRW and decided to finally jump on the Active Sky 16 wagon.  I also found myself enticed by a promotional offer and updated my REX to Skyforce.  Both of my updates came about the same time.  I first tried the REX SF textures and weather engine and was not satisfied.  Honestly, I dd not log my experiences so I could later accurately review.  Just I was not satisfied. 

My recollection is that it was more due to the accuracy of winds aloft speed and direction, an issue I also had two or three years ago when trying out the weather engine in REX Essentials Plus OD.  So I selected my choice of seasonal REX SF textures and picked up AS16 as my new WX engine.  I am now experiencing what I will characterize as a performance issue and then "issues observed by a trained meteorologist".

Unlike with FSGRW, I am now experiencing short interruptions as AS16 updates my weather.  Not particularly bad, and more evident if I am in an external camera view, but it rings my bell about all the posts I have seen here by other users asking for weather engine advice by users wanting to avoid such pauses.

Then, in regard to cloud types and textures, I am finding unusual cloud types and textures at out of character altitudes.   There is just no way I should be seeing 5,000 ft level puffy cumulus clouds at 20,000 ft.  Or towering cumulus (TCU) with bases at 12.000 ft and tops at 20,000 plus.  TCU base levels are consistent with cumulus base levels.  Cloud bases at 12,000 or above are predominantly stratus or stratified clouds.

I am very disappointed at my recent updates and honestly do not know which to point the finger at.  Is it the textures from REX SF, or the weather generation from AS16?  Do not know.  Just not satisfied!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Frank, I like your photo better than your name and having got all my sexist remarks out of the way, I shall proceed.

Like you, I am also ex military ... Royal Australian Air Force ... Telegraphist and Signals Operator ... 21 years The only WX experience I had was getting hot, cold, wet or dry and in passing WX info to Military aircraft on the HF band.

As a direct result of my inexperience with WX Clouds being in the right place and in proper company etc mean little to me. What I have found annoying with SF3D is instances like this morning.  I fired up SF3D, noted YBCS had rain and then fired up P3Dv4 selected my beloved iFly 737 BBJ3 at Cairns gate 13 ... waited emmm, waited some more and eventually everything came up but YBCS had no rain. This sort of thing really annoys me as one part is correct but the next is not.  This is also my main reason for my decision to eventually go to Active SKY as it is happening constantly.

BFBullpup mentions Environment force which I have never heard of. Is this a future release of REX or some other developer. I have to say it would be nice for REX to come out with a fully, and I mean, fully functional product and one that works seamlessly. Any idea of the time frame for Env Force release???

For now though it will only be applicable to me if I have not yet purchased the Active Sky product.

Thanks again to all .. it really has been illuminating.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

BFBullpup mentions Environment force which I have never heard of. Is this a future release of REX or some other developer. I have to say it would be nice for REX to come out with a fully, and I mean, fully functional product and one that works seamlessly. Any idea of the time frame for Env Force release???

http://www.rexenvironmentforce.com/

It is supposed to replace Texture Direct's surface textures and apparently it has a new weather engine as well.  So you wouldn't need Texture Direct anymore.  I wouldn't hold my breath for an Active Sky-quality weather engine from REX.  The latter's textures are great, though.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

My philosophy is that if I own an addon that does a particular thing in the Sim to my satisfaction and another addons comes along that does more or leas the same thing. Perhaps slightly better or perhaps not. I'll stick to the addon I already have because that costs me nothing.

I have REX4, Soft Clouds and ASP4. I also have REX World Wide Airports HD. If I get board I'll just load a new random texture theme.

Edited by Guest