Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Is REX Sky Force 3D worth it (for me, personally)?

53 minutes ago, timest said:

Howard, all cloud models in Sky Force ARE actually modeled in a 3D program, hence '3D'. 

Hi Tim, hmm, you say modelled in a 3D program, that doesn't mean they are actually 3D clouds in the simulator(?) With the greatest respect Tim, I don't think anyone could give two monkeys how they were modelled, they are interested in what they see in the sim. My original question as to the clouds being actually 3D on the Rex forum, failed to enlighten me. I only base my opinion on what I see and what others have said, such as rpmcb on another forum:- I flew a couple flights with it, then uninstalled it. There is nothing "3D" about it. They're using decent res textures for towering cumulus/etc, but it's still flat. The misleading marketing around the term "3D" really bothers me. The "photoreal" texture approach is interesting, but in practice didn't blow me away. and desparoto from the same forum...  If you already have a texture addon it's not really worth it. the clouds aren't really 3D, they are still sprites just really good looking ones. Sky textures are really nice. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slag off the product, just my own opinion based on the information I have. You have produced some wonderful products for the simming community, of which I am one of your ardent supporters, some of the time Sky Force looks stunning, some of the time it looks very unconvincing and yes, they are not what I consider as being 3D clouds. This is just my own opinion.  If I am wrong, then I would withdraw my comments and apologise unreservedly, but I still stand by my own thoughts on Sky Force 😉  

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

30 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Tim, hmm, you say modelled in a 3D program, that doesn't mean they are actually 3D clouds in the simulator(?)

Clouds are rendered in-sim via the 3D cloud models, just like aircraft etc. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com