Sign in to follow this  
tasso1988

PC reboots while in sim

Hello, after replacing the AIO liquid cooler in the PC store my system started to reboot randomly without warning (Kernel 41 error) midflight in P3D v4 and sometimes during 3d Mark benchmarks. 
I have sent the PC back, the store tested it for 24 hours with AIDA 64 and there were no crashes, overheating, etc. They also run my 3D Mark software with no problems. They have also measured the PSU consumption at max load and advised that there was around 300-250 W headroom. 
After reinstalling the PC home the problem started to reoccur. 

Things already tried: 

1) Replaced pilot, power cable, tried different socket, tired running the PC in my friend's flat to exclude any external power network issues. 

2) Replaced stock NZXT cooler thermal paste with be quite! (it did help to make the reboots happen less frequently but didnt eliminate the problem completely). 

3) Tried to run the GPU in a friend's PC to see if it causes the problem. 

4) Removed EVGA powerlink from the GPU. 

5) Reset BIOS to factory defaults. 

6) Run AIDA 64 Professional for 8 hours - no throttling or reboots. 

My system specs are below: 

Seasonic Focus Plus 650W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply 
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 GAMING ICX
Samsung PM961 Polaris 512GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 SSD for games 
WD Green 120GB SSD for OS 
Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD 
NZXT X52 240mm Liquid Cooler 
MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Mini ITX Motherboard 
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

Kernel Power 41 error details: 

- System 

- Provider 

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4} 

EventID 41 

Version 6 

Level 1 

Task 63 

Opcode 0 

Keywords 0x8000400000000002 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime] 2018-12-23T17:41:03.095051900Z 

EventRecordID 9965 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID] 4 
[ ThreadID] 8 

Channel System 

Computer DESKTOP-IJ1V18D 

- Security 

[ UserID] S-1-5-18 

- EventData 

BugcheckCode 0 
BugcheckParameter1 0x0 
BugcheckParameter2 0x0 
BugcheckParameter3 0x0 
BugcheckParameter4 0x0 
SleepInProgress 0 
PowerButtonTimestamp 0 
BootAppStatus 0 
Checkpoint 0 
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false 
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0 
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0 
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false 
CheckpointStatus 0 

An event occuring immediately prior to Kernel-power 41 error:

File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2037‎-‎02‎-‎23T08:11:04.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2034‎-‎08‎-‎13T16:30:12.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager

Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) is healthy. No action is needed.

I would appreciate anyone's help to isolate the problem. 

PS:

Interestingly in the events finder I can see that the same error logged 3 times while the PC was in the store while unassumingly it was undergoing stress-testing (2 times at initial visit and 1 time when I sent it back for checking). The shop is quite reputable and they were assuring me they had no issues.

I would suspect the PSU.  If it is still under warranty, I would replace it.  I would also suggest a PSU of 750W or higher.  One should never skimp on power.  I have a 1000W PSU and that might be overdoing it but I want to have the power when I need it.  The PSU might work great under less stress but P3DV4 requires a lot of power especially if your settings are set to high or the system is overclocked (Yes.  I see you have it set to 4.2GHz which is the base for this CPU).  The other thing to check is your power settings and make sure they are at the default - Windows search box type control and look up in the menu for Control Panel.  Once open, click on System and Security and then Power Options. 

You might also want to check the guidance for this error at Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean

I'm trying to figure out which benchmark or stress test you are using with AIDA.  It should be one of the tests under the Tools tab.  I had one memory module that was bad and AIDA shutdown the test as soon as it found the issue. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I would suspect the PSU.  If it is still under warranty, I would replace it.  I would also suggest a PSU of 750W or higher.  One should never skimp on power.  I have a 1000W PSU and that might be overdoing it but I want to have the power when I need it.  The PSU might work great under less stress but P3DV4 requires a lot of power especially if your settings are set to high or the system is overclocked (Yes.  I see you have it set to 4.2GHz which is the base for this CPU).  The other thing to check is your power settings and make sure they are at the default - Windows search box type control and look up in the menu for Control Panel.  Once open, click on System and Security and then Power Options. 

You might also want to check the guidance for this error at Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean

I'm trying to figure out which benchmark or stress test you are using with AIDA.  It should be one of the tests under the Tools tab.  I had one memory module that was bad and AIDA shutdown the test as soon as it found the issue. 

Hello, thank you for advice! I am using  AIDA 64 system Stability Test under tools tab with all components boxes checked. The power setting in Windows is on high performance but I never had a problem with this before. Is it realistic to assume that the installation of  240mm NZXT X52 cooler insteadof 120mm Corsair H75 cooler to can affect the peak power consumption so badly provided that this is the only item they replaced in the system?  The P3D v4 reboots happen often when there is heavy rendering or re-renderng invloved - last time it happended after going out of overcast layer of clouds in PMDG 737 at around 8000 feet. Another time it happended when I tried to change night to day with the time preview slider.   

14 hours ago, tasso1988 said:

2) Replaced stock NZXT cooler thermal paste with be quite! (it did help to make the reboots happen less frequently but didnt eliminate the problem completely).

Hmmmmm... different thermal paste reduced the frequency of reboots.  It is possible that overheating of the CPU is at least a part of the problem if not the whole problem.

Reboots can also result from RAM and/or the CPU not getting sufficient and/or stable power.  A failing or over stressed power supply will also cause reboots.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

23 hours ago, stans said:

Hmmmmm... different thermal paste reduced the frequency of reboots.  It is possible that overheating of the CPU is at least a part of the problem if not the whole problem.

Reboots can also result from RAM and/or the CPU not getting sufficient and/or stable power.  A failing or over stressed power supply will also cause reboots.

I will try to source a reference PSU with at least 750W to check if this solves the issue.   

Update: I have cleared the CMOS with the reset button on the MB and so far the PC has not crashed a single time since then. Will continue testing but hope this is the fix. 

That was good to go back to default values as something might have gotten corrupted.  The AVSIM CTD Guide suggests resetting the BIOS when there are issues.  I hope this fixes your problem!  Thanks for returning with your solution.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Something corrupted or an unstable overclock setting.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.