Sign in to follow this  
signmanbob

Need Help With Maddog Elevator Problem

I use FSUIPC5 to set my  controllers and I've never had any problem with the MD80 until recently.

My Elevator is set correctly in FSUIPC5 and is moving the yoke in the VC correctly.

Now, when I'm taking-off and I pull back on the yoke to rotate, I can see the yoke in the virtual cockpit pull back equal to my hardware yoke, but it has no effect on the aircraft. The aircraft is trimmed correctly, yet it does not leave the runway unless I start trimming up. Once in the air, the nose just goes down like there is no control until the aircraft is heading straight for the ground.  The elevator trim works and will bring the nose of the aircraft back up, but then it starts heading for the ground again.

I have the hydraulics turned on, including the AUX, on takeoff, but I have no vertical control and the aircraft is completely unflyable.

It is like the elevators are locked and only the trim is working.

I know that it has to be something simple because it has always worked ok and I've loved flying this airplane.  I've owned a Maddog since they come out in FS9. This is a completely new problem for me.

I am not having this problem with other aircrafts which are also set the same way in FSUIPC5.

From looking at the outside view, it looks like the elevators are working ok.  I have the flaps set to 15 and I am pulling back on the yoke at 170kts, but the aircraft won't lift off unless I use the trim.  The weights are within the acceptable envelope on the Maddog Setup Manager and the long trim is set per the trim computer.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Bob

Thank you,

Bob

Are you using FS2Crew?  I've had this happen to me before but only when I forget to say "ready?" a the start of the takeoff roll.  I think it might be related to the FO takeoff mode that FS2Crew has.

Brian W

KPAE

1333698802_MaddogWontTake-off.thumb.jpg.

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Are you using FS2Crew?  I've had this happen to me before but only when I forget to say "ready?" a the start of the takeoff roll.  I think it might be related to the FO takeoff mode that FS2Crew has.

No.  I have it, but I just re-installed the MD80 along with the MD83 and 88, so I wanted to get everything working right before I installed FS2Crew.

It's crazy because I'm running down the runway at 170kts with my yoke pulled all the way back, flaps 15 and the long trim set correctly, and it's acting like the weight is not distributed right, but the weight is set according to the Maddog Setup Manager, within the envelope.

I thought the elevators were not working, but when I paused the sim right at rotate speed and looked outside, the elevators are turned all the way up like they are supposed to be.  At 170kts that front wheel should be doing a wheelie.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on then. All I can say is that I have had this exact same issue one or twice, and a "blip" of trim got thing working again.  I just assumed it was FS2Crew related but maybe it isn't.  It only happened to me a few times, and I haven't had the issue in a long time.

Brian W

KPAE

Pounds / Kilogram units selected correctly? Just tossing this out there...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

57 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Pounds / Kilogram units selected correctly? Just tossing this out there...

Yes. I have both the aircraft and the Maddog Manager set to pounds. That said, I'm going to double check that it is still set that way.

Thank you,

Bob

Yes, on the General tab of the Maddog Manager it shows "Lbs." and on the "Airline Options" tab, it shows "Cockpit Units = Lbs/InHg" . So both the Manager and aircraft are set to pounds.

Edited by signmanbob
Check Maddog Units

Do you have an 'Elevator Power On' on the annucator when pushing full forward? This should only be lit when pushing full forward. Also, do you load the aircraft through the MD80 Load Manager? After reading your email a second time, I'm sure a recall I had a similar issue many years ago but helpfully cannot recall the reason!

Paul

Edited by pedwards

Paul Edwards

48 minutes ago, pedwards said:

Do you have an 'Elevator Power On' on the annucator when pushing full forward? This should only be lit when pushing full forward. Also, do you load the aircraft through the MD80 Load Manager?

Paul, I'm going to have to check that annunciator message.  I do only load the aircraft through the Maddog Setup Manager.

Thank you,

Bob

On 11/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, JRBarrett said:

The Fail light flickering momentarily on advancing power levers can occasionally happen, but what I see is it coming on steady for about three seconds, (then going off) on every takeoff. 

I'll check that later today.  Thank you.

Oh my Gosh!! I believe I figured out what the problem was...I had an axis set to elevator trim that I forgot all about...DAH

I've been struggling with this problem for several weeks, and all the time I had an axis set to elevator trim that I had forgot about.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the Maddog three times.  I don't believe it!!! 😜

Thank you everyone for your help with this.  Sorry it was my bad.

Bob