Sign in to follow this  
dfeldman

Update Question

Yes; but i think you'll need to do client, then content, then scenery - all 3.

This is the guide I go by for doing my updates; it's real good.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/495199-updating-prepar3d-v4-using-the-update-component-installers/

And for fixing up your Orbx after:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522254-ftx-orbx-scenery-prepar3d-updating-reinstalling-troubleshooting/

Edited by Buffy Foster
typos :\

5 hours ago, dfeldman said:

Just wondering if I can update straight from 4.1 to 4.4 Client?

Just to clarify, Dave... the Client is the only component you need to update to bring your sim up to v4.4.  The other two components, Scenery and Content are optional, although recommended.  You can safely run your sim with the Client at v4.4 and the others at 4.1, or 4.2, or 4.3, or any combination.  By not updating Content or Scenery you will miss out on new or updated features they each contain, but again, they are optional.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

.  By not updating Content or Scenery you will miss out on new or updated features they each contain, but again, they are optional.

Hey Doug, what exactly is new and/or updated in the v 4.4 Scenery install...??

I did the content update, mainly to have PBR, but I would be curious to know what the scenery update has to offer.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Hey Doug, what exactly is new and/or updated in the v 4.4 Scenery install...??

Here's a cut & paste from the v4.4 Release Notes on Scenery changes:

- Fixed trench running through large areas in Iran.
- Added several representative military jets to AI traffic. These require military cargo/combat parking spaces to appear.
- Fix for specular value of bare desert that caused background globe to be brighter than generated textures.
- Golf courses can be layered on top of airport backgrounds.
- Added several new scenery objects including warehouses, wooden pallets, wooden shipping crates, and military tents.

Here's a link to the full release notes.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

6 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Here's a cut & paste from the v4.4 Release Notes on Scenery changes:

- Fixed trench running through large areas in Iran.
- Added several representative military jets to AI traffic. These require military cargo/combat parking spaces to appear.
- Fix for specular value of bare desert that caused background globe to be brighter than generated textures.
- Golf courses can be layered on top of airport backgrounds.
- Added several new scenery objects including warehouses, wooden pallets, wooden shipping crates, and military tents.

Thanks a bunch Doug.

I'm not sure I really need any of that, but I might do the scenery update at some point anyway.