Sign in to follow this  
marco1989

Hardware Upgrade Dynamic Lighting

Hi all,

With my P3D v4.4 I have quite bad performance with PMDG and Dynamic Lightning at Taxi2Gate EDDM or Justsim EDDL. 

I have the following system:

- 4k Monitor

- I7 8700k @5.2 Ghz

- ASUS 1080TI OC

- SSD and 32 GB of Ram

What do you think I need to upgrade?

Thanks and regards

Marco

I really don’t imagine there is much more to upgrade to help your performance. Only thing I can think of would be to lower your AA settings if you haven’t already.

3 minutes ago, marco1989 said:

I think of buying an additional GTX 1080TI for SLI Mode. You think that could help?

Yes that will help quite a bit but SLI has its share of problems.  U will need to put your pc in your freezer to keep the top GPU cool,  does not work with Realight, and finding a driver that plays well is next to impossible. That is my experience anyways.  My advice sell your 1080ti and put the money towards a 2080ti.  Trust me

Matt Wilson

25 minutes ago, marco1989 said:

Ok, do you recommend any specific model?

I ended up with a Gigabyte windforce but only because it was the cheapest I could find at the time.  If I had a preferred brand it would be EVGA.  The different models basically just have different fans and overclocks.  Go for the highest overclocked model that fits your budget.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

Ok so may I go with this one?

PNY GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI XLR8 GAMING OC, 11264 MB GDDR6

And do you think I get a noticeable FPS increase?

regards 

Marco

Going from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti won't be a huge jump in performance, but it should indeed be better... maybe 10%.  The price-to-performance curve doesn't really support the move, but money may not be an issue.  I went from a 1060 to a 2080Ti and my performance jumped 8.5 times, but the 1060 is way down in the minor leagues compared with a 1080Ti.  Of course, YMMV. 

Here's another thread here at Avsim discussing this issue.

• Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

Going from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti won't be a huge jump in performance, but it should indeed be better... maybe 10%.  The price-to-performance curve doesn't really support the move, but money may not be an issue.  I went from a 1060 to a 2080Ti and my performance jumped 8.5 times, but the 1060 is way down in the minor leagues compared with a 1080Ti.  Of course, YMMV. 

Here's another thread here at Avsim discussing this issue.

Everyone's mileage will vary but I have to disagree.  I am getting slightly better performance out of my single 2080ti then I was with dual 1080ti's in SLI.

Matt Wilson

4 hours ago, marco1989 said:

Ok so may I go with this one?

PNY GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI XLR8 GAMING OC, 11264 MB GDDR6

And do you think I get a noticeable FPS increase?

regards 

Marco

How long is the warranty period?  As far as FPS goes if u use dynamic lighting, SSAA, lots of shadows, HD clouds, fly in overcast conditions then yes will have a noticeable increase.  Going from a single 1080ti to a single 2080ti I was able to enable or increase these settings.  This is all at 4K resolution.

4 MSAA -> 4 SSAA and is some cases to 8 SSAA

1024 cloud textures -> 2048 HD

Dynamic lighting always enabled

Increased shadow quality and draw to max settings.  I also increased shadow resolution in the cfg

Enabled terrain, vegetation, and in some cases building shadows.

Matt Wilson

22 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Everyone's mileage will vary but I have to disagree.  I am getting slightly better performance out of my single 2080ti then I was with dual 1080ti's in SLI.

Congratz on your 1000th post, Matt! 

You very well may be right, but I haven't read anything here or elsewhere that shows a substantial performance increase when moving from a single 1080Ti to a single 2080Ti, all else remaining the same.  Do you have some test data you can share that shows a significant performance boost between a single 1080Ti and a single 2080Ti?  If so, I'd love to see it.  The other post I linked to here at Avsim (see above) would seem to indicate rather modest improvements.

BTW, no disrespect all all.  I completely respect your comments.  Just interested in real data if you have some to share.  Seems many simmers are interested in this topic.

Edit:  We cross-posted our comments, Matt.  I see your performance results. Would like to have seen apples to apples (same scenario with 1080Ti and 2080Ti) to see relative performance increase.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

10 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Congratz on your 1000th post, Matt! 

You very well may be right, but I haven't read anything here or elsewhere that shows a substantial performance increase when moving from a single 1080Ti to a single 2080Ti, all else remaining the same.  Do you have some test data you can share that shows a significant performance boost between a single 1080Ti and a single 2080Ti?  If so, I'd love to see it.  The other post I linked to here at Avsim (see above) would seem to indicate rather modest improvements.

BTW, no disrespect all all.  I completely respect your comments.  Just interested in real data if you have some to share.  Seems many simmers are interested in this topic.

Edit:  We cross-posted our comments, Matt.  I see your performance results. Would like to have seen apples to apples (same scenario with 1080Ti and 2080Ti) to see relative performance increase.

Wow 1000th post.  Thanks!  I did a lot of research on the 1080ti to 2080ti swap and honestly I wasn't impressed with what I read either.  That is why I initially went with dual 1080ti's first.  I was very happy with the increase in performance but there are way to many downsides to SLI and I abandoned it quite quickly.  So I decided to go the 2080ti route just to avoid the SLI issues and really wasn't expecting much increase over my single 1080ti.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  I don't have and data to back it up but Rob A did some pretty in depth testing not to long ago.  But I don't know if he did a direct 1080ti to 2080ti comparison. 

Matt Wilson

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

Wow 1000th post.  Thanks!  I did a lot of research on the 1080ti to 2080ti swap and honestly I wasn't impressed with what I read either.  That is why I initially went with dual 1080ti's first.  I was very happy with the increase in performance but there are way to many downsides to SLI and I abandoned it quite quickly.  So I decided to go the 2080ti route just to avoid the SLI issues and really wasn't expecting much increase over my single 1080ti.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  I don't have and data to back it up but Rob A did some pretty in depth testing not to long ago.  But I don't know if he did a direct 1080ti to 2080ti comparison. 

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that we're happy with our sim.  Sometimes turning the FPS counter off makes all the difference in the world.  Happy New Year, my friend.

Doug Miannay

3 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that we're happy with our sim.  Sometimes turning the FPS counter off makes all the difference in the world.  Happy New Year, my friend.

I just noticed your 2080ti listed in your sig.  What is your opinion with it?  Happy New Year to u as well!

Matt Wilson

8 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I just noticed your 2080ti listed in your sig.  What is your opinion with it?  Happy New Year to u as well!

I made the jump from a 1060 to the 2080Ti... and it is significant, to say the least.

I created a scenario with my 1060 at a favorite 3rd party airport with settings that I really wanted to run with (but knew I couldn't with the 1060), let it sit for 5 minutes and had an avg of 4.7 FPS.  I saved the scenario, uninstalled the 1060, installed the 2080Ti, flushed the cache, etc, loaded the saved scenario and got 40 FPS.  Needless to say, i'm a very happy camper!

Doug Miannay