Sign in to follow this  
marco1989

Hardware Upgrade Dynamic Lighting

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:03 AM, mpw8679 said:

Wow 1000th post.  Thanks!  I did a lot of research on the 1080ti to 2080ti swap and honestly I wasn't impressed with what I read either.  That is why I initially went with dual 1080ti's first.  I was very happy with the increase in performance but there are way to many downsides to SLI and I abandoned it quite quickly.  So I decided to go the 2080ti route just to avoid the SLI issues and really wasn't expecting much increase over my single 1080ti.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  I don't have and data to back it up but Rob A did some pretty in depth testing not to long ago.  But I don't know if he did a direct 1080ti to 2080ti comparison. 

Matt, could you elaborate more on why you decided not to use SLI anymore? What were the downsides? I currently have the 1080Ti (single) and was thinking of going SLI again (used to have 980Ti SLI) but it was always a hit or miss because of Nvidia drivers. I may just get the 2080Ti

Thanks in advance

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

On 12/27/2018 at 11:03 AM, mokeiko said:

Matt, could you elaborate more on why you decided not to use SLI anymore? What were the downsides? I currently have the 1080Ti (single) and was thinking of going SLI again (used to have 980Ti SLI) but it was always a hit or miss because of Nvidia drivers. I may just get the 2080Ti

Thanks in advance

I was having problems finding drivers that worked well.  I had constant sound static issues, Realight was a flickering nightmare, and the top card ran extremely hot.  Take my advice and avoid SLI.  Trust me

Matt Wilson

10 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I was having problems finding drivers that worked well.  I had constant sound static issues, Realight was a flickering nightmare, and the top card ran extremely hot.  Take my advice and avoid SLI.  Trust me

You're right about finding the right drivers, I had almost the same issues regarding flickering. It seems SLI works for some but not for me, probably something I missed in the settings. Looking for a 2080Ti now. Thanks. 

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

9 minutes ago, mokeiko said:

You're right about finding the right drivers, I had almost the same issues regarding flickering. It seems SLI works for some but not for me, probably something I missed in the settings. Looking for a 2080Ti now. Thanks. 

I highly doubt it was a missed setting.  I troubleshot for two days straight trying to resolve my issues with no success.  

Matt Wilson

4 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I highly doubt it was a missed setting.  I troubleshot for two days straight trying to resolve my issues with no success.  

I hear you. When I decided to do SLI with my 980Ti's, I was disheartened with the performance I got. I didn't see the smoothness some were getting (I actually loss some FPS too) but I think it was a driver issue, everyone's system is different. I thought things would be different now. 

Francisco Blas

Hey guys, 

I have not made any tests so far, but from my feelings the performance increased a lot. I am now able to turn on Dynamic Lightning, all Shadows and reflections and with a PMDG 747, Megaairport Frankfurt, UT Live and 4k resolution I am getting around 38 fps.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Marco

31 minutes ago, marco1989 said:

Hey guys, 

I have not made any tests so far, but from my feelings the performance increased a lot. I am now able to turn on Dynamic Lightning, all Shadows and reflections and with a PMDG 747, Megaairport Frankfurt, UT Live and 4k resolution I am getting around 38 fps.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Marco

Hi Marco, that means the upgrade from 1080Ti to the 2080Ti was meant to do what it was intended to do. Perhaps a small increase in FPS but more importantly being able to slide those settings up a notch or two. Congrats!

Francisco Blas

46 minutes ago, marco1989 said:

Hey guys, 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Marco

Awesome!  

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, marco1989 said:

Great to hear this!  It is a truly nice feeling when you make a hardware change that gives you much better performance.  Happy New Year!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64