Sign in to follow this  
lukejw20

Flythemaddogx question

Don't push the throttle to fully forward.... That's all I'll say.

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

As far as the 347 vs 467 thing, I believe Flightaware shows ground speed, whereas the plane shows air speed. Ground speed is often considerably higher than air speed due to a number of factors. Ground speed is useful for knowing how fast you will get there, but airspeed is useful for knowing if you are going to fall out of the sky. ;) 

@lukejw20 @eslader

347 in cruise?  Something is off.  I can't think of any aicraft up in the 30s doing 350KIAS in cruise.  Are you talking True Airspeed?  Make sure you have that turned off.  This will cause just about every addon aircraft I know do very odd things.

That being said. Once you transition to Mach (around FL270) the KIAS will steadily decrease while you maintain mach in cruise.

The Maddog is a very very complex aircraft to learn to operate properly.  It will take much more studying than just the tutorials and the manuals. Honestly to truley understand proper operation you should read up on High Altitude flight dynamics, swept swing aircraft handling, proper descent planning for high performance aircraft etc. Strap in it's a helluva ride.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Great purchase!  In time you'll come to love the Maddog!  The advice above is very good, I just wanted to add a few additional things.

In the coming months we'll be adding Shared Cockpit to the Maddog, and there is no better way to learn how to operate an MD-80 than flying with someone that really knows the aircraft.

Also, the very best place to get support for the Maddog is the Maddog forums.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Ok nevermind that. As I taxi, the plane is making engine shutdown noises with the engines still running

Make sure that your "CI" or cost index is set to a high number like 100 or more.  I think it is set to thirty something by default. Lower numbers are to save fuel and mean the aircraft will go slower.

Make sure that your fuel pumps are set properly.

Make sure that failures are off.  After you get experience flying it, you will want failures on, but you'll want to get good at flying it first.

The Maddog is among the absolute best aircraft for P3D and you will want to stay at it and master it.  It is a pleasure to fly.

4 hours ago, lukejw20 said:

Confirmed: I lost control because I ran out of fuel last night.

It sounded fuel related to me too.  That's why I said to check your fuel pump switch positions.

I suggest that you set up your flights in SimBrief

It's free.  Just register an account and go to the "Dispatch". There you can completely set up your flight and when you are done hit the "Generate OFP" button and then you will get a dispatch report that will tell you how much fuel to load for the flight.

If you scroll down on the page you will see the option to send the flight plan directly to the Leonardo MD80 to load in the FMC-CDU.

I start every flight with SimBrief.

I just completed a successful flight from ATL to IAD on the maddog. I just have one more question before I close this topic. Did I do something to make it skid on landing or was the runway just slippery?

You might have used your brakes too strongly, overheating them hence rendering them inefficient. Don't use the brakes straight from touchdown, use the thrust reversers, then when speed reaches around 80 kts you can start to apply light but precise braking.

Even better, if you have autobrake on your bird, use it and let it do its job 🙂

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

Ok one more question. How do I open the fwd service door and cargo doors? Shift E 2 and Shift E 3 do work but it is a pain most of the time because the main door will open and close continuously. Is there an easier way?

right click the attendant call button (overhead console) and select the "doors and stairways" option.