Sign in to follow this  
Radial9

LINDA or not??

Hi Folks! This is an introduction post and a request for a LINDA learning curve reality check.

I’m tearing my whole system down and putting in a new system over the next few months. My intent is to better utilize my new TM Warthog HOTAS and Throttle along with other hardware (noted below) in the new rig.

I’m of the understanding that LINDA can, and should be, used to program buttons (along with FSUIPC for control axis) on that new TM HOTAS and Throttle.

I ask as I came across a post from the originators of LINDA here that it is NOT intended to be used for GoFlight modules, which I now have 8 of. I see many references to other MCP EFIS hardware here.

But I’m thinking I should be learning LINDA as it can be quite useful programming my WH HOTAS and Throttle buttons with FSUIPC for all my aircraft. I should probably start with a much better knowledge of FSUIPC, which I can certainly do.

For the GoFlight modules I’m going to need to use PollyPot’s GIT. I can do that too.

So I’m thinking I should be doing all three… "Advanced" FSUIPC, LINDA and PollyPot GIT for the GoFlight modules. A bit overwhelming to think about now, but I have to start somewhere.

Am I on the right track here?  Thanks for any advice. I quite realize this is going to take years, not months…

Cheers,

Bob

• Upvote 1

Hi Bob

Your summary is pretty much spot on and there is not much I can add. LINDA is probably most useful for the range of aircraft specific modules available providing advanced functions to assign to your device buttons. LINDA does not handle GoFlight hardware as it is too expensive for us to purchase and add the necessary functionality. I can not say whether LINDA and PolyPot will work together. I will leave it to our users to promote LINDA to you.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

OK… making the LINDA plunge and commitment. I’m fairly learned in FSUIPC, have reread both standard and advanced manuals for FSUIPC a few times for a refresher. Have spent considerable time reading and rereading Brian’s beginning guide. I removed my FSUIPC ini file, now have a new one. Removed ALL button assignments in P3D controls. Have configured FSUIPC axes on my Thrustmaster Warthog, Throttle and Crosswind rudder pedals using the P3D default Carenado A36 Bonanza. They are all working fine. No looking back now!

Getting ready to download and install LINDA. First task after install: reading the manual.

I’m of the belief the first step is to use LINDA to assign all default FSX functions to the Bonanza.

Thought I would put this question out there now to get some direction. I guess I fall into one of those new users that may need to be “spoon fed” some of this, at least initially. Please rest assured I will read, study and limit request to what I can’t understand or need clarification on from the manuals and forum posts, most all of which I have recently read going back a few years.

Do I need to go through EVERY FSX default function and make sure it has an assignment on a joy stick or just a limit set? I’m thinking of course the control surfaces, trim, parking brakes and other “most used” controls. But what about battery, mags, avionics, fuel, views, lights etc.

I’m unsure what each LINDA downloadable module will cover and what it won’t as far as assignments.

If it helps I will mostly be flying the PDMG 737NGX, Q400, A2A V-tail Bonanza and at some point , maybe the DA62. I haven’t flown a default aircraft in years. Mafred Jahn’s DC3 will also get configured.

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by Radial9

Hi again Bob

It is recommended that you start LINDA with one of the default aircraft such as the Bonanza or Beechcraft 58. This allows you to confirm everything is installed correctly. Initial installation is to simply copy the downloaded and unzipped LINDA 3.0.9 into the /modules folder where FSUIPC resides. It is the contents of the LINDA 3.0.9 folder not the folder itself you need to copy (contains Linda.exe, linda.lua and the folders linda and Linda-cfg. You also need the latest FSUIPC 5.15 which needs to be licenced.

Then start LINDA.exe and go to the LINDA Setup page. The left hand pane offers options to install the required links in FSUIPC5.ini. After you set start with simulator, LINDA will run automatically when you open P3D.

As you suggest you will need to assign the appropriate functions to the buttons on your joysticks. You will find these in the LIB:Default FSX pop up menu. The best advice is to assign the obvious ones first and test that they work. After saving any assignments you need to click on Reload LUA Engine to restart LINDA to register them. Finally ensure that LINDA is sync-ed to your aircraft by clicking SYNC TO SIM to highlight the aircraft name in orange.

Note any common functions you assign to the default aircraft will also be available to all other aircraft (appearing green on the joystick page) unless you assign another function for that aircraft. For example, my view reset and zoom in/out functions are used for all aircraft.

Once you have got the Default aircraft working you can download and install the aircraft specific modules available. This is best done by using the automatic method. Click on Maintenance page, select the downloaded folder and click install.

If you are familiar with FSUIPC you should not have too many problems. If you hit any issues please come back to me.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

OK... was able to set up the default Carenado A36 Bonanza and all went well. Feel comfortable with LINDA menu system and key assignments. Controls responding just great.

I'm considering moving on to setting up my PDMG 737NG. I have read the install tutorial instructions and it seems fairly simple and straightforward.

What I don't have my head wrapped around yet is the relationship between my FSUIPC axes profiles and the LINDA modules.

I'm about to set up a few new Profiles in FSUIPC. The first will be the 737NGX. I suspect I will then be making separate axes profiles for the Q400 and Manfred Jahns' DC3 twin engine. Each has a bit different configuration for throttle, prop, condition lever, mixture etc that should be set up in a profile specific FSUIPC profile.

Do I just add a new axes profile for the 737, assign control axes, let FSUIPC create a Specific Profile, and not even worry about the LINDA/FSUIPC specific profile interaction?. Does FSUIPC will just load the specific profile when I load the aircraft and I can then turn to LINDA for button assignments that LINDA is going to expose? Perhaps I'm over complicating the relationship between the two. Is it just transparent to use both together?

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by Radial9

Hi Bob

LINDA only handles buttons presses from joystick devices received via FSUIPC. The advantage is that sophisticated functions can be used to operate multiple switches with one push.

All axes (roll, pitch, yaw, etc) must be configured in FSUIPC itself. It is advisable to set these up as profiles for individual aircraft or types of aircraft. For example, a Cessna C172 needs only one throttle and a mixture lever whereas an airliner has 2 or more throttles and no mixture. To do this, tick the Profles box on the FSUIPC Axes tab and name the profile before making your assignments. 

I agree that you may be over thinking the whole process. FSUIPC and LINDA are designed to make the assignment of axes and buttons easier than the default control options in FSX/P3D. In fact I have all Flt Sim assignments disabled to avoid conflict. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Andrew,

I have most all the default aircraft controls configured and am beginning to look to using some of the aircraft specific modules. Working out well learning LINDA.

I downloaded the A2A Bonanza V tail and all went well there. Slowly learning what I can and cannot get done with the LINDA module.

The other aircraft I fly often is the Majestic Q400. I'm going to make an assumption that most of the exposed controls in the download module are for the MCP going back to 2013. I did note the GSX addition in the most recent versions.

One of these days I'm going to start my serious training with the PMDG 737NGX. There is just so much more to learn in the Q400 and it is a real pleasure to fly now that I have spent some time with it. Would I just be better off using the default LINDA module rather than mucking with the LINDA Q400 which is not built for my GoFlight -MCP Pro?

I am seeing my two GF-P8's and the GF-T8-2 show up in LINDA, and I am able to assign buttons and use them as a joysticks with good results.

I suppose I should just begin assigning VC switches and knobs in the Q400 to these as well as my TM Warthog Throttle and HOTAS for functionality and see what works and what doesn't.

Thoughts?

Bob

Hi Bob

Glad most things are working for you. I personally would use the LINDA Majestic Q400 module. For your GF devices, I suggest you investigate FSUIPC and its GF functionality. See the FSUIPC document in /modules folder.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hello Again... I ventured out a bit today and tried to map the Milviz Beaver profile. I downloaded it, found the linda.config section was empty, so just moved the Beaver folder from Linda/Aircrafts into the correct aircraft folder in the Linda folder in modules.

The Linda Configuration header does read Beaver, and I can see drop out choices for the Beaver when I right click a button. I tried to simply set the panel lights to a toggle. Assigned fine, either using FSX menu or the choices from the new Beaver sections, either way I get the same control assigned to button 19 in red. However, when I click save, the red control text just disappears and it reverts back to empty. Same result if I assign a keystroke.

What might I be doing incorrectly??

Thanks!

Edited by Radial9