Sign in to follow this  
flotmangooner

G-sync 4k monitor

Hi,

I want to upgrade my 26" HD monitor to a 4k monitor and was wondering whether it is worth spending an extra £200-£300 on a g-sync enabled monitor or will I not see much benefit to justify such an increase in cost? 

My PC spec is :

Intel i7 Coffee Lake 8700K 3.7Ghz

Asus PRIME-P Z370 – Motherboard

32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 Mhz Memory

Western Digital 1TB M2 NAND Solid State Drive

NVidia GTX 1080Ti

Many thanks 

Edited by flotmangooner
Typo

I´m using a Acer Predator XB321HK with G-Sync i don`t see a difference with G-Sync on or of, but this is maybee because i usually don`t reach more then 30 FPS.

So from my side: No it doesen`t justify the cost.  Only if you play FPS or other games with higher FPS than P3D.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

3 hours ago, flotmangooner said:

Hi,

I want to upgrade my 26" HD monitor to a 4k monitor and was wondering whether it is worth spending an extra £200-£300 on a g-sync enabled monitor or will I not see much benefit to justify such an increase in cost? 

You don’t mention a budget or a screen size. The sweet spot for UHD is 32”. I don’t know what G-Sync does but my BenQ PD3200U doesn’t have it and it’s not a problem. I enable Vsync and triple buffering with unlimited fps. It’s great.

Either mine or the EW3270U will suit you nicely. Incidentally, they’re not 4K, they’re UHD - 3840*2160. 4K is 4096*2160.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

According me we have a gop from 2 years with good monitor (with size 32’’) and 4K on the market with G-sync with higher size. Many from this part has 60 Hz of refresh rate what isnt good idea (100 is minimum). For me G-sync is obligatory, I have 27’’ with 144 refresh rate and Id like to change it in 2019 /20 (for 32’’) but Im waiting still for proper Hz.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, 331BK said:

I´m using a Acer Predator XB321HK with G-Sync i don`t see a difference with G-Sync on or of, but this is maybee because i usually don`t reach more then 30 FPS.

So from my side: No it doesen`t justify the cost.  Only if you play FPS or other games with higher FPS than P3D.

I run an ASUS PG279Q (QHD - 1440p) which is a Gsync monitor, and for P3D I'd never go back to a non-Gsync monitor. The advantage of Gsync over Vsync with a fixed refresh of say 30Hz, is that you get the same non-stuttering smoothness when your fps drops below the monitor refresh rate, where with Vsync, anytime you don't maintain fps at least as high as the refresh rate, your going to get stutters. Any recent Gsync model will work great with fps as low as 1, and as high as the monitor refresh rate.

Watch this video to see how Gsync works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

6 hours ago, somiller said:

I run an ASUS PG279Q (QHD - 1440p) which is a Gsync monitor, and for P3D I'd never go back to a non-Gsync monitor. The advantage of Gsync over Vsync with a fixed refresh of say 30Hz, is that you get the same non-stuttering smoothness when your fps drops below the monitor refresh rate, where with Vsync, anytime you don't maintain fps at least as high as the refresh rate, your going to get stutters. Any recent Gsync model will work great with fps as low as 1, and as high as the monitor refresh rate.

Watch this video to see how Gsync works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

Kind Regards,

Interesting i thought G-Sync only works till 30 FPS bellow that it`s not working.

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

If you are going to use this monitor for other games besides flight sim, you may want to check out the GeForce forums before you purchase.  A lot of long standing issues that haven't been fixed yet.

Alan

7 hours ago, somiller said:

If G-Sync is so good why isn’t every monitor equipped with it? I did a search and found about 6 UHD ones and none from BenQ. Looking at your hardware if you had a more powerful graphics card you wouldn’t need a G-Sync monitor as the card could maintain 30fps at most places.

Even on a G-Sync monitor 5fps is not going to be a pleasant experience. I would estimate 15 as the absolute minimum to be able to successfully land an aircraft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

in my experience with an asus g-sync 34" you will not get any screen tearing with a g-sync monitor. this is because a g-sync monitor requests a new frame from the GPU every time it is ready not at the FPS interval. tearing is part of one frame and part of the next displaying on the monitor at the same time.
g-sync does not operate below 30FPS... there's no point. at lower refresh rates it will always complete the frame before the GPU sends a new one.

if you don't suffer from screen tearing already then that doesn't mean you won't with a new monitor especially if you are increasing the resolution which can be a significant burden on the GPU.
the benefit of a higher DPI monitor is you don't get jagggies. even with a 2K monitor you can turn AA off in P3D which in turn reduces the load on the GPU (so it can support a higher resolution).
sweet spot ATM is 2K g-sync. not so expensive as 4K too.

g-sync is expensive, that's why it doesn 't come on every monitor. probably more so the license than the actual circuits themselves. free-sync (note the name) is cheaper. some free-sync monitors actually handle g-sync fine but remain incognito... probably to bypass the license fee??

Edited by jpf

@jpf, what resolution is 2K?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

any of the 1440 vertical monitors

(your setup is practically the same as mine except the GPU 1080 and monitor asus rog swift pg348q)

Edited by jpf

21 minutes ago, jpf said:

any of the 1440 vertical monitors

(your setup is practically the same as mine except the GPU 1080 and monitor asus rog swift pg348q)

Is that the official definition of 2K or the popular description? To me 2K means 2048 horizontal resolution and I don't know of any monitor or TV that has that as its native resolution. The closest is 1920*1080 which is FullHD, not 2K.

1440 vertical resolution has a horizontal resolution of 2560 for a 16:9 panel and for a 21:9 one it's 3440. It's called QHD, not 2K.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don’t mention a budget or a screen size. The sweet spot for UHD is 32”. I don’t know what G-Sync does but my BenQ PD3200U doesn’t have it and it’s not a problem. I enable Vsync and triple buffering with unlimited fps. It’s great.

Either mine or the EW3270U will suit you nicely. Incidentally, they’re not 4K, they’re UHD - 3840*2160. 4K is 4096*2160.

OK I'm confused now Ray, not that it's an uncommon occurrence...lol

BenQ certainly markets the EW327OU as 4K, so what am I missing here..??

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/video-enjoyment/ew3270u.html

I'll admit, these are uncharted waters for me when it comes to UHD/4K monitors.

BTW, what kind of frame rates do you get with your GTX 1080 Ti 11gb and your BenQ..??

I noticed in your signature you're running 32 gb of G Skill RAM, I currently have 16 gb of G Skill ripjaws DDR4 2666, would I benefit from upgrading to 32 gigs of RAM...??

You mentioned QHD, my current monitor is QHD and frankly it's pretty awesome.

Thanks.

Edited by SunDevil56

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If G-Sync is so good why isn’t every monitor equipped with it? I did a search and found about 6 UHD ones and none from BenQ. Looking at your hardware if you had a more powerful graphics card you wouldn’t need a G-Sync monitor as the card could maintain 30fps at most places.

Even on a G-Sync monitor 5fps is not going to be a pleasant experience. I would estimate 15 as the absolute minimum to be able to successfully land an aircraft.

Ray,

I'm not sure why you would comment on Gsync monitors, as in you own words..." I don’t know what G-Sync does"...you clearly aren't qualified. Probably best to let those with knowledge and experience discuss Gsync monitors.

I spent my extra $300 on a monitor, and you spent your extra $300 on a video card...mine works for me, and evidently your's works for you...how bout we leave it at that.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

2 hours ago, jpf said:

g-sync does not operate below 30FPS

This is patently false...Gsync works perfectly at any fps at or below monitor refresh rate.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1