Sign in to follow this  
flotmangooner

G-sync 4k monitor

@SunDevil56, your confusion is not your fault. It's the fault of the companies that advertise monitors as UHD/4K as many do including BenQ.

They are different resolutions if you use the letter of the law but are fairly close so for convenience and the eye-catching '4K' all UHD monitors tend to be advertised as 4K.

But 4K in computer terms is 4096, not 4000 and certainly not 3840 which is the actual resolution of UHD. 3840*2160 to be precise. The difference is 256 pixels. Small but different nevertheless.

So the BenQ EW3270OU is a UHD monitor, not a 4K one.

Frame rates once airborne remain at 60 as I have VSync and triple buffering enabled. That locks fps to the monitor refresh rate. On the ground they vary according to airport and number of Ai but rarely less than 25-30.

No, you wouldn't benefit from 32Gb RAM unless you were running many heavy use applications alongside P3D. I bought 32Gb for future-proofing.

QHD is better than FullHD - 30% higher in fact. But UHD is 100% higher so you will see an significant difference. And the 1080Ti is more than capable of running a UHD display. Even at 60Hz the load is around 65-70%.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, somiller said:

Ray,

I'm not sure why you would comment on Gsync monitors, as in you own words..." I don’t know what G-Sync does"...you clearly aren't qualified. Probably best to let those with knowledge and experience discuss Gsync monitors.

I spent my extra $300 on a monitor, and you spent your extra $300 on a video card...mine works for me, and evidently your's works for you...how bout we leave it at that.

Kind Regards,

I limited my comments to noting GSync monitors are few and far between and that 5fps would be unflyable irrespective of whether it was stutter free or not.

Happy to leave it at that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SunDevil56, your confusion is not your fault. It's the fault of the companies that advertise monitors as UHD/4K as many do including BenQ.

They are different resolutions if you use the letter of the law but are fairly close so for convenience and the eye-catching '4K' all UHD monitors tend to be advertised as 4K.

But 4K in computer terms is 4096, not 4000 and certainly not 3840 which is the actual resolution of UHD. 3840*2160 to be precise. The difference is 256 pixels. Small but different nevertheless.

So the BenQ EW3270OU is a UHD monitor, not a 4K one.

Frame rates once airborne remain at 60 as I have VSync and triple buffering enabled. That locks fps to the monitor refresh rate. On the ground they vary according to airport and number of Ai but rarely less than 25-30.

No, you wouldn't benefit from 32Gb RAM unless you were running many heavy use applications alongside P3D. I bought 32Gb for future-proofing.

QHD is better than FullHD - 30% higher in fact. But UHD is 100% higher so you will see an significant difference. And the 1080Ti is more than capable of running a UHD display. Even at 60Hz the load is around 65-70%.

Thanks for the info Ray, i'm looking forward to getting my BenQ, probably middle of next week. The suspense is killing me.. lol

4 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Thanks for the info Ray, i'm looking forward to getting my BenQ, probably middle of next week. The suspense is killing me.. lol

BenQ make great monitors. You'll love it! :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Really interesting comments guys thank you. 

I don't think my budget will extend to a 32" UHD G-Sync monitor so I am going to look for one without G-Sync. 

UHD is the primary reason for the new monitor and I think my spec will run Prepar3D well in UHD unless anyone thinks different? 

8 minutes ago, flotmangooner said:

Really interesting comments guys thank you. 

I don't think my budget will extend to a 32" UHD G-Sync monitor so I am going to look for one without G-Sync. 

UHD is the primary reason for the new monitor and I think my spec will run Prepar3D well in UHD unless anyone thinks different? 

A 1080Ti will be perfect for UHD. Enjoy your search. :smile:👍

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

57 minutes ago, somiller said:

This is patently false...Gsync works perfectly at any fps at or below monitor refresh rate.

Kind Regards,

I'll qualify that for you. somewhere below 40FPS a g-sync monitor will start to duplicate the same frame. below 20FPS it will produce 3 frames that are the same.

Hi again... Need some more advice please... 

As an experiment (in the hope of seeing what Prepar3D looks like in UHD /4k resolution), I have hooked my pc to my 55" 4k LG OLED TV, set the Prepar3D full screen resolution to 3840x2160x32, texture resolution to Ultra and set the resolution of the TV in Nvidia control panel to 3840x2160 but I cannot see any difference whatsoever to when I was running it on my HD 26" monitor. 

I have fiddled around with the graphic settings but nothing improves it. I was expecting to see something similar to the 4k videos I have watched on you tube and can't understand why I'm not seeing any difference. 

Could it be that the TV is simply too big? (I am sitting about 10 feet away from the screen? 

I wanted to show the wife why I want to upgrade to a 4k monitor but she isn't convinced.... 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

@flotmangooner, what's the Windows desktop resolution? I have a feeling P3D in full-screen mode cannot run a higher resolution than that set in Windows. Right-click the desktop, choose Display Settings and see what the Resolution is there. You should also sit closer. Try 3-4ft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@flotmangooner, what's the Windows desktop resolution? I have a feeling P3D in full-screen mode cannot run a higher resolution than that set in Windows. Right-click the desktop, choose Display Settings and see what the Resolution is there. You should also sit closer. Try 3-4ft.

Hi Ray, 

Problem resolved.... 

Desktop resolution was set to 4K but when I first connected the PC to the TV (using a spare HDMI slot) I didn't see anything so I took out the HDMI cable I use for Sky and put the PC HDMI cable in that socket and I then got the desktop on the TV. I then started Prepar3D but it wasn't in 4K which prompted my question earlier. 

The issue was simply resolved by me restarting the PC. Prepar3D was then in 4K which looked simply STUNNING. Even the wife was impressed. 

I had a quick flight out of KSEA and with most of the sliders set to their highest, I was still getting 25-30 fps from the spot view looking from the side/downwards. 

This has made my mind up to get a UHD monitor and will go for a 32" as you recommend. 

One other question ehi h you may know the answer to - I like plenty of animations at airports and saw a video on you tube recently where passengers were actually walking to and from the aircraft. Any idea what software package includes such animations? 

Thanks for your help

Glad it was that simple. Yes, UHD is stunning and 1080Ti and better cards can handle it with ease.

The passenger animations are generated by GSX or more specifically, GSX Level 2 Expansion. Two separate products but you have to buy GSX for the Level 2 to work.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

43 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Glad it was that simple. Yes, UHD is stunning and 1080Ti and better cards can handle it with ease.

The passenger animations are generated by GSX or more specifically, GSX Level 2 Expansion. Two separate products but you have to buy GSX for the Level 2 to work.

Thank you. 

I have downloaded GSX package but have only been using the 'try me' option at the moment. Not seen any walking passengers though. Maybe they aren't included in the 3 trial airports. 

Now to decide which monitor to go for..... 

51 minutes ago, flotmangooner said:

Thank you. 

I have downloaded GSX package but have only been using the 'try me' option at the moment. Not seen any walking passengers though. Maybe they aren't included in the 3 trial airports. 

Now to decide which monitor to go for.....

Walking pax should be included especially at the trial airports. Which FSDT airports do you have?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

57 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Walking pax should be included especially at the trial airports. Which FSDT airports do you have?

Hi 

Been trying it again and now see passengers boarding my Quality Wings Dreamliner parked at KSFO. However there are a couple of things happening (or not as the case maybe...). 

There is a mobile stair positioned at the left rear and passengers are going up them into the aircraft (door L4). However when boarding is complete and I'm instructed to close the doors, they all close OK but I am getting a repeated message to close L4. I have closed it and reopened it several times but GSX is not recognising that the door is closed so I can't do anything else. I have reset the position and done the boarding again but same thing is happening. Just tried it again but its still telling me to close L4 but it is closed - you can actually see it closing but I'm still getting the message to close it. I have also tried not opening that door but passengers still go up the stairs and just walk through the shut door! And when boarding is complete I still get the message to close the door even though I never opened it. Frustrating..... 

Also when the boarding it taking place, I see cargo being loaded, catering trucks turning up, fuel truck but I am not seeing any baggage loaders/belt trucks for some reason? 

@flotmangooner, probably best to post your questions on the GSX forum. Umberto provides excellent support.

Maybe that rear door is not correctly configured in GSX.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather