Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

RTX 2080 - A Performer

41 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Are you certain? The OLED TVs I know of are 3840*2160. That’s 1920*1080 times two aka UHD.

There are some 4096x2160 displays, such as the LG 31MU97-B, a 31" display. There are more, but I suspect currently not many in the UK.

My new Sony projector is also true cinema 4K (and with a laser lamp too, just like the cinema ones 😉).  True, there isn't much material for home users to play at that resolution, but there are consumer video cameras already doing it.

I haven't tried anything at such a resolution yet, not even UHD, though the Samsung screen for my VFR (Piper) cockpit installation is "4K" I've not checked its actual resolution -- the PC I'm using for it needs sorting out first.

The curved Dell screen I'm using for this is 3440x1440, which I though was pretty impressive at the time! (Years ago).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Is it my imagination or do I always upgrade right before the greatest, best ever, most amazing chip and board are released?  (Currently 8700K and 1080Ti) ?

Of course -- that's the Golden Rule of upgrading!  ha ha. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

19 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

There are some 4096x2160 displays, such as the LG 31MU97-B, a 31" display. There are more, but I suspect currently not many in the UK.

My new Sony projector is also true cinema 4K (and with a laser lamp too, just like the cinema ones 😉).  True, there isn't much material for home users to play at that resolution, but there are consumer video cameras already doing it.

I haven't tried anything at such a resolution yet, not even UHD, though the Samsung screen for my VFR (Piper) cockpit installation is "4K" I've not checked its actual resolution -- the PC I'm using for it needs sorting out first.

The curved Dell screen I'm using for this is 3440x1440, which I though was pretty impressive at the time! (Years ago).

Pete

That LG is an oddity. Only 31” diagonal and 17:9 ratio. Reminds me of my Dell 24” 1920*1200. Soon after they lowered the vertical to 1080.

I know projectors can be 4096 but not many have them in home cockpits.

I’d be surprised if your Samsung is 4096. That would be out of step with their other “4K” TVs.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Anyone like to comment on the GTX 1070 TI as a reasonable compromise between the 1070 and 1080? It is very much less expensive than the 1080 and staggeringly cheaper than the 1080ti. It does lag behind a bit from examples I've seen, but not alarmingly so. Anyone here run it?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Upgrade both so you don't have a bottleneck.

Yes, but upgrading both involves a lot more work and cost. I do not really have the money to upgrade much at the moment, so I was wondering what difference a 1070 would make to my existing system.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, robert young said:

Anyone like to comment on the GTX 1070 TI as a reasonable compromise between the 1070 and 1080? It is very much less expensive than the 1080 and staggeringly cheaper than the 1080ti. It does lag behind a bit from examples I've seen, but not alarmingly so. Anyone here run it?

Hello Robert,

I see from your other thread you're planning a new PC. I have no personal experience of the 1070Ti but judging from this comparison site it appears to be almost as powerful as the 1080 which was my previous card before my new system.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4026vs3943

GIven you only intend to run at 1920*1080 and not UHD I think it will be a decent card for you. I would also suggest you look at the i7-8700K or even the i7-8086K if that is still available. Both are excellent CPUs that will transform your enjoyment of P3D. 16Gb of RAM is also fine. I went with 32Gb for future-proofing but there's no guarantee I'll ever need it.

With P3D v4.4 it now utilises all the virtual cores helping to spread the work load. The key to a good system is balance. No point having a Premier League goalkeeper with a League 1 centre-forward. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hello Robert,

I see from your other thread you're planning a new PC. I have no personal experience of the 1070Ti but judging from this comparison site it appears to be almost as powerful as the 1080 which was my previous card before my new system.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4026vs3943

GIven you only intend to run at 1920*1080 and not UHD I think it will be a decent card for you. I would also suggest you look at the i7-8700K or even the i7-8086K if that is still available. Both are excellent CPUs that will transform your enjoyment of P3D. 16Gb of RAM is also fine. I went with 32Gb for future-proofing but there's no guarantee I'll ever need it.

With P3D v4.4 it now utilises all the virtual cores helping to spread the work load. The key to a good system is balance. No point having a Premier League goalkeeper with a League 1 centre-forward. :biggrin:

Chelsea supporter ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robert young said:

Anyone like to comment on the GTX 1070 TI as a reasonable compromise between the 1070 and 1080?

1070ti ftw! with the 1080 you would be able to set more cloud textures at 4096 but that's about it.

34 minutes ago, byronp said:

Chelsea supporter ?

I support Liverpool. :smile:

33 minutes ago, jpf said:

1070ti ftw! with the 1080 you would be able to set more cloud textures at 4096 but that's about it.

Please explain what ftw means.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Please explain what ftw means.

I'm not real up on all the netspeak jargon Ray, but I think it translates to "for the win"... lol

Just now, SunDevil56 said:

I'm not real up on all the netspeak jargon Ray, but I think it translates to "for the win"... lol

That's a new one on me, thanks. Plain English is always best as English is not the first language for many here.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's a new one on me, thanks. Plain English is always best as English is not the first language for many here.

No worries Ray. 

English is my native tongue, but I must admit I struggle sometimes with the netspeak etc.. When in doubt I consult google or the "urban dictionary"..lol  And yes, there actually is such a thing..😁

BTW, I got notice my BenQ will be delivered by FedEx on Wednesday. I've already downloaded the PDF versions of the users manuals and quick setup guide so i'll have a leg up on getting it going quickly once it arrives. I bet you can sense i'm just a little excited about this... lol

7 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

No worries Ray. 

English is my native tongue, but I must admit I struggle sometimes with the netspeak etc.. When in doubt I consult google or the "urban dictionary"..lol  And yes, there actually is such a thing..😁

BTW, I got notice my BenQ will be delivered by FedEx on Wednesday. I've already downloaded the PDF versions of the users manuals and quick setup guide so i'll have a leg up on getting it going quickly once it arrives. I bet you can sense i'm just a little excited about this... lol

I hope you have some nice 3rd party aircraft with lots of gauges. Those look fantastic in UHD. I'm still trying various things to get the clouds looking the way I like. This time next week you'll be having a ball! You'll be impressed with the build quality.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

***I hope you have some nice 3rd party aircraft with lots of gauges.*** Those look fantastic in UHD.

I'm still trying various things to get the clouds looking the way I like. This time next week you'll be having a ball! You'll be impressed with the build quality.

More than I can count... lol

FWIW, I use Rex 4 texture direct and with detailed clouds and cloud shadows set in P3D, and the effect is simply amazing. I really need to post a short video sometime.

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you’re reacting to my post it helps if you quote me. You should always run at native resolution otherwise the image quality will suffer.

But those extra 200pixels look so good.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER