Sign in to follow this  
teepee69

finding the complete kneeboard .

I have recently managed to upgrade FS2004 to Windows 10 after a few hiccups and have begun learning to fly again after too many years away from the game. I've found, however, that when keying to bring up the kneeboard, all I get is the top left side only with nowhere near enough information. Does anyone know how I can shift this window to the left and up so that it can be read?  

In line with this problem, can anyone tell me how to access aircraft operating info ( ie. Vmax, V1, flap speeds, etc. ) without using the kneeboard?

It might help more if you show a screenshot of exactly what is happening. Does the same thing happen if you open the kneeboard with FS in windowed mode?

Mark Daniels

On 1/2/2019 at 4:46 AM, teepee69 said:

In line with this problem, can anyone tell me how to access aircraft operating info ( ie. Vmax, V1, flap speeds, etc. ) without using the kneeboard?

Hi.

I use pop-up panels for persistent stuff like V-speeds and mixture settings. I still use the kneeboard for maps, especially simplified approach plates, though on a high res monitor the kneeboard is so small as to be almost useless. At least it doesn't obscure the view...

Pop-up panels in a nutshell:

type up the info you want using notepad or whatever
take a screenshot
make a bitmap image of the screenshot and edit it as you wish
save the bitmap
declare it as a panel for your preferred aircraft

Links below to pictures of a quick & dirty mixture settings panel I made for the RealAir SF-260.

Have fun.
D

PA-34 with custom seneca_ref.htm.

One old panel & my new panel. There is a typo at 5000 feet.

The bitmap file in the correct folder.

Declared in panel.cfg.

Edited by Dave Morgan
typo

I should have included this in the previous post but it refers to your original question so never mind...

When you say all you have is the top left of the kneeboard, do you mean the whole panel is visible but only part of the black&white text shows? There are scroll-bars on the kneeboard surround, just like in any other window.

The only way of getting all the text to show in one piece (or at least complete lines of text) is to rewrite the checklist and reference documents for each aircraft. It's time consuming but I once found it worth doing. On the other hand, changing to a higher res monitor means you'll probably have to rewrite everything a second time. Here's a kneeboard checklist for my PA-34 that was written for a 1440 px wide monitor. As you can see, it's no good on a 2560 px monitor, but really I can't be bothered redoing it. The scroll bars are visible on the bottom and right edges of the text.

D

Edited by Dave Morgan
spelling...

My thanks to responders, especially Dave. Your comment on scroll bars triggered my (must be) addled mind. All I needed to do was find the spot at which I could drag it ( top left of frame ) and hey presto! I'm up and running again. Sometimes I have to wonder about me!!