Sign in to follow this  
zap51

My FSX has stopped working. Need help!

I was getting an 'Exception: 11' error with drubware an unable to run FS Cabin Crew.  When I contacted drubware support I was instructed to reinstall FSX Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 and try again.  I reinstalled both disc one and then disc two.  When I was done I tried to start FSX.  The loading screen would come up for a minute or so then FSX would crash.  Nothing.  I restarted my computer and updated my driver for my display adapter.  Every time I try to start FSX it crashes before it loads.  I looked at event viewer and got this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c1699
Faulting process id: 0x27b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d49de87d476bba
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\g3d.dll
Report Id: ecbe747c-cbc7-4e17-afd8-72011c57f1fe
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

So far I haven't been able to work this out. This is very frustrating.  Trying to fix one problem then getting another.  I love this hobby. What could be the problem?

https://www.avsim.com/files/file/93-avsim-ctd-guide/   Here is a link to download the following guide.

Look in the right column of the Forums  page and you will see an item labeled "Avsim CTD Guide".  Read this and you will probably find the solution to your problem.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, zap51 said:

I was getting an 'Exception: 11' error with drubware an unable to run FS Cabin Crew.  When I contacted drubware support I was instructed to reinstall FSX Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 and try again.  I reinstalled both disc one and then disc two.  When I was done I tried to start FSX.  The loading screen would come up for a minute or so then FSX would crash.  Nothing.  I restarted my computer and updated my driver for my display adapter.  Every time I try to start FSX it crashes before it loads.  I looked at event viewer and got this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c1699
Faulting process id: 0x27b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d49de87d476bba
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\g3d.dll
Report Id: ecbe747c-cbc7-4e17-afd8-72011c57f1fe
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

So far I haven't been able to work this out. This is very frustrating.  Trying to fix one problem then getting another.  I love this hobby. What could be the problem?

Since Windows 8, Windows has developed a habit of throwing out errors about perfectly good dlls. It could be the case here

Every flight simmer needs to be aware of this, as it can happen with ANY third party dll.

You may want to read this thread

• Like 1

Just curious as to why you put the 2 install discs in when they said to reinstall SP1 and SP2?  I think the only option is to Repair when FSX is already installed.  Repair option will hose your install if the 2 SPs are not uninstalled first. (As you found out).

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

charlieaton, I did select repair.  That's what I was instructed to do, install the discs.

Guy, I do appreciate the responses.  FS++, my error did not come from an fsinsider.dll issue.  When I did a Event Viewer it seemed to point to g3d.dll as a possible issue.

Regardless of how it happened, I think you are at the point where it will be faster to reinstall FSX.  Now normally that's not a happy thing, however this is a perfect opporunity to upgrade to FSX Steam Edition, which is significantly enhanced version of FSX Acceleration.  You can often find FSX Steam Edition (FSX:SE) on sale for only $5 USD. 

Trust me my friend, FSX:SE is a significant step up from what you are currently using.  There are only a small number of FSX Addons which are not compatible with FSX:SE, just check the product page for the addons and that should let you know.  That said, I'd ditch a non-compatible addon and stay with FSX:SE... in a heart beat.

If you do this, please uninstall your FSX Addons, then uninstall SP2, then SP1, then FSX, reboot, and then manually remove any remaining Addon and/or FSX related folders.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

My FSX addons will be compatible with FSX:SE, correct?  Where can I get it for $5?  Thanks for the support.

58 minutes ago, zap51 said:

My FSX addons will be compatible with FSX:SE, correct?  Where can I get it for $5?  Thanks for the support.

I think all of your addons will be compatible as FSX-SE is simply an enhanced FSX.

Check on Steam. If you don't have an account you can set one up painlessly.  Steam is having their Winter sale right now and FSX-SE might well be on sale for $5.

Like you, I own the original disks including the Accelerate disks.  When Steam first release FSX-SE (Steam Edition) for 5$ I bought it immediately because I knew it would come in handy in the future. And, it has.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

10 hours ago, zap51 said:

I restarted my computer and updated my driver for my display adapter.  Every time I try to start FSX it crashes before it loads.

For the future.  The very first action I have ever taken when this type of error begins is to either: a) copy back to the appropriate file location a known good backup copy of my FSX.cfg file; and b) a known good copy of my scenery.cfg file.  I do not touch anything until I have tried those.

Yes, I have to then go through the drill of answering a high quantity of "do you trust this" prompts when FSX starts and sees newer addons since that backup, but answering those prompts consumes incredibly less time than reinstalling the simulator and all the addons, one by one.

With that process I have only had to go to option 3 twice in 20 years.  Option 3 was to revert to a clone backup of my hard disk, which is never more than 30 days old. Just swapped it into system  in place of the faulty one, then used it as the target for a new clone.  The cloning process takes about an hour!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have installed FSX Steam.  I have to say, I am rather disappointed.  I am having more problems with Steam than I did with FSX.  Out of memory errors, orbx not working properly.   I am considering reinstalling FSX.

Edited by zap51

I heard FSX Steam works better and it is exactly the same as FSX w/Acceleration but with maybe a couple of modifications to make it run better.  I still use FSX.  You did not have to uninstall FSX (boxed) as both versions will run on the same PC.  The problem with this though is add-ons like Orbx may get confused.  I have both FSX and P3D installed and when I installed Orbx products, P3D was reading the files in the FSX installation.  I had to make some modifications as some Orbx products are not compatible with FSDT stuff unless you turn off some files in the Orbx directory and the Scenery/World/Scenery folder.  I did everything right but, everytime I started up P3D and went to an Orbx scenery, there were elevation problems and it looked I had done nothing to make the product compatible.  I spent hours reviewing all the details of what files had to be removed and double-checked them again but still had problems.  Then accidentally, I saw where my P3D scenery.cfg was linking the Orbx directories to my FSX installation.  What a mess!  So, needless to say, since I upgraded to my current system, I decided no more Orbx.  It's now MegaScenery and FSDT and FlightBeam. 

You need to disable your Orbx scenery until you get FSX-SE running properly.  In fact you might want to go into your scenery.cfg and disable all of your addon sceneries until you get the sim running properly.  Out of member errors in FSX and FSX-SE are common as they are 32 bit programs operating in a 64 bit OS environment.  You don't get much virtual address space.  Why many have now moved to P3DV4.  The AVSIM CTD Guide proves solutions for fixing any out of member errors but there is no permanent fix.  On a rainy day you might get a lot of out of memory errors but run the same scenario without rain and there will be no problems.  I would try to work with FSX Steam.  AVSIM has an excellent FSX Forum where you can ask your questions about Orbx there.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

You did not have to uninstall FSX (boxed) as both versions will run on the same PC.

Jim,

I would really encourage anyone making the swap from FSX boxed to FSX SE to completely uninstall FSX boxed.  Then after uninstallation use a combination of CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller to remove any bits that remain.

The reason being, that if you have both installed,  FSX SE will create all new directories with the SE suffix.  On the other hand, if you don't have both installed then FSX SE will create directories with the FSX boxed names.  In other words FSX instead of FSX_SE, or what ever the suffix is.

This makes it really great for installing add-ons because the addon thinks that it is being installed into FSX box, so no messing with incorrect directories, multiple locations, etc.

I know that it's possible to work with both, but oh so simple with just one.  The key though is to remove 'ALL' traces of FSX boxed.

IMHO,

Ernie

• Like 2

Ernest Pergrem