Sign in to follow this  
ols500

GTX 1060 to a GTX 1080 say goodbye to stutters?

Hi, I'm really thinking of buying a GTX 1080 or a GTX 1080ti then a 4K monitor. My GTX 1060 6GB is good and can handle even the PMDG 777 at Gatwick with 25fps! However, I get stutters. I have determined that my GTX 1060 6GB is the bottleneck causing these stutters. I can remove these an get a fluid experience by turning on V-sync and triple buffering, leaving fps on unlimed. But, I have to be achieving 60fps (because of my 60Hz monitor) meaning I can only really be smooth with no stutters at cruise. I know you can set to 1/2 refresh rate in Nvidia Inspector and I have tried that. But again it's only smooth if your PC can continuously maintain 30fps, which mine can't. It's very unstable, one minute I'm 40fps then in 16!. So if I get a GTX 1080 would the PC be able to maintain a steady 30fps so I could put 1/2 refresh rate in NI with V-sync on? If and only if I'm still getting stutters, I would buy a 4K monitor and set the refresh rate to 30Hz and do the trick which removes stutters. There is one more way I thought I could remove the stutters. For it to work I would have to maintain 60fps all the time, what kind of immense hardware would I need to provide this? I run Orbx, PMDG, addon scenery so It would have to be beefy! Do you think a GTX 1080ti would cut it?

My Pc:

i5 8600K @4.7Ghz

GTX 1060 6GB upgrading to a GTX 1080.

8GB of RAM (I am switching to 16GB @3000Mhz in March)

P3D on a 2TB HHD

BenQ GW2270 monitor @60Hz

P3D V4 config=https://www.dropbox.com/s/na1dumhjzw5sooo/Prepar3D.cfg?dl=0

Thanks, Ollie. 

4K Monitor trick:

)

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

I think you need to upgrade your processor. I recommend an i7-4770, but if you have more money, I recommend the i7-8700k.
But, I think the GTX 1080ti might make it smoother, but I'm not sure, since I never had bad stutters, and I don't own a GTX 1080.

All I can say, is that, you might want to consider getting a new processor instead.

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

Really? Ok, I'll see what others say, but thanks for your input! My CPU does go up to 100% sometimes, maybe that's the issue 🤔

Thanks, Ollie.

what leaps out at me is that monitor has to go before you upgrade anything. the rest of your system is pretty sensible but as already mentioned a 1080 is not going to break much of a sweat unless you upgrade your CPU (motherboard & ram??)

if you haven't messed about with affinity masks and whatnot the 100% on core0 and 70-80% on the rest will be your CPU running as effectively as you can expect. DVI on your monitor is going to restrict the benefits of a 1080.

I would probably consider an SSD to start tbh .

3 minutes ago, jpf said:

what leaps out at me is that monitor has to go before you upgrade anything. the rest of your system is pretty sensible but as already mentioned a 1080 is not going to break much of a sweat unless you upgrade your CPU (motherboard & ram??)

So maybe:

i7 8700K @4.7Ghz

GTX 1080 (HDMI cable)

16GB RAM

4K monitor @30Hz 

to remove stutters?

Sorry, I have a Z370-P Motherboard

Edited by ols500

Your CPU is totally fine!

Stutters could be slow memory, or yeah it could be your gpu saturated.  Can you download something like GPUz and see if it's running maxed out?  For a 4k I'd go GTX 1080 ti as a minimum.  Rtx 2080 ti better but that's a super pricey card.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

if your z370-p has an m.2 socket then add an M.2 drive. that alone might cure your stutters.

19 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

GPUz and see if it's running maxed out? 

Yes, I have GPUZ my GPU sits around 54% usage. When I get Stutters some of my CPU cores spike to 100%.

2 minutes ago, jpf said:

if your z370-p has an m.2 socket then add an M.2 drive. that alone might cure your stutters.

I know a bit about computers, however, you have lost me on this one. Can you please explain an "M.2 Socket" and what a "M.2 drive" is?

Thanks, Ollie.

Alright, what settings are you using in P3D?  If you really need 60 you'll have to dial back a lot and don't expect high end scenery and aircraft addons to work together at 60.  30 should be doable though.  I'm just not so sure your current video card is the issue... although I suspect it is part of the problem.  I noticed you have 8GB of RAM.   With your system up and running, P3D up and other software running, you sure you're not paging?  IE your RAM is almost all used up?  I was getting stutters in XP11 and this was happening.  Since going to 16GB ram no issues.... (although my video card is a GTX 980 4GB and that easily becomes overwhelmed).

edit:  Apparently I can't comprehend today.  You're actually using a spinny 7200rpm HDD?  A cheap Samsung SSD like the 960 evo would probably help as well.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, jpf said:

Changing your monitor to 4k is not going to cure anything...

Maybe a monitor that will run at 30 Hz might be good.. or indeed a better video card.

A 1080 should run noticeably smoother than a 1060!

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Hi Bert, 

Ideally, I don't want to run at 4K, but no standard 1080x1920 monitor goes down to 30Hz, only 4K monitors. If I want to run smooth 30FPS I need to change the refresh rate to 30Hz. If I did have to go 4K I would need a GTX 1080Ti, not a standard GTX 1080, which I am planning for.

Thanks, Ollie.

44 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Changing your monitor to 4k is not going to cure anything...

I agree but that monitor isn't going to adequately support a better GPU... specifically it's only D-SUB or DVI.