Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

XP Take off Question

Super generic question here but I was wondering something.  The same result has happened in multiple AC for me in XP, but when I take off and am reaching rotation speed, I start to pull back on the yoke/sidestick, the AC starts to pull away from the ground, once the main gear starts to leave the ground, it seems the nose wants to instantly dip back towards the ground and I need to react with a brief (what I felt) is an excessive amount of back pressure on the controls to maintain a proper climbout (and not smash back on to the runway).  I thought I wasn't trimming the AC properly but it seems unless I over compensate on trim itll happen most times.  The flip side is if I overcompensate on the trim, Ill have to put a bit of forward pressure to avoid excessive AoA and a possible stall.  I guess my questions are - is this normal in the real world and just an XP thing?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Welcome to the Xplane world. It happens to me also. always has since 11.26 or even before. Ground effects or such are not quite right! Landing about the same when time for ground effects to start effecting aircraft. It just drops like a rock.

Just now, Adrian123 said:

Welcome to the Xplane world. It happens to me also. always has since 11.26 or even before. Ground effects or such are not quite right! Landing about the same when time for ground effects to start effecting aircraft. It just drops like a rock.

Ok im not crazy then lol!  Ive heard a few rumblings that ground effect isnt right I just thought itd be fixed by now.  I've certainly noticed on my landings as well!  My project fly app in XP im always in the 350-550 in landing rate!  In P3d between 100-250.  XP seems to lose all lift over the ground.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Nope. Not crazy you would think it would be by now. Guess they think other things are more important. Some will argue it's because your use to FS, well that I dont believe is the case. if you trim to prevent it, you will have the nose up 1/2 way through the takeoff roll. That's not good.

Edited by Adrian123

The ground effect model should have been improved for the 11.30 release. 11.30 isn't out of beta yet though (release candidate 2 currently), so to get it you have to click on "check for betas" or something like that when updating.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

You guys are crazy or something wrong with your settings. No problems here.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

It's diffidently an Xplane deal. a few developers have compensated for it in their models.

Edited by Adrian123

9 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

It's diffidently an Xplane deal. a few developers have compensated for it in their models.

That sorta sucks.  Doing that means whenever they get to fixing it will break things.  Hopefully they fix ground effect AND the popping light lighting already.  Honestly when they get night lighting working at a proper distance without the popping this sim will be 100% immersion at night for me.  The repetitive texture thing they're doing now is better than the pitch blackness that it used to be but still not enough as the actual lights still pop in.  Sorry - slid off topic as I descend in to boston and notice the potential here haha.  Here's to not breaking landing gear on touch down!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

Check your control sensitivity in settings, don't use stability augmentation (set to zero), this slider interferes a lot with the flight dynamics.

Alexander Colka

1 minute ago, alexcolka said:

Check your control sensitivity in settings, don't use stability augmentation (set to zero), this slider interferes a lot with the flight dynamics.

Been through all that a few 100 times. Doesnt do it with all aircraft. 0 to 100. 100 to 0. if that is the case, there is a problem with the calibration, trim etc within Xplane.

Edited by Adrian123

I have a Lua script that allows adjustment of null zones.  The sim tells me I'm using too much but I had that bobbing pitch and it's cured.  Another item that might be a factor - if takeoff pitch trim isn't close, as you raise the nose to become airborne you tend to relax pressure on the stick to avoid excessive nose up.  When you relax, the nose will want to return to takeoff trim.

5 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

I have a Lua script that allows adjustment of null zones.  The sim tells me I'm using too much but I had that bobbing pitch and it's cured.  Another item that might be a factor - if takeoff pitch trim isn't close, as you raise the nose to become airborne you tend to relax pressure on the stick to avoid excessive nose up.  When you relax, the nose will want to return to takeoff trim.

can you give the name of the Lua script?

Edited by Adrian123

The script is named 'Deadzones.lua  and below is the .txt file.

-- Simple deadzone script by DevereM
-- Requires FlyWithLua

-- In case if you don't know how to edit, here goes a little how to
-- Think of each of the values below as percent
-- 1.0 is 100% deadzone, meaning that input wouldn't be accepted unless you pull the stick fully
-- 0.095 is then 9.5% and so on
-- Have fun!

-- DON'T EDIT THIS PART
dataref("Elevator_deadzone", "sim/joystick/joystick_pitch_nullzone", "writable")
dataref("Airelons_deadzone", "sim/joystick/joystick_roll_nullzone", "writable")
dataref("Rudder_deadzone", "sim/joystick/joystick_heading_nullzone", "writable")

-- EDIT HERE
Elevator_deadzone = 0.200
Airelons_deadzone = 0.105
Rudder_deadzone = 0.200

What AC are you guys noticing this behavior? I did over dozen takeoff in the default 172 and it behaves fairly realistic to the 172s I rent from my local FBO.  Rember you have to keep some back pressure on the yolk, and as you fly out of ground effect you are going to lose a little lift......

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Generally it does not exhibit it in default aircraft. I notice it more in Carenado aircraft and a coupple addons IXEG 737.