Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

XP Take off Question

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

Generally it does not exhibit it in default aircraft. I notice it more in Carenado aircraft and a coupple addons IXEG 737.

Well that explains it! You should really post this in the Carenado Forum! Austin is constantly tweaking the flight dynamics with each new version of XP, so whatever worked in the previous version is probably not going to work perfectly in the next version with AC.  That seems to be the pattern with Carenado. They don't seem to have an easy way to publish an update with so many 3rd party stores that are selling their AC and the number of planes they have authored.   

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

26 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Well that explains it! You should really post this in the Carenado Forum! Austin is constantly tweaking the flight dynamics with each new version of XP, so whatever worked in the previous version is probably not going to work perfectly in the next version with AC.  That seems to be the pattern with Carenado. They don't seem to have an easy way to publish an update with so many 3rd party stores that are selling their AC and the number of planes they have authored.   

I just tried with the default 737..not Zibo. Did the same dipping thing. It probably both XP and addons .Austin Powers is constantly screwing things up IMO.

13 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I just tried with the default 737..not Zibo. Did the same dipping thing. It probably both XP and addons .Austin Powers is constantly screwing things up IMO.

What you may be experiencing is the horizontal stabiliser going into ground effect which occurs at approximately 10 degs of rotation on the 737. This increases lift on the horizontal stabiliser, making the nose want to pitch down again. It takes additional back pressure to maintain the rotation through this point. If you do not increase the back pressure at this point the rotation will stop and the aircraft may settle. That is exactly how the real aircraft behaves, so things may not be as screwed up as they appear on the surface.

• Like 2

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

As mentioned above, when discussing possible flaws in the XP flight model, it's important to test with the default aircraft. Especially during a beta cycle like this, they're the only ones fully updated with the latest changes. Third party aircraft often lag behind and need later updates. I'm still waiting for the Carenado PC-12 update, which won't arrive until some time after 11.30 goes final.

Also, this may be obvious, but with anything that involves testing ground effect, you need a fast enough frame rate to see and feel the effects. I don't notice ground effect until my frame rate is at least 30 FPS, and it's more noticeable up around 35 FPS or better. Try landing at small airports without complex scenery, if you're not able to hit that steady 30-35 FPS minimum frame rate. 

That's just the minimum for testing ground effect (IMO): default aircraft, fast frame rate. There is still room for improvement, especially regarding that sudden drop when landing. I think Laminar is aware of that, so it should be dealt with at some point. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Interesting feedback everyones providing.  Kind of why I wanted to make this post as Im not real world pilot, and haven't flown a real cessna 172 im over 10 years.  Especially as I mostly fly airliners in sim I don't know whats lack of experience to be had from the real thing, and whats but/not intended from the sim.  Makes sense flying out of ground effect would cause a change in the required back pressure, it just seemed excessive to me.  Also flying the FF A320 which is still in beta may not be close to the real thing either.  Ill give some of the defaults a shot too and see how they fair.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

I’ve only found one or two addons to exhibit the “Stick-to-the-ground” effect, when properly trimmed for takeoff. 

I do think ground effect needs some work in XP, but mostly the GA planes I fly exhibit reasonably faithful takeoff behavior. At least as close to life as the landings are. 

This was one of the biggest differences i noticed moving from P3D to X-Plane.  If I rotate using my muscle memory from P3D I’like be at risk of nosediving into the runway, I certainly need a different technique in x-plane. I’m not sure which sim is closer to reality.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU